Retro-Assembler

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
pettersson

Retro-Assembler

Post by pettersson » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:00 am

Hi,

has anyone tried Retro-Assembler for doing SNES programming? I am starting with coding (coming from C64) don't know which one to use, WLA-DX or Retro-Assembler.

Regards
pettersson

dougeff

Re: Retro-Assembler

Post by dougeff » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:08 pm

The most popular assemblers are WLA, ca65, and asar.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES

noyen1973

Post by noyen1973 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:30 am

I haven't seen any mention of persons using Retro Assembler for SNES programming so you might have a tough time at finding current examples that will work straight out of an archive. Most current SNES source code examples I've found have used ca65 as the assembler. That doesn't mean that you couldn't use Retro Assembler. If you're comfortable with Retro Assembler and don't mind reworking sample source codes, I don't see why it couldn't be used based on what I've read from the online manual. If you haven't used Retro Assembler or WLA-DX before you should consider adding ca65 to your shortlist.

Which assemblers have you worked with on the C64 and have you used any other assemblers from other platforms?

pettersson

Post by pettersson » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:13 pm

I am using C64Studio for my Commodore stuff, which brings its own assembler (which somewhat resembles ACME). I don't have any preferences yet, since I just started working on SNES stuff. But I started building a small IDE. Currently I am on the Tileset/Tilemap editing stuff. I attached a screenshot of an early version.
So far you can create a project, edit, build and run code, and edit/export palettes.
Attachments
early alpha version
early alpha version

dougeff

Post by dougeff » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:45 pm

I'm also working on SNES development tools. Including a tile / tilemap / palette editor.

Good to see other people working on SNES.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES

ThunderZ

Post by ThunderZ » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:20 pm

Rooo nice Studio dev ide

did you plan some release ?

pettersson

Post by pettersson » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:42 am

As soon as there is a usable version (working Tileset and Tilemap editor), yes, there will be a release.

secondsun

Post by secondsun » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:42 pm

I'm also working on some coding tools, search my post history for a demo from last year. The tooling is basically VS Code support for WLA based projects, I've been busy so it hasn't gotten too much further, but hopefully I'll have linking and assembling reimplemented and I can start really putting it through its paces.