It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Forum rules

Related:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:35 pm 

The package was destroyed. The preservation project is now truly dead.

EDIT: Smarthuman's continued generosity, among other things, means that the preservation project is not quite dead, but really close. Still, the contents of this post below the line hold true.

Good news! The games have been located!

==================================

Hello, everyone. I'm sorry to bother you all about a problem that isn't even mine (and when I have such little cred here), but this is urgent:

byuu, the author of higan, arranged to have a box of 100 PAL SNES games shipped from Germany to his home for him to scan and preserve, but they have not arrived. It has been more than 45 days as of this writing since it was first sent out from Germany.

This package's estimated value is between $5,000 and $10,000, and it is really important that he receive it so that he can scan the cartridges and send them back to their owner. If the package is lost, byuu will dedicate years of his life reimbursing the owner for every single lost cartridge, he will never receive another package of SNES games again, and SNES preservation will be over permanently. That means the Japanese Super Famicom cartridges will not be preserved, either.

Unfortunately, USPS is incompetent when it counts. byuu filed a missing mail complaint 15 days ago, but to this day, it has been ignored. He has attempted to contact them on Twitter and Reddit, but in both cases, USPS employees have refused to lift a finger to help.

We need to raise awareness and get a senior representative of USPS to respond, and byuu's efforts alone are not enough to make that happen, so here I am on NesDev, spreading the word.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get USPS to do their jobs? byuu has offered a $500 commission to anyone that can help him get his package. If you are unable to contact USPS directly, you can still help; just spread the word to other forums or social media sites you frequent, or write to any media you think might be interested. Even a YouTube video will help.

The full details can be found on byuu's forums.

Last edited by hex_usr on Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:14 pm 

USPS is slow. It has only been a week since the last scan. So the package is in the system. Be prepared to wait.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:35 pm 

The only difference between this package and Byuu's previous package is that this one had to survive a presidential inauguration, and people protesting a travel ban. Even so, the package did eventually make it to the US, so it really is just a matter of transport at this point.

With something as precious as 100 PAL SNES games though, I can understand Byuu being upset and panicking over a sudden exponential increase in delays, but the answer really could be to just give it more time, even though +35 days is a worrying amount of leeway to give.

Edit: I also like all the people being so quick to conclude that it's been stolen or lost... do you honestly think a bunch of postal workers are going to care about a box of old video games? Also, given the potential for delays due to us changing presidents and stuff, it might be too early to declare it "lost".

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:14 pm 

Many people have told byuu to wait as well. But he has an example of a package which hasn't moved in over half a year (which isn't byuu's own package, by the way), and he knows that there are many more that are stuck like that one. If you do trust that it will eventually make it to him, just remember that he's heard it all before, and even if it does, it's possible that he will have started the reimbursement process then.

byuu wrote:
If they had a backlog that big, it would be affecting all customers, and would be national news. Regardless of which case it is, waiting isn't going to do anything. There are endless cases of people reporting this and having packages that never showed up...

And I'm not sure, but I think USPS are strangely selective and/or random about which packages get held up like this. I ordered an NES PowerPak which started shipping no earlier than 2017-01-26 (judging by the modify dates on the included Compact Flash card), and it arrived at my house on 2016-01-30 2017-01-30, or only 4 days at most (but it came from California, not New Jersey). On the other hand, byuu had previously arranged for another set of PAL cartridges prior to this one, and that arrived just fine after 10 days. This one is identical in every way except for the actual games themselves.

EDIT: corrected typo as pointed out by tokumaru.

Last edited by hex_usr on Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:18 pm 

1. Don't panic yet. Unless the destination is 1/4 mile from the warehouse, it's not likely to arrive on the same day.
2. I've had UPS/Fedex turn around and send things through the post system when I lived in a more rural area. Thus enduring an extra week in transit and no confirmation from them.

The key thing is, If it was lost, it would never be "In transit", it would have disappeared immediately before that. The only possibility is that the delivery vehicle had an accident/ran-out-of-fuel or it was stolen. If it was stolen you'd likely see a "delivered" notification, as nobody is going to steal something off a delivery vehicle unless they planned it.

So I'd probably suggest giving it about 2 weeks and if nothing happens, contact the media about USPS stealing/misplacing a $10,000 video game collection.

(I live in Canada, and it's not unusual to have to wait 5 weeks for items sent from Europe or Asia, but things from the US tend to be a solid 2 weeks max.)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:31 pm 

hex_usr wrote:
I ordered an NES PowerPak which started shipping no earlier than 2017-01-26 (judging by the modify dates on the included Compact Flash card), and it arrived at my house on 2016-01-30

I think you got one of those rare time-traveling PowerPaks! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:02 pm 

> USPS is slow. It has only been a week since the last scan. So the package is in the system. Be prepared to wait.

Long waits in customs are rare, but they happen.

When local mail is delayed 8+ days (guaranteed 10+ now that it's Saturday evening), that would be on the nightly news as an emergency. Everyone's packages would be delayed by that much, not just mine.

Something happened to mine. My package is being singled out and lost somewhere, not being worked on at all. Not being scanned. Not being moved.

Thinking it's going to just suddenly start moving again is truly wishful thinking at this point. I hope it does, but the longer we sit around and ignore it, the more likely this package is to become truly lost.

I'm absolutely blown away at how difficult it is to escalate a case with the USPS.

> even though +35 days

39+ days and counting =(

> do you honestly think a bunch of postal workers are going to care about a box of old video games?

The estimated worth is as high as $10,000. Bullshit like Stadium Events and NWC '90 have made a whole lot of people aware of the insane prices of video games. So yes.

> The key thing is, If it was lost, it would never be "In transit"

"In Transit to Destination" is a fake event. It's added, to the minute, exactly 24 hours after a package has failed to have a single scan in that time frame. The package, if it's not stolen, is still in Jersey City. A "departed from location" event would have appeared if it were in transit for real.

https://www.reddit.com/r/USPS/comments/ ... ere_first/

> contact the media about USPS stealing/misplacing a $10,000 video game collection.

Hmm ... actually, that might be a really good idea.

When I went to sell my 725-game US collection, a local news reporter contacted me, wanting to cover the story. I declined, but I can probably dig up his contact info and tell him he can also cover my 1450-game JP collection if he wants to.

Last edited by byuu on Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:18 pm 

byuu wrote:
When I went to sell my 725-game US collection, a local news reporter contacted me, wanting to cover the story.

I remember you made the news in one of Brazil's most famous news portals... They didn't have much to say besides just reporting that you were selling the carts and for how much, though. Anyway, hope you get the package.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:57 pm 

Yeah, here's hoping it gets resolved, because I'm curious about what's going on too.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:52 pm 

Meh. I've had parcels sit for a couple weeks at the last scanned location then boom it suddenly shows up at my local post office. Of course, it then took them a couple days to deliver to my home.

One Priority Mail package went from CA to VA then back to CA then to me. No reason why it decided to travel to the East Coast. A 2-3 day delivery turns into 2 weeks.

There are some USPS black hole locations. Maybe your package got into one of them.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:40 pm 

tokumaru wrote:
I think you got one of those rare time-traveling PowerPaks! :mrgreen:

Oops, thanks for pointing out my typo. The year is still new.

Does anyone have a NeoGAF account with new topic creating privileges, by any chance? Someone on ROMHacking.net suggested that it be brought up there, but byuu can't do it because his account is barred from creating new topics for whatever reason (I'm not familiar enough with the site to know why).

EDIT: The SNES preservation project is dead. It's over. byuu's given up.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:21 am 

So did the sender contact DHL? Because there is no contract between the recipient and USPS. Therefore USPS will just ignore the recipient since he is not their customer.

The sender needs to go here: https://www.dhl.de/en/paket/hilfe-kunde ... ional.html

Also every parcel I send from Germany to the US since the beginning of the year was delayed and took twice the normal time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:36 pm 

I was considering double-posting to mark this thread as unread for everyone who read this thread previously, but I was too afraid to do so, as the forum rules don't make any mention of it. Now I don't have to!

byuu wrote an article to answer the common questions he has received on Reddit and NesDev. Things like why he won't give out his tracking number and all that. I've already referred ROMHacking.net to this article.

It's likely that the sender has already went to that page. Thanks for the link anyway, though.

EDIT: Oh yeah, this story is on Eurogamer now. Watch out for the comments, though; they're about as toxic as GameFAQs.

EDIT: Clarified what I mean for "double-posting".

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:04 pm 

Quote:
it's cleared customs. That's what the first 21-day wait was doing. The package goes from DHL to CBP, and it doesn't show up in USPS' systems again until after CBP clears it and hands it to one of their central hubs.

I've had packages go through customs when both departing the source country and entering the destination (which seems weird to me, but it clearly happens). Here's a recent example going from Canada to Russia (postal code obscured)

Byuu, are you 100% sure this isn't what's happening?

Also, a very quick google search for the USPS sorting facility turned up this 2015 thread on the Steve Hoffman forums. A few people complaining about unexplained delays ranging from 7-10 days to several weeks.
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/w ... ty.432415/

Personally, I'd give it more time. It's only been 7 business days since the last update. To be honest that's probably why USPS hasn't given your missing mail claim all that much attention yet: their website says "If after 7 business days, your mail or package hasn’t arrived, submit a Missing Mail Search Request...". (I'm presuming they mean 7 business days without a tracking update.)

EDIT: Also, hex_usr, your thread title is pretty misleading. The tracking info screenshot you've posted shows that the package has only been in USPS's possession since February 3 2017. I'm not one to normally apologize for postal services (I've had PLENTY of not-so-great experiences with them in the past) but it's not the USPS's fault that the package took nearly a month before it even got to them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:47 pm 

byuu's heard so many "just wait" suggestions that it's gotten old for him.

byuu wrote:
It is my belief that the package has either been lost or stolen, as the delay is beyond reason. Of course, I can never prove this, and I have heard stories of people receiving packages six months later. But I am not going to hold out false hope for something that is unlikely to occur. Nor do I want to sit around and wait — the longer nothing happens, the more likely it will end up lost forever.

====================

jmr wrote:
Also, hex_usr, your thread title is pretty misleading.

I based it on byuu's wording and never bothered to change the thread title after byuu declared that the SNES preservation project is dead. I think I'll change it, actually.