It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:59 pm 

Hello...

I'm trying to use this programs, but its restrictiveness confuses me a bit with the way of having to choose an specific palette to allow you to see the graphics.

Can somebody tell me some topics to learn how to achieve to know what is the correct palette, and how to obtain from every rom?.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:13 pm 

This is just the nature of working with old console graphics formats. Char data is stored raw, without any kind of attached data such as palette assignments or size. This is because that information is supplied by other data formats: palettes, tilemaps, and OAM entries, which are going to be game-specific in terms of where they're stored and possibly how they're formatted within the ROM. Knowledge of where the palettes are will require knowledge of the game itself.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:53 pm 

And since we're talking about about the SNES here, there aren't even any guarantees that the tiles themselves will be visible in a tile editor, since they could very well be compressed, and each game may use a different compression scheme, much like different games store palette data and tile layouts differently. There's no universal way to handle this, you have to know how each individual game does things in order to gather all the graphical data you want.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:13 pm 
Formerly Espozo

BSNES Debugger allows you to view CGRAM, so you can copy the palettes from there. However, whatever palette you want has to currently be onscreen. As has been stated earlier, there's no real easy way to do this.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:09 am 

Espozo wrote:
BSNES Debugger allows you to view CGRAM, so you can copy the palettes from there. However, whatever palette you want has to currently be onscreen. As has been stated earlier, there's no real easy way to do this.

THAT is the info i expected (where to get what palettes is using every game). I don't use bsnes to keep an eye to debugging, so i was a little bit lost.

Thank you to all!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:48 am 

The more I read the more I get lost...

It seems tile molester is a more advanced program to edit tiles, but there is not any executable, Am I missing something? :?:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:55 am 

If there is a "jar" file, then that is the executable. You just need a jar player installed, and the most common is Java by Oracle.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:39 am 

Last time I tried to use tile molester, it gave me a security warning, can't run, unknown publisher.

I just used something else, rather than try to deal with this issue. I haven't thought about it since.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:53 am 

dougeff wrote:
Last time I tried to use tile molester, it gave me a security warning, can't run, unknown publisher.

Java warns about this for all applications whose publisher hasn't paid the code signing certificate authority racket. Unlike HTTPS (TLS on websites), which allows a certificate to be domain-validated (and therefore obtainable without charge from an automated CA), code signing requires all certificates to be at least organization-validated.

dougeff wrote:
I just used something else, rather than try to deal with this issue. I haven't thought about it since.

"Last time I tried to use vigilante ninja 2, it gave me a security warning, can't run, unknown publisher. [The power light just blinked.] I just used something else, rather than try to deal with this issue. I haven't thought about it since."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:32 pm 

tepples wrote:
If there is a "jar" file, then that is the executable. You just need a jar player installed, and the most common is Java by Oracle.

Ok, thank you, i was starting to desperate xD