It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Forum rules

Related:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:13 pm 

Oziphantom wrote:
Why do you clear the frame buffer, if you are rendering over the screen already then no point wasting cycles to clear it. Or if you are only rendering part of the screen adding a skybox plane to render on the overlap? Gets you a bunch of clocks back.

You need to make sure you start with a blank canvas unless your application is such that you really can count on refreshing every pixel. Such cases do exist (I've encountered one already myself), but they aren't the rule.

Doing a static 2D backdrop could be reasonably efficient, but unless you're using 8bpp, it has to use the same 15 (or 3) colours everything else does, which could be very restrictive, and even in the best case it won't be faster than clearing the framebuffer. Commercial Super FX games tend to use a separate BG layer for the backdrop, which is essentially free.

If you are using 8bpp, it might be worth it to do a skybox instead of a zero fill, since piping 8bpp through from ROM should be pretty efficient, and otherwise the backdrop is stuck at 4bpp because the SNES can only do one 8bpp layer at a time.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:06 am 

Oziphantom wrote:
Why do you clear the frame buffer, if you are rendering over the screen already then no point wasting cycles to clear it. Or if you are only rendering part of the screen adding a skybox plane to render on the overlap? Gets you a bunch of clocks back.

You have to clear the frame buffer, only polygons are rendered, there is no background or such thing, adding a skybox background would cost much more than doing a quick clear buffer loop.
What would be nice is a "read and clear" instruction on the CPU so you could copy and clear the frame buffer in the same loop (would be a bit faster than doing 2 loops)

Edit: 93143 was faster :p

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:31 am 

Stef wrote:
adding a skybox background would cost much more than doing a quick clear buffer loop.

Actually, I'm not sure this is true, except in 2bpp.

In 8bpp, or 4bpp if you abuse the dither feature, you can pull data from ROM at (nearly) the same rate the plotting hardware can send it to RAM (which is as fast as anything can send data to RAM, because if you're filling slivers it doesn't have to do any reading), and since they're on separate buses this can happen in parallel. Aside from linefeed, which for a simple 2D backdrop should be fairly lean, the only hiccup is the necessity of putting inc R14 after getc, which if I'm understanding the timing correctly should make a 2D skybox about 20% slower than simple zero fill in the ideal limit, or up to 25% faster than SNES DMA.

Granted, this would work best with an uncompressed bitmap in ROM, which may not be how you want to roll. Using tiles would be slower, especially if they weren't horizontally aligned to the tile grid in the framebuffer... On the other hand, it might be reasonable to fill part of the backdrop with solid-coloured lines, which would be very comparable to zero-fill.

But like I said, unless you're using 8bpp there's really no point because the S-PPU can do a better skybox. In addition to the ability to use a different BG palette, or even multiple palettes, it's possible to use Mode 2 and get backdrop rotation almost for free. Depending on what you're doing, it may in fact be possible to use a Mode 7 backdrop, though you might have to watch your VRAM usage because of the way the map works, and care is necessary not to overload the sprite system because that's the only way to get a second layer in Mode 7...

Espozo wrote:
How possible would it be to have 64 colors via a 4bpp layer and a 2bpp layer with color math (possibly even just varying shades of gray with color subtraction)? I think that would be a good compromise between the number of colors and performance, but I don't know if having two buffers like that will actually hurt performance even if it reduces the amount of data you have to transfer to vram.

Well, you'd have to draw everything twice, and since the Super FX can't change the screen base register by itself this restricts the size of the rendered window. Also, switching between 4bpp and 2bpp on the fly would confuse the plotting hardware, so you'd have to be rpixing all the time, and then there's the overhead for switching modes and repositioning for every line (or doing the higher-level render prep twice, which might actually be faster).

It's true that 8bpp mode does afford enough space for a full screen of 4bpp and a full screen of 2bpp. Not only would fill rate be appalling (16bpp), but the rendering technique would have to be really weird; you can't just leave 32-byte gaps in your DMA source...

You could also forget about using plot and just render to bitplane format in software. I'm not sure this is a better idea, but we know it's possible in principle...