[demo] SNES Sonic

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
Nikku4211

Re: [demo] SNES Sonic

Post by Nikku4211 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:03 am

calima wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:41 am
Or it's an intentional screw-you to the repro makers profiting off others' work.
It's a double-edged sword if you intend to make money off of cartridges of your own game.
I have an ASD, so empathy is not natural for me. If I hurt you, I apologise.

Gilbert

Post by Gilbert » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:02 am

But considering the pricing of games (I think mid to late SFC games cost nearly 10,000 yen on average, compared to the usual pricing of 5000 - 6000 yen for a PCE CD, which could contain A LOT MORE contents, not to mention games with special chips may be sold in even higher prices; by the N64 time I think the big N was in a huge disadvantage though, considering how expensive their game cartridges were compared to games for the rival disc based systems) at that era they're still profiting from the games even with the inclusion of special chips, if the games showed off and people were still willing to buy them (but if the games didn't sell... well...).

At least, this stopped/slowed down people from running the games with game copiers (for a while at least).

(One of?) The most egregious case did not come from the big N though. Virtua Racing for the Mega Drive was amazing, but at the cost of including a very expensive co-processor, making the game cart very expensive, so Sega never released any other games with that chip. The irony part was, it was released at the same time as the 32X, which was a very powerful add on and had its own version of Virtua Racing that should be even better than the plain MD version. You may also say, the 32X is itself another of these egregious cases though. (Hint: Buy a Sega Saturn, though its version of VR was considered a porting disaster, you can at least play even even better versions of Virtua Fighter, among many other games .)

strat

Post by strat » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:09 pm

You may also say, the 32X is itself another of these egregious cases though.
It's amazing to think 32-X came about because Sega's president was spooked by the Jaguar.
https://archive.org/details/retro_gamer ... ew=theater
SA-1, the lazy programmer best friend
When you're programming on a low-level, embedded system to begin with, utilizing a second cpu is if anything a lot more work.
It's a double-edged sword if you intend to make money off of cartridges of your own game.
Are any original, homebrew SNES games using SA-1? Plenty of romhacks, of course.