nesdev.com
http://forums.nesdev.com/

SNES Wiki is down again!!!
http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16670
Page 2 of 2

Author:  qfwfq [ Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: SNES Wiki is down again!!!

LuigiBlood wrote:
Wiki is working now.

"Working" in a loose sense. The recent(?) change to different software broke a ton of internal links. The wiki is superficially nicer, but content-wise, it's a shadow of its former self.

Author:  LuigiBlood [ Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:33 am ]
Post subject:  Re: SNES Wiki is down again!!!

qfwfq wrote:
LuigiBlood wrote:
Wiki is working now.

"Working" in a loose sense. The recent(?) change to different software broke a ton of internal links. The wiki is superficially nicer, but content-wise, it's a shadow of its former self.


Actually every single page are still there. The links may not work, but they're searchable. Also, it's a wiki: Edit it if you find broken stuff.

Author:  qfwfq [ Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:46 am ]
Post subject:  Re: SNES Wiki is down again!!!

LuigiBlood wrote:
qfwfq wrote:
LuigiBlood wrote:
Wiki is working now.

"Working" in a loose sense. The recent(?) change to different software broke a ton of internal links. The wiki is superficially nicer, but content-wise, it's a shadow of its former self.


Actually every single page are still there. The links may not work, but they're searchable. Also, it's a wiki: Edit it if you find broken stuff.

A lot of images and files are broken or missing, and you can't find them in search. For example, check out this page:
https://wiki.superfamicom.org/schematic ... nd-pinouts

The images and PDFs near the top aren't discoverable through the site search, nor are they available at their original URLs. For example, this link:
https://wiki.superfamicom.org/snes/file ... _color.pdf

gives you this:

Code:
Cannot GET /snes/files/snes_schematic_color.pdf

I'm not sure why you're defending these changes. This is a regression, pure and simple. A lot of the text content is there, but it's worse for the update. Links are broken. Images and files are missing. The maintainer of the wiki should have tested the new backend before committing a bunch of breaking changes.

Author:  LuigiBlood [ Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:42 am ]
Post subject:  Re: SNES Wiki is down again!!!

Okay, fine, there are issues, don't make it personal either.

I've let him know. I do think the current backend is better though.

Author:  qfwfq [ Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: SNES Wiki is down again!!!

LuigiBlood wrote:
Okay, fine, there are issues, don't make it personal either.

I've let him know. I do think the current backend is better though.

I'm not sure how I've "made it personal." I have no idea who runs the site. I'm just reporting a high-impact bug.

I do apologize if I'm coming off icy, though. At the company I work at, we have a culture of writing "postmortems," in which we analyze and document the root causes of development or operations issues to make sure they don't happen again. These analyses tend to be impersonal and matter-of-fact: here's what broke, here's why, and here's what we can do to fix it in the short term and in the long term. That's the mode I'm in here.

In any event, thank you for letting the site maintainer know about the issues.

Author:  psycopathicteen [ Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: SNES Wiki is down again!!!

I think I know exactly how this happened. Somebody doesn't want people to make SNES homebrew games.

Author:  HihiDanni [ Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: SNES Wiki is down again!!!

That sounds pretty far-fetched. So far all signs point to negligence on the part of the site administrator rather than anything malevolent. But it would help a lot if whoever manages the site software were a regular here so we'd have a better idea of what's going on.

Page 2 of 2 All times are UTC - 7 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/