It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:05 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Forum rules

Related:

Post subject: Concept for dev tool
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:30 am 

I was thinking about SNES dev tools, and thought of an idea...

Making a SNES graphic development tool, inside an actual SNES ROM. Presumably using some emulator that can dump the RAM as an output file.

Would that be a crazy approach? (Writing an SNES file that can be usee to make SNES graphics / BG maps)

Post subject: Re: Concept for dev tool
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:40 am 

I did it for NES backgrounds. But unless you want to put in as much effort as Nintendo put into Mario Paint, drawing graphics directly on a Super NES is going to be tedious.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:54 pm 

tepples wrote:
I did it for NES backgrounds. But unless you want to put in as much effort as Nintendo put into Mario Paint, drawing graphics directly on a Super NES is going to be tedious.

Too bad there weren't any third party SNES mouse accessories. I'm sure making one would be possible. There have been projects to do the reverse (use the SNES mouse on the PC)

That makes me wonder what exactly is stored on the Mario Paint game when you save it. I know it saves one background, and one music sound track (w/o samples), and whatever custom sprites were made.

What would be interesting is if a RPG Maker or a SCUMM engine could be compiled to run on a SNES. Thus making it simper for people to develop a game on the computer and just drop it onto a flashcart/sd2snes/etc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:35 pm 

I got started on my own thing a few months ago.

Attachments:
level editor.zip [250.26 KiB]
Downloaded 37 times

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:43 pm 

Kismet wrote:
What would be interesting is if a RPG Maker or a SCUMM engine could be compiled to run on a SNES.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPG_Maker ... e_versions

I see no reason a full game development environment couldn't exist on a SNES cartridge, especially since nowadays there's no reason you couldn't have several MB of writable memory in the ROM areas. I've thought about this sort of thing a bit. But it would be a lot of effort to make, and unless the tools were better in some way than what we have on PC there'd be little point...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:33 pm 

Something that runs on a Super NES has NTSC filtering preview built in. Something that runs in a Super NES emulator runs on all host platforms that run a Super NES emulator, easing "but I have a Mac/Linux box" and "can I run it on an Android phone or tablet to create on the go?" whines.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:24 pm 

93143 wrote:
Kismet wrote:
What would be interesting is if a RPG Maker or a SCUMM engine could be compiled to run on a SNES.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPG_Maker ... e_versions

I see no reason a full game development environment couldn't exist on a SNES cartridge, especially since nowadays there's no reason you couldn't have several MB of writable memory in the ROM areas. I've thought about this sort of thing a bit. But it would be a lot of effort to make, and unless the tools were better in some way than what we have on PC there'd be little point...

You know that wasn't what I meant. Compiling the game != playing the custom maps stored in SRAM or the 160KB turbofile https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo_File_(ASCII) .