It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours



Forum rules


Related:



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:01 pm
Posts: 16
Location: Seattle
LuigiBlood wrote:
Wiki is working now.

"Working" in a loose sense. The recent(?) change to different software broke a ton of internal links. The wiki is superficially nicer, but content-wise, it's a shadow of its former self.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:24 pm
Posts: 45
qfwfq wrote:
LuigiBlood wrote:
Wiki is working now.

"Working" in a loose sense. The recent(?) change to different software broke a ton of internal links. The wiki is superficially nicer, but content-wise, it's a shadow of its former self.


Actually every single page are still there. The links may not work, but they're searchable. Also, it's a wiki: Edit it if you find broken stuff.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:01 pm
Posts: 16
Location: Seattle
LuigiBlood wrote:
qfwfq wrote:
LuigiBlood wrote:
Wiki is working now.

"Working" in a loose sense. The recent(?) change to different software broke a ton of internal links. The wiki is superficially nicer, but content-wise, it's a shadow of its former self.


Actually every single page are still there. The links may not work, but they're searchable. Also, it's a wiki: Edit it if you find broken stuff.

A lot of images and files are broken or missing, and you can't find them in search. For example, check out this page:
https://wiki.superfamicom.org/schematic ... nd-pinouts

The images and PDFs near the top aren't discoverable through the site search, nor are they available at their original URLs. For example, this link:
https://wiki.superfamicom.org/snes/file ... _color.pdf

gives you this:

Code:
Cannot GET /snes/files/snes_schematic_color.pdf

I'm not sure why you're defending these changes. This is a regression, pure and simple. A lot of the text content is there, but it's worse for the update. Links are broken. Images and files are missing. The maintainer of the wiki should have tested the new backend before committing a bunch of breaking changes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:24 pm
Posts: 45
Okay, fine, there are issues, don't make it personal either.

I've let him know. I do think the current backend is better though.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:01 pm
Posts: 16
Location: Seattle
LuigiBlood wrote:
Okay, fine, there are issues, don't make it personal either.

I've let him know. I do think the current backend is better though.

I'm not sure how I've "made it personal." I have no idea who runs the site. I'm just reporting a high-impact bug.

I do apologize if I'm coming off icy, though. At the company I work at, we have a culture of writing "postmortems," in which we analyze and document the root causes of development or operations issues to make sure they don't happen again. These analyses tend to be impersonal and matter-of-fact: here's what broke, here's why, and here's what we can do to fix it in the short term and in the long term. That's the mode I'm in here.

In any event, thank you for letting the site maintainer know about the issues.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 6:12 pm
Posts: 2504
I think I know exactly how this happened. Somebody doesn't want people to make SNES homebrew games.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:25 pm
Posts: 172
That sounds pretty far-fetched. So far all signs point to negligence on the part of the site administrator rather than anything malevolent. But it would help a lot if whoever manages the site software were a regular here so we'd have a better idea of what's going on.

_________________
SNES NTSC 2/1/3 1CHIP | serial number UN318588627


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 93143 and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group