new bsnes-plus debugging features

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
Reaper_Man

Re: new bsnes-plus debugging features

Post by Reaper_Man »

psycopathicteen wrote:Does this work with SA-1 games? I want to see if I can hack KSS and SMRPG to work without a SA-1 chip.
I mean, I don't work with those games, but as I do see an SA-1 tab in the debugger as well as adding breakpoints in the SA-1 bus, I'm going to take a wild guess that it likely works.

EDIT: With that said, I'm having a hard time believing you're going to be able to pull that off. Those chips add a bunch of processing horsepower to aid the underpowered CPU, hacking the support out of them would likely put way too much burden on the CPU. You're welcome to take a crack at it, though I'm quite skeptical of you being successful.
psycopathicteen

Post by psycopathicteen »

Reaper_Man wrote:
psycopathicteen wrote:Does this work with SA-1 games? I want to see if I can hack KSS and SMRPG to work without a SA-1 chip.
I mean, I don't work with those games, but as I do see an SA-1 tab in the debugger as well as adding breakpoints in the SA-1 bus, I'm going to take a wild guess that it likely works.

EDIT: With that said, I'm having a hard time believing you're going to be able to pull that off. Those chips add a bunch of processing horsepower to aid the underpowered CPU, hacking the support out of them would likely put way too much burden on the CPU. You're welcome to take a crack at it, though I'm quite skeptical of you being successful.
Sorry, but this is bullshit. I've already did so much work to disprove it.
adam_smasher

Post by adam_smasher »

Best way to really disprove it is make a patch. Those of us with Everdrives would definitely appreciate it!
Reaper_Man

Post by Reaper_Man »

psycopathicteen wrote:
Reaper_Man wrote:

...wow. You sound rather insecure. Instead of addressing my skepticism with an abstract explanation on how you would pull it off, you instead dismiss it entirely by claiming that my skepticism is "bullshit," further adding that you've already done "so much work to disprove it," but not giving one iota proving said statement. Well done. :roll:
psycopathicteen

Reaper_Man wrote:
psycopathicteen wrote:
Reaper_Man wrote:

...wow. You sound rather insecure. Instead of addressing my skepticism with an abstract explanation on how you would pull it off, you instead dismiss it entirely by claiming that my skepticism is "bullshit," further adding that you've already done "so much work to disprove it," but not giving one iota proving said statement. Well done. :roll:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6niMlZzoUY

I've been working on this game for a long time. I'm just tired of having to come up with proof for everything I say.
HihiDanni

Post by HihiDanni »

psycopathicteen wrote:Sorry, but this is bullshit. I've already did so much work to disprove it.
Honestly, I think you are being immature. While I also disagree about the S-CPU being underpowered, I don't think this is the way to go about it showing it.

As has been touched on previously, there may be several reasons for a game to use the SA-1. It could just be that at the turn of the 5th gen, developers just wanted something more convenient so they could write the game in a higher level language. This doesn't necessarily mean that the S-CPU is incapable of running such games. I don't claim to know anything about how KSS or SMRPG work, but I would not be surprised if they used a lot of SA-1 specific stuff (or just had extensive inefficient machine-generated code) which would make it harder to just do a straight port to the S-CPU. I'm not saying it can't be done but in my eyes, the perceived effort would outweigh any benefits.

And when people are being jerks, don't be jerkier.
SNES NTSC 2/1/3 1CHIP | serial number UN318588627
Reaper_Man

Post by Reaper_Man »

psycopathicteen wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6niMlZzoUY

I've been working on this game for a long time. I'm just tired of having to come up with proof for everything I say.

That doesn't prove much. All this proves is that you allegedly made a SNES homebrew ROM, so you know how to ASM program in 65816 for the SNES.

Not a single second of that video comes close to proving how you will take all of the processing work that the SA1 has to do and dumping it on the 5A22.
psycopathicteen

???

I'm just showing how fast a stock SNES can be, because you said the S-CPU is underpowered.
Reaper_Man

Post by Reaper_Man »

psycopathicteen wrote:???

I'm just showing how fast a stock SNES can be, because you said the S-CPU is underpowered.

I mean that's fine and all, but it is, for all intents and purposes, underpowered, especially compared to the SA1.
psycopathicteen

Reaper_Man wrote:
psycopathicteen wrote:???

I mean that's fine and all, but it is, for all intents and purposes, underpowered, especially compared to the SA1.
I was pissed off because I've already talked about this a lot in other threads.
tepples

Post by tepples »

psycopathicteen wrote:CPU speed doesn't mean SHIT.
Is this true even of things like Faceball 2000 for Game Boy? Its frame rate on an effectively 1.05 MHz CPU isn't great, nor is its draw distance (video).
psycopathicteen

If you're just moving sprites around, CPU speed doesn't matter much.

...and I already censored the post that you quoted.
benvanik

Post by benvanik »

@Benny, this debugger is great! You have issues disabled on github - where would you like feedback directed? In posts here? I'm using this to do some homebrew development and the source view is already my favorite!

Some suggested features that would really round things out and replace (my) need for other debuggers:
* Debug printing from game code; preferably compatible with no$sns' register 21FC (write 1 char of output to the debug window) - this is a bit easier to scale than the symbol print stuff (though that can be useful for other things!)
* Symbol table in the main UI instead of a popup to make it easier to navigate (and less difficult to lose the popup behind other windows)
* Clicking on symbols jumps to disasm location for code, memory editor for data
* Hotkey to reload cart
* Dreaming: option to watch for cart file changes and reload automatically

Keep up the awesome work!
HihiDanni

Post by HihiDanni »

benvanik wrote:* Hotkey to reload cart
Bsnes-plus has this, though you may need to bind the key yourself. I use it all the time.
SNES NTSC 2/1/3 1CHIP | serial number UN318588627
benvanik

Post by benvanik »

oh... (-‸ლ)
thanks!