yo where my superfx gang at

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
Nikku4211

yo where my superfx gang at

Post by Nikku4211 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:08 pm

How many of you people are interested in eventually making homebrew utilising the SuperFX chip?

I am. I even learned 3D modelling in Blender in preparation for it.

My Kanisen model.

My Ande model.

The only thing preventing me from actually programming on the SuperFX is my rather poor 65c816 programming skills, since you need a good understanding of both assembly languages just to make a basic playable 3D game.

superfx gang rise up
I have an ASD, so empathy is not natural for me. If I hurt you, I apologise.

secondsun

Re: yo where my superfx gang at

Post by secondsun » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:25 pm

Since my work in May* I've been working more on the gamplay and story parts of my game. It isn't really "gelling" yet, but that is OK. I've been taking the time to practice with the 65816 assembly as well as working on development tools. I've been experimenting with building the higan SuperFX emulation into an application to experiment with modelling, but that is really early days.

I've got bookmarked for reading the SuperFX code leaks and the Doom SNES code which was a phenomenal amount of excitement this summer in the SuperFX scene IMHO.

In not SuperFX related work I've been adding a JIT function to a chip-8 VM I wrote a few years ago.

* http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=20068

Post by 93143 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:46 pm

I'm not doing 3D, but my ongoing project (largely stalled due to real life, but should pick up soon) uses the Super FX. It's a bullet hell shmup. A port, actually, of a game on a much more powerful platform. I'm not saying which one, or even promising to finish it in a timely fashion - I learned my lesson about building anticipation for a specific thing with the Nearly Upright sampled piano...

Here's an old bullet rendering test: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=15205&p=190917#p190917

I'm also considering messing with Doom at some point, now that we have the source code for both the original and the SNES version. I think I've figured out how to speed up rendering a fair bit, and I have a bunch of ideas for improvements that simply weren't feasible with no CPU-ROM and on an 8-month development schedule.

coto

Post by coto » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:23 pm

I'm a bit far from emu dev right now... doing some other ToolchainGenericDS stuff... of which has undergo through radical changes... for a good year and half

Once that is sorted out (and I have free time, since i'm a military reservist and Chile is ongoing very difficult communist bullshit stuff right now), I will go into 3D stuff. (NDS, then other platforms maybe)

Nikku, I think there's a software render for snes (not requiring SuperFX). Perhaps you may be interested on it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLDmn2X ... MarioWorld

Nikku4211

Post by Nikku4211 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:51 pm

coto wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:23 pm
Nikku, I think there's a software render for snes (not requiring SuperFX). Perhaps you may be interested on it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLDmn2X ... MarioWorld
I already knew about that one. It requires the SA-1 chip, which was used in Super Mario RPG and Kirby's Dreamland 3.

Also, it has no support for textures, and easily chokes up when rendering a 200-something-poly model.
I have an ASD, so empathy is not natural for me. If I hurt you, I apologise.