Strange snes issue

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
Super-Hampster

Strange snes issue

Post by Super-Hampster » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:06 pm

At first I thought something was wrong with my SD2SNES, but I tried real carts and it continues. On certain games there are graphics problems. Other games are fine. There are background issues on Actraiser. The sprites are missing on DKC. Star Fox only plays the intro music and stops. It does not display graphics or read the controller. Other Super FX games work fine. I tried Vortex, Doom and Yoshi's Island. SF and SF2 are only effected. Super Metroid is fine. SMW is fine. I'm pretty sure Rockman X is fine. In fact I tried several games that worked. The Japanese version of Star Fox starts but freezes soon after. I ran both the test cart and burn-in cart roms on the SD2SNES with ingame hooks turned off and everything passes. Super Gameboy also works fine. Thoughs?

Nikku4211

Re: Strange snes issue

Post by Nikku4211 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:33 pm

Have you tried changing the power cable?
I have an ASD, so empathy is not natural for me. If I hurt you, I apologise.

Oziphantom

Post by Oziphantom » Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:03 pm

are you running PAL games on NTSC machine or NTSC games on PAL machine. They can cause all kinds of odd glitches.

Post by 93143 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:08 pm

I have a SNES that behaves funny. F-Zero has randomized terrain (which has the expected effect when driven on, so it's not a VRAM or PPU issue), Super Metroid is missing key items and doesn't display the map properly, and Yoshi's Island has glitched backgrounds.

It could be the CPU. I hear they tend to be the weak link. I bought a new SNES and it works fine. Perhaps if somebody clones the S-CPU I can eventually fix the old one...

creaothceann

Post by creaothceann » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:48 am

You could sell the SNES on ebay as broken / for parts.

Or repair it with another broken one, if you have the tools and experience...
My current setup:
Super Famicom ("2/1/3" SNS-CPU-GPM-02) → SCART → OSSC → StarTech USB3HDCAP → AmaRecTV 3.10

poorstudenthobbyist

Post by poorstudenthobbyist » Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:03 am

My first SNES's sound got all garbled randomly one day - I had thought it was the copy of Mario RPG I had just bought and was ready to return it, until I tried other games and found the sound chip wasn't working anymore.
Check out my website for NES, SNES, and Genesis tutorials here. And visit my store for some custom tools and boards for making games here.

You can also follow me on Twitter for infrequent updates and bad jokes!

Pokun

Post by Pokun » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:14 am

The 2 most common problems that I would eliminate first, are 1) bad pins in the SNES cartridge connector and/or bad cartridge pins (clean them with 90%+ isopropanol and cotton swabs or toothbrush), and 2) bad AC-adapter (so try a newer compatible one like Nikku mentioned). If none of those helps you might want to check for an internal problem. Before thinking of changing custom stuff like the CPU or APU, it might be better to first change the electrolytic capacitors, if that hasn't been done already. SNES has problems with bad power caps I think, and possibly the voltage regulator.

Unless it's a PAL/NTSC problem like Oziphantom said.

Nikku4211

Post by Nikku4211 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:25 am

93143 wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:08 pm
It could be the CPU. I hear they tend to be the weak link. I bought a new SNES and it works fine. Perhaps if somebody clones the S-CPU I can eventually fix the old one...
If someone clones the S-CPU, I hope the clone will still be more accurate than any SNES emulator's CPU implementation.
I have an ASD, so empathy is not natural for me. If I hurt you, I apologise.

Super-Hampster

Post by Super-Hampster » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:44 pm

Nikku4211 wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:33 pm
Have you tried changing the power cable?
I may try that. The SD2SNES and the HDMI adapter do put more power demand on it. They might have done some damage.

Super-Hampster

Post by Super-Hampster » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:45 pm

Pokun wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:14 am
The 2 most common problems that I would eliminate first, are 1) bad pins in the SNES cartridge connector and/or bad cartridge pins (clean them with 90%+ isopropanol and cotton swabs or toothbrush), and 2) bad AC-adapter (so try a newer compatible one like Nikku mentioned). If none of those helps you might want to check for an internal problem. Before thinking of changing custom stuff like the CPU or APU, it might be better to first change the electrolytic capacitors, if that hasn't been done already. SNES has problems with bad power caps I think, and possibly the voltage regulator.

Unless it's a PAL/NTSC problem like Oziphantom said.
Well since the same errors appear on the real carts and the same games on the SD2SNES if there is a pin problem it's with the slot. I thought about trying a recap.