Does no$sns 1.6 really have malware?

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
tepples

Does no$sns 1.6 really have malware?

Post by tepples »

More than one person has requested that I develop something substantial for the Super NES. So today I got an itch to do so, which meant I needed to set up an emulator in which to test things. While waiting to see if amd64 and GCC improvements had improved the speed of bsnes-plus on an Atom CPU from the 25 fps that I had seen before, I looked for other emulators I could try. So I visited no$sns and followed the link "Download no$sns v1.6 (21 Mar 2016)". The previous version had worked OK in Wine. But instead of downloading the file, Firefox 53.0b10 said "The file contains a virus or malware."

Can anybody else reproduce this error message? Is it a false positive or actual malware? If the latter, is there another recommended option for using a debugging Super NES emulator other than buying a bigger PC so that I can use bsnes-plus?
Attachments
no$sns_virus.png
tokumaru

Re: Does no$sns 1.6 really have malware?

Post by tokumaru »

Yeah, Chrome did the same thing to me when I tried to download the file a few days ago, so I ended up using an older version of the emulator. I too would like to know what the deal is with this file.
nicklausw

Post by nicklausw »

I ran across this a few months ago, had to settle for an older version of the software.

Maybe there is malware in the file. If there is, thanks to the magic of closed-source software, that was able to happen. If not, thanks to closed-source software, everyone lacked any reassurance or other ways of getting the program.

(Don't be surprised if I make a post soon ranting about how closed-sourcedness is of the devil. It's why I gave up on the SNES and frankly, if you are a software developer who won't share things because you want your name plastered on them or you think it's okay to just release a program on Windows and make everyone else use Wine, I don't like you.)

Edit, just want to clarify that I'm not talking about Martin Korth, since he did this stuff for money and documented it. More about all those programs on Zophar's Domain with amazing features but guess what, they only run on DOS.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

why I gave up on the SNES
My main stumbling block, is, I can't wrap my brain around how I'm going to make backgrounds. I mean a map editor that can output anything useful. SNES backgrounds work so differently than NES (multiple layers, per tile attributes, 2 bytes per tile, etc). I suppose I could try to program my own map editor, but that would set me back maybe 6 months.

I could maybe create a very big tile image, showing every tile in every palette, and use 'Tiled' to arrange them, and then write a script to transform it into useful BG data.

Oh, and I forgot music. That's another over-my-head concept currently.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
nicklausw

Post by nicklausw »

dougeff wrote: I suppose I could try to program my own map editor, but that would set me back maybe 6 months.
I'm in, if you want to go through with that.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

It's worth pointing out that all of Martin Korth's programs are written natively in x86 asm, so it's not clear that the source code would make you particularly better off.

It's also tremendously likely that that's why it was flagged as malware—because some heuristic detector decided that it doesn't look like a compiled program.
tepples

Post by tepples »

dougeff wrote:Oh, and I forgot music. That's another over-my-head concept currently.
That's one thing I was planning to do: write a music engine. But it's hard to test a music engine when bsnes-plus at 30fps makes the audio stutter.
lidnariq wrote:It's also tremendously likely that that's why it was flagged as malware—because some heuristic detector decided that it doesn't look like a compiled program.
So could one of you help notify the author of this problem? His contact page states that several major email providers blackhole the mail he sends.
Revenant

Post by Revenant »

You could also just PM him right here on the forums.
Revenant

Post by Revenant »

I ran no$sns.exe through malwr and it didn't indicate anything suspicious.

The program is packed with UPX though, which many antivirus programs have a history of being overly sensitive about.
tepples

Post by tepples »

PM sent, but I'm not sure how often he reads them.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Chrome blocked it for me, and when I unblocked it Microsoft Security Essentials promptly deleted it too.
This is MSE's encyclopedia entry on the detected threat: https://www.microsoft.com/security/port ... Dynamer!ac

No idea whether it's a false positive.
Oziphantom

Post by Oziphantom »

Could you use something like SPCamp to test the SPC engine? That way you are only emulating the SPC chip. Sure it won't be the most accurate of systems, but by all accounts it would be accurate enough for most of the dev work to make sure the right sample is played when etc

Failing that Geiger's ?
Oziphantom

Post by Oziphantom »

nicklausw wrote:
dougeff wrote: I suppose I could try to program my own map editor, but that would set me back maybe 6 months.
I'm in, if you want to go through with that.
I don't think a tile map editor is really going to cut it for the SNES. The C64, NES sure we tend to be very code driven and there is the one way and one mode for everything. For the SNES however we don't really need a map editor but more a Game editor, something that lets up map our blocks, be it a 2x2 grid, or a 4x4 or a group of banana's in a long trail. Then you probably want to be able to turn screens into blocks so we can repeat large parts of the map but with different control characters or pallets. Of which the how, what, when and why is going to depend on the exact type and style of game we are making.

I feel a better approach would be a "standard" library, a "SNES.cs" file( well collection ) that has code to draw SNES tile data to a Panel object at a given X,Y with pallete Z. A standard Pallet RGB entry system that handles the Scaling and renders a picker for the colours. A RAW 16 colour and 256 bitmap conversion function down to SNES bpp formats, that converts either the whole things or a sub window. So we can make our tools take png, or jpeg or tga or ilbm and convert as we please. A function that takes a 2D array and spits out the data into the standard SNES DMA offset formats. A colour window/enable window rendering system,that understand a HDMA chain or will convert a 1bit bitmap to a HDMA chain. Trying to make the perfect tool will never work, but making it faster to throw together an editor would help all of us.
calima

Post by calima »

"Trojan:Win32/Dynamer!ac is a generic detection used by Windows Defender for a file that appears to have trojan-like features or behavior."
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

I suppose I could try to program my own map editor, but that would set me back maybe 6 months.
As someone who is developing the same game since 12 years, I can guarantee you, having your project set back to 6 months is nothing to be worried about.
That's one thing I was planning to do: write a music engine.
Same here. Actually I did write one and it works on real hardware but I lost the source I only have the binary, and it's not terribly useful. I guess it could still be used technically, but you wouldn't be able to make any changes to it without some kind of hacking.