It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:11 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Forum rules

Related:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:30 pm 

Taking Streets of Rage 2 for example: A player character like Axel has 91 frames, and a basic enemy like Donovan is 16 frames, each roughly 48x72 pixels (excluding attacking appendage). Multiply by more than one player character and several enemies, and that's a lot for one person to draw.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:07 pm 

If I remember correctly, there was a character called Kung Fu Man, from an old fighting game engine called MUGEN.
I think this character and all of his animations are free to use.
Unfortunatelly, I'm not sure... :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:12 am 

Is the challenge to get 7~8 large characters on screen or 7~8 large unique characters on screen?
On the C64 I have on my sketch book a beat-emup with 6 characters on screen, but I'm more worried about AI handling the characters rather than the Drawing of them. I feel AI is going to be the killer.

As for how to fight, we could do it the Heavenly Sword way.. ie. stand around you in a ring and then they don't attack you for hours XD

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:36 pm 

tepples wrote:
Taking Streets of Rage 2 for example: A player character like Axel has 91 frames, and a basic enemy like Donovan is 16 frames, each roughly 48x72 pixels (excluding attacking appendage). Multiply by more than one player character and several enemies, and that's a lot for one person to draw.

Oh, poppycock!

My last major art commission was a set of sprites for a beat-em up, and I had animated just over 7200 sprite frames, in 3 months.
The characters were about 80x112, if I recall correctly. The hard sprite-frame limit was 192x144.

The final sprites were limited to 16 colors, and were hand-animated, scanned, and manually turned into sprites.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:20 am 

And how much does it cost for 3 months?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:20 pm 

That's 80 frames a day. :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:59 pm 

At full time, a frame every 6 minutes is possible if you draw keyframes using vectors, let the computer make rough in-betweens, and then tweak them all. It's just a lot of money, and someone has to have a vision.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:00 pm 

tepples wrote:
At full time, a frame every 6 minutes is possible if you draw keyframes using vectors, let the computer make rough in-betweens, and then tweak them all. It's just a lot of money, and someone has to have a vision.

Furthermore, unless this process is done very carefully, you end up with lifeless animation that is extra-smooth, yet the added frames don't clarify the artist's vision.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:49 am 

calima wrote:
And how much does it cost for 3 months?

You tell me! I wasn't paid for labor with this project. I didn't receive a single cent until it was done.

Specifically, the rights to about half the characters were purchased from me, by the developer. (the other character designs existed before I was hired.) This reason alone, is why I consider it a commission.

psycopathicteen wrote:
That's 80 frames a day. :shock:

Heh! Yeah, that sounds about right. The amount of work per day varied, depending heavily on communication.

At one point, I had pulled an all-nighter, and did around 300-something frames of animation in 48 hours, for a large boss enemy.
It wasn't on a time crunch or anything, I just did it for fun! :P

tepples wrote:

Yuck. Vectors are by far the worst way to animate complex characters. Vector-based animation always seems to have a certain stiffness to it's motions.

Expensive, really? The project I mentioned, was completed rather quickly, and cost almost nothing to produce. 4 million dollars not needed! :P

mikejmoffitt wrote:
Furthermore, unless this process is done very carefully, you end up with lifeless animation that is extra-smooth, yet the added frames don't clarify the artist's vision.

Yeah, this is why I stick with traditional cell animation, and draw every frame out with pencils first.

(Important context: I was personally mentored by a former Gainax artist, when I was animating hentai, several years ago.)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:28 am 

Not every project can get an enthusiastic artist willing to work like you do, sadly. Most such flake, speaking from experience.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:49 pm 

Well, I was trying to get something together for when I get done recoding my vram engine to make a miniature beat em up demo, and I decided to rip some graphics from Undercover Cops and use them, because, you know. :P

But anyway, this isn't very related, but the reason I posted is that, wow, the SNES port looks like shit (especially for 1995!), but damn, the music is surprisingly faithful... (compare "Redtailed Cat" from this http://vgmrips.net/packs/pack/undercove ... j-irem-m92 to this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D3p1aBXLR4o) What really impressed me is that all the voice samples are there, and at nearly the same quality as the arcade version. Sure as hell beats SFII! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:27 am 

Yeah, they didn't even get the color palette right.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:24 am 

And that arcade machine uses 15bit RGB, with even the bits in the same order... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:18 pm 

I'm still working on my animation. I'll get done for sure by next week.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:50 am 

By animation, do you mean animation engine, or artwork you've created?

Something I've began to think of is for me, metasprites are going to be a total pain in the ass to create. The problem is trying to figure out how to arrange everything to minimize the number of sprites per line is very time consuming. I don't know how feasible it would be to make a program that if you gave it an indexed picture (color 0 is transparent and would be able to be cut out) and told what you want to be the center point, if it could automatically generate the graphics and metasprite data.