4-bit graphics corpus for compression research

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
tepples

4-bit graphics corpus for compression research

Post by tepples » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:15 am

Say I want to test theories about graphics compression, such as adapting UFTC/XFTC or some sort of RLE or XOR Huffman to TG16, SMS, Genesis, Super NES, or GBA. I'd like to run multiple codecs on a corpus, compare their rate and decoding time, and post the corpus, codecs, and results on GitHub so that others can reproduce my results. Is there a good corpus of freely distributable 4bpp tilesets and sprite sheets to test with?
  • Ketsuban in the gbdev Discord server suggested "Tuxemon", a background tile set for RPG exteriors, posted by Buch to OpenGameArt under CC BY-SA 3 license.
  • NovaSquirrel in the SNESdev Discord server suggested that there might be some noninfringing art on SMWCentral:"There is a filter where you can exclude all graphics that are ripped from games, and from there it's just finding ones that are not blatantly Mario. "32x32 Sprite Reskins" by Eminus but there are definitely things that are wholly original."

Nikku4211

Re: 4-bit graphics corpus for compression research

Post by Nikku4211 » Tue May 26, 2020 3:22 pm

I'm sorry if I'm bumping, as half of the forum is inactive anyway but here's my sprite spreadsheet.

I have an ASD, so empathy is not natural for me. If I hurt you, I apologise.

Oziphantom

Re: 4-bit graphics corpus for compression research

Post by Oziphantom » Tue May 26, 2020 10:29 pm

Just go to itch.io and get the free texture packs. Then convert them down to what ever colour depth you want. Who cares how pretty or "designed" the art is for a compression test?