Few question about superCIC

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
kataklysm101

Few question about superCIC

Post by kataklysm101 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:28 pm

Hello, i was do region free superCIC switchless mod on my SNES

i have few questions about that.

1. how can i check what mode i have ? 50/60hz ? my TV can tell me truth ?

2. in one game i have a error "this game pack is not designed for your super famicom or super nes" this is a Super Mario All-Stars from Aliexpress and this game plays normally before i was do superCIC mod but i have an oryginal cartridge "Super Mario All-Stars" and this working normally, This error can be in other orginal games ?

3. I was use cheap PIC K150 programmer, when i was programmed the chip i got a question "The OSCAL value should be in the form of a RETLW instruction [ 34xx ] –> Currently [ 3Fxx ] –> Do you want this changed?" i clicked "NO" - its was a good choice ? (i was never before programmed PIC, only AtMega processors)

4. in file with superCIC i have lock and key files. I used lock file but what i can do with key file ? this file is for CIC in cartridge ? when i must use this ? i was try to play in Mortal Kombat NTSC version and it was play normally without key file in CIC chip

lidnariq

Re: Few question about superCIC

Post by lidnariq » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:10 pm

kataklysm101 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:28 pm
In Europe, 50Hz modes are squished vertically, and usually have black horizontal bars above and below the video ("letterboxed"). TVs in the US often won't display 50 Hz modes at all.
4. in file with superCIC i have lock and key files. I used lock file but what i can do with key file ? this file is for CIC in cartridge ? when i must use this ?
It's used for making new cartridges that will work with existing SNESes. Yes, it's for the CIC in the cartridge. You don't need it if you're just modifying the console.

This follows as a result:
2. in one game i have a error "this game pack is not designed for your super famicom or super nes" this is a Super Mario All-Stars from Aliexpress and this game plays normally before i was do superCIC mod but i have an oryginal cartridge "Super Mario All-Stars" and this working normally, This error can be in other orginal games ?
The SuperCIC lock changes the way the S-PPU is configured depending on the CIC in the cartridge. But if the CIC in your unlicensed reproduction also automatically switches its region depending on the CIC in the console, then you can get the lock and key agreeing on the same wrong region.
3. I was use cheap PIC K150 programmer, when i was programmed the chip i got a question "The OSCAL value should be in the form of a RETLW instruction [ 34xx ] –> Currently [ 3Fxx ] –> Do you want this changed?" i clicked "NO" - its was a good choice ? (i was never before programmed PIC, only AtMega processors)
Doesn't matter for this firmware: it only uses the external clock provided by the console.

kataklysm101

Post by kataklysm101 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:12 pm

lidnariq wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:10 pm
kataklysm101 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:28 pm
In Europe, 50Hz modes are squished vertically, and usually have black horizontal bars above and below the video ("letterboxed"). TVs in the US often won't display 50 Hz modes at all.
4. in file with superCIC i have lock and key files. I used lock file but what i can do with key file ? this file is for CIC in cartridge ? when i must use this ?
It's used for making new cartridges that will work with existing SNESes. Yes, it's for the CIC in the cartridge. You don't need it if you're just modifying the console.

This follows as a result:
The SuperCIC lock changes the way the S-PPU is configured depending on the CIC in the cartridge. But if the CIC in your unlicensed reproduction also automatically switches its region depending on the CIC in the console, then you can get the lock and key agreeing on the same wrong region.
Doesn't matter for this firmware: it only uses the external clock provided by the console.
Very thanks for reply!

so maybe if my SNES dosent read the unofficial cartridge, i can change wiring PIN4 from 5V to GND, according to this solution -- > http://wolfsoft.de/wordpress/?p=603

Maybe when the PIN4 will be wiring to GND unofficial cart can run ?

another quesion is: if i have unofficial cartridge and i see connector on right side and it probably is for programmer, i can prepare it for another game ?

and last question: if unofficial cartridge cant "talk" with console, the same situation can be with official cartridge ?

this is the unofficial cart:
https://imgur.com/a/nEbql2z

lidnariq

Post by lidnariq » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:29 pm

kataklysm101 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:12 pm
so maybe if my SNES dosent read the unofficial cartridge, i can change wiring PIN4 from 5V to GND, according to this solution -- > http://wolfsoft.de/wordpress/?p=603

Maybe when the PIN4 will be wiring to GND unofficial cart can run ?
The SuperCIC lock says the folllowing:
; This implementation supports automatic 50/60Hz switching based on the
; detected key CIC in the game cartridge. Also the 50/60Hz setting can be
; overridden by the user via the reset button.
;
; Reset / Mode switch behaves as follows:
; Reset is pressed for < 586ms -> reset console upon release
; Reset is pressed for >= 586ms -> enter mode switch cycle, no reset
; Modes are cycled every 586ms as shown in Fig.1 as long as the reset button
; is held down.
; The currently selected mode is indicated by the color of the power LED
; (see Table 3).
; The mode is finally selected by releasing the reset button while the
; desired LED color is shown. The selected mode will then become effective
; and will be saved to EEPROM. Mode switching does not reset the console.
;
; Note that in case a valid CIC is detected in the game cartridge, video mode
; will be forced to its corresponding region for the first ~9 seconds after
; reset or powerup if the REG_TIMEOUT enable pin is high.
; This is an attempt to trick the region detection on most games. See Table 1.
; In case no CIC is present in the game cartridge, or REG_TIMEOUT is low, the
; user setting is applied immediately.
REG_TIMEOUT is pin 4. It's not sufficient in isolation.
another quesion is: if i have unofficial cartridge and i see connector on right side and it probably is for programmer, i can prepare it for another game ?
Probably not? 6 pins isn't obviously anything in particular. Certainly isn't enough in isolation. Might be possible with the primary cartridge connector also. Or it might be for programming the CIC.
and last question: if unofficial cartridge cant "talk" with console, the same situation can be with official cartridge ?
I don't understand the question. Would you rephrase?
this is the unofficial cart:
https://imgur.com/a/nEbql2z
Uh. That one's using 3V flash, but I don't obviously see a 3V regulator. (Unless it's hidden on the back) Do you know what voltage your SNES runs at? All original ones are 5V, but it's conceivable that some clones are 3V.

kataklysm101

Post by kataklysm101 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:43 pm

I don't understand the question. Would you rephrase?
sorry for my poor english, i write it again: if my unofficial cartridge (from Aliexpress) isn't work with superCIC mod, can i have the same situation with original cartridge ? maybe exist list of games which not working with superCIC ?
Uh. That one's using 3V flash, but I don't obviously see a 3V regulator. (Unless it's hidden on the back) Do you know what voltage your SNES runs at? All original ones are 5V, but it's conceivable that some clones are 3V.
i have a original SNES, its operating on 5V, cartridge doesn't have any regulators :) but that working befor i made superCIC mod.

lidnariq

Post by lidnariq » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:52 pm

kataklysm101 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:43 pm
sorry for my poor english, i write it again: if my unofficial cartridge (from Aliexpress) isn't work with superCIC mod, can i have the same situation with original cartridge ? maybe exist list of games which not working with superCIC ?
If my hypothesis is correct, no, it could only happen with a superCIC lock + auto-switching key. OEM carts should always work.
i have a original SNES, its operating on 5V, cartridge doesn't have any regulators :)
No other diodes hidden anywhere? The two I see there look like they're responsible for providing battery voltage to the RAM, rather than dropping the voltage to the Flash.

In the past, we've seen a number of unlicensed cartridges that power the flash with 3V and connect it directly to the SNES, which works very poorly, causing damage to both the flash and the SNES. But if the cart is just running the flash at 5V, then while the flash might suddenly stop working at some point in the future, it shouldn't damage the SNES.

kataklysm101

Post by kataklysm101 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:16 pm

lidnariq wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:52 pm
kataklysm101 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:43 pm
If my hypothesis is correct, no, it could only happen with a superCIC lock + auto-switching key. OEM carts should always work.
i have a original SNES, its operating on 5V, cartridge doesn't have any regulators :)
No other diodes hidden anywhere? The two I see there look like they're responsible for providing battery voltage to the RAM, rather than dropping the voltage to the Flash.

In the past, we've seen a number of unlicensed cartridges that power the flash with 3V and connect it directly to the SNES, which works very poorly, causing damage to both the flash and the SNES. But if the cart is just running the flash at 5V, then while the flash might suddenly stop working at some point in the future, it shouldn't damage the SNES.
Thank You very much for all answers.

this cartridge have no other diodes but i will dont use it again. In next week i wants replace capacitors (two are leaked, and i was have a problem with one audio channel, i fix it. Electrolite from capacitors eat track on pcb) therefore i dont want use this cartridge anymore, this console will be in collection now :)

Thank again !