Questions about key file in SuperCiC

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
kataklysm101

Questions about key file in SuperCiC

Post by kataklysm101 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:25 pm

Hello!
I have a question about SuperCIC mod. if i good understand it, i can buy PIC uC, programm it and solder this to genuine SNES cart, and im will be have region free cartridge ? This cartridge will be work on any SNES?

lidnariq

Re: Questions about key file in SuperCiC

Post by lidnariq » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:50 pm

Yes, that's exactly what it's for.

There's both the original key switching CIC written by mrehkopf ("snescic"), his enhanced version that can negotiate a mode that dynamically switches between 50Hz and 60Hz modes on request ("supercic"), and my version of "snescic" that fits in a smaller cheaper PIC.

kataklysm101

Post by kataklysm101 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:05 pm

lidnariq wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:50 pm
Yes, that's exactly what it's for.

There's both the original key switching CIC written by mrehkopf ("snescic"), his enhanced version that can negotiate a mode that dynamically switches between 50Hz and 60Hz modes on request ("supercic"), and my version of "snescic" that fits in a smaller cheaper PIC.
Hi, Thank You for reply

I was make this mod on Mario all stars stock cart (original pal version) but i have a problem, on stock snes pal console this is working good but on famicom i have a message "this game pack is not designed..." before cart modification this console dont saw anything when i try to play this cart

lidnariq

Post by lidnariq » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:39 pm

The CIC is separate from any region restrictions enforced by the game. The game can ask the PPU what region it is drawing (50 or 60 Hz). This is the reason the SuperCIC "lock" can change between 50 and 60 Hz video modes.

There are two ways you can fix this:
1- You can use the "supercic" lock with a conventional CIC (or any other CIC key that's locked to one region)
2- You can patch the game to remove this rudimentary DRM

kataklysm101

Post by kataklysm101 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:18 pm

lidnariq wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:39 pm
The CIC is separate from any region restrictions enforced by the game. The game can ask the PPU what region it is drawing (50 or 60 Hz). This is the reason the SuperCIC "lock" can change between 50 and 60 Hz video modes.

There are two ways you can fix this:
1- You can use the "supercic" lock with a conventional CIC (or any other CIC key that's locked to one region)
2- You can patch the game to remove this rudimentary DRM
Ok, can you send me tutorial what i can remove DRM? I was make reproduction on donor cart before but i never hear about a DRM in ROMs

lidnariq

Post by lidnariq » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:58 pm

Ucon64 can fix this. At least, it can fix some. I don't know if it can fix all of them. Worth trying.
[snes_fix_pal_protection] searches for PAL protection codes. If it finds one it will fix the code so that the game will run on an NTSC SNES.
[...]
[snes_fix_ntsc_protection] searches for NTSC protection codes. If it finds one it will fix the code so that the game will run on a PAL SNES.
Use its "-f" option.

kataklysm101

Post by kataklysm101 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:45 am

lidnariq wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:58 pm
Ucon64 can fix this. At least, it can fix some. I don't know if it can fix all of them. Worth trying.
[snes_fix_pal_protection] searches for PAL protection codes. If it finds one it will fix the code so that the game will run on an NTSC SNES.
[...]
[snes_fix_ntsc_protection] searches for NTSC protection codes. If it finds one it will fix the code so that the game will run on a PAL SNES.
Use its "-f" option.
Thank You