New Super Mario Land

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
KungFuFurby

Re: New Super Mario Land

Post by KungFuFurby » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:07 pm

Actually, the developer was pretty clever: although I'm still certain it's essentially the same .mod file player, the version used is noticeably missing the e-mail address that is normally there.

d4s

Post by d4s » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:38 am

For the record, version 1.2 is out there (see OPs link).
It features a variety of bugfixes, gameplay improvements and a little bit of additional content.
There's no pleasing everybody, but personally, I'm very satisfied with the way the game turned out in the end.

Post by 93143 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:23 am

I like the improvements and bugfixes. New super jump off enemies is cool (breaks certain challenges a bit, but then so does the wall jump), as is the faster super ball (especially with enemies that are supposed to take two hits actually taking two hits...). Hitting your head no longer kills your horizontal momentum, which is great. Scrolling is a lot smoother when changing direction. Certain things that really needed bigger hitboxes now have them. Is it just me, or is the Tatanga fight way less insane and more technical than before?

As for the motion tweaks, this one feels weird in a different way. It's a bit hard to control Mario's horizontal momentum, and I keep missing when I try to land on single blocks. Also, the jump arc feels too abrupt and triangular. I think it's better than before, but it's not ideal. Maybe I should try it on real hardware and see if that helps; I'm very sensitive to lag...

I think you screwed up the mushroom graphic somewhere in between this and the first version. The top half of the side dots is missing.

The flying Moai head at the beginning of World 3 immediately jumped in a hole without my assistance. Was that supposed to happen?

Also, while I'm nitpicking, the English plural for "life" is "lives". Exactly the same spelling as the third-person singular present tense form of the verb "to live", but pronounced differently.

I notice that it's possible to slide while ducking, but that if you try to slide into a space one block high while Super Mario, you just stop. I can confirm that this doesn't happen in the original GB version, and that it is in fact possible to get into the coin pyramid in 1-3 while big. Am I just doing it wrong, or is it actually impossible in your version?

EDIT: Aaaand now I can't do it any more. Maybe I got lucky, or it glitched... Certainly you lose your momentum a lot faster in general in the GB version...

Amazing work. I take encouragement from the fact that you were able to finish this; perhaps I'll be able to finish mine...