Is my SNES dead?

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
Erockbrox

Is my SNES dead?

Post by Erockbrox » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:05 pm

So today I turned on SNES just like I usually do and to my surprise it started acting strange. The image was wobbly and dickering and such, so because I have an sd2snes I went right to those Tools and started checking things.

This is my original SNES since the 90's when I was a kid.

I remember running this electronics test before years ago and it failed on me one time in the past, but then it did give a passing mark eventually.

The snes was unplugged for a week so maybe its a capacitor "warming up". Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

LucianoTheWindowsFan

Re: Is my SNES dead?

Post by LucianoTheWindowsFan » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:52 am

Just go buy a new one.

Fisher

Post by Fisher » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:47 pm

According to the logs in this page, you probably have a busted SNES CPU, but sometimes it can be some oxidation or some bad solder joints on the CPU's terminals or even elsewhere, like the power regulator.
Have you tried recapping it?
LucianoTheWindowsFan wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:52 am
Just go buy a new one.
I'm not sure if it's still economically a good option, since old console's prices + shipping tend to vary a lot depending of where you live, but it's sure the easiest way.
Sentimentally I don't think it's possible to measure it's value.
It can vary a lot according tho each person's experiences and memories with not just an old console, but any old object.
Of course it's just an old mass produced object, beloved or not.

LucianoTheWindowsFan

Post by LucianoTheWindowsFan » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:07 am

Fisher wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:47 pm
I'm not sure if it's still economically a good option, since old console's prices + shipping tend to vary a lot depending of where you live, but it's sure the easiest way.
Sentimentally I don't think it's possible to measure it's value.
It can vary a lot according tho each person's experiences and memories with not just an old console, but any old object.
Of course it's just an old mass produced object, beloved or not.
I think I meant buying it online, since the console got discontinued in 1999 (in the US, which is the end of the vintage era), some of the auctioned ones are used, for repairing purposes, or just sold out, otherwise, watch a tutorial to how to repair this old system.

Fisher

Post by Fisher » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:21 pm

LucianoTheWindowsFan wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:07 am
some of the auctioned ones are used, for repairing purposes,
The "mileage" varies a lot!
Near me, I could get one for a couple of bucks or even free few years ago.
Now I just can't find a motherboard, even without any warranty for less than 40 bucks, even online!
Hope @Erockbox can solve this problem in the best possible way.