SNES: Spacy Funky B.O.B. Source Code

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
MatthewCallis

SNES: Spacy Funky B.O.B. Source Code

Post by MatthewCallis »

You may have seen it on eBay quite a few weeks ago or on another forum, and here it is in all it's antique glory. The source code to an average early Super Nintendo game. Hopefully someone will be able to make good use of it, because anything is better than it sitting on my or anyone else's shelf or hard drive gathering dust. But if you do make some use of it, PLEASE let me know!

Find it on my www site.

And if you're into to prototypes or Satellaview items, I post those every time I get a chance to sit down and work on the same site as the above.
tepples

Post by tepples »

I couldn't find any copyright information in the archive. Who owns copyright in this, and under what license is it distributed?
MatthewCallis

Post by MatthewCallis »

tepples wrote:I couldn't find any copyright information in the archive.
Me either.
tepples wrote:Who owns copyright in this,
Don't know.
tepples wrote:under what license is it distributed?
License? Public Domain?
blargg

Post by blargg »

Copyright defaults to no rights for anyone but the rights holder, so a lack of license = no license, not public domain. This is most likely not public domain.

Also, the zip file had all these extra files in it. It looks like the crap Mac OS X puts in. Also, it looks like Disk D & E have both the zip files and their decompressed contents (about 1.7 MB wasted).
MatthewCallis

Post by MatthewCallis »

blargg wrote:Copyright defaults to no rights for anyone but the rights holder, so a lack of license = no license, not public domain. This is most likely not public domain.
Oh, okay. It's still likely the only copy left as the company has been taken over more than once.
blargg wrote:Also, the zip file had all these extra files in it. It looks like the crap Mac OS X puts in. Also, it looks like Disk D & E have both the zip files and their decompressed contents (about 1.7 MB wasted).
They're in there because the only extract correctly on a certain few windows apps, plus they have the original time stamps.
No space wasted, I just re-compressed it sans zips and its the same size.
Near
Founder of higan project

Post by Near »

Oh, okay. It's still likely the only copy left as the company has been taken over more than once.
No worries. It was released in 1993, so it's already 15 years old. So long as Disney / Bono do not extend copyright further, it should be public domain (and thus, legally useful) in a mere eighty years. So yeah, our grand kids might be able to make use of this shortly after their retirement.

That said, I did want to thank you for your work on getting more BS-X images out there. That's very much needed and extremely valuable, thank you :)
tepples

Post by tepples »

I asked primarily because I'm trying to figure out whether that link could get Parodius Networking in trouble.
blargg

Post by blargg »

And just in case it's unclear, I'm simply posting facts about copyright so people can make informed decisions. I don't believe in warping facts to suit any agenda (even though that's about all the Copyright Cartel does). If I were arguing that something be removed or whatever, I'd say "I think this should be removed".
Near
Founder of higan project

Post by Near »

blargg wrote:I think this should be removed
Well, you heard the man, tepples :P
Xkeeper

Post by Xkeeper »

With that completely asinine logic (it isn't hosted here, is it?), then we should forbid links to any webpage, document, image, xeroxed buttocks, whatever -- is copyrighted.

But then again, you have shown that you guys aren't a stranger to selective ignorance of copyrights.
blargg

Post by blargg »

Xkeeper, what to do YOU think is reasonable? Links to anything, even though that has gotten other sites shut down? Keep in mind that the purpose of this board and site is NES development.
Xkeeper

Post by Xkeeper »

blargg wrote:Xkeeper, what to do YOU think is reasonable? Links to anything, even though that has gotten other sites shut down? Keep in mind that the purpose of this board and site is NES development.
My stance is still that anything being sold for profit at this time should not be linked to as a free download, e.g. recent games and such.

The rest of my policy basically rests on "Will be removed by request of owner". It's just a link, after all -- if they wanted to get rid of it permanently, they would probably go after the people hosting it.
blargg

Post by blargg »

Xkeeper, I like your stance. tepples (and other admins), what's preventing that policy here?
Xkeeper

Post by Xkeeper »

blargg wrote:Xkeeper, I like your stance. tepples (and other admins), what's preventing that policy here?
Thanks :) It's worked well for a lot of other places, too :P

[size=75%](Unfortunately, my views of the nesdev administration is a bit low. A lot of bad decisions and seemingly clueless dealing with bots and the like doesn't help.)[/size]
BMF54123

Post by BMF54123 »

I've visited and/or moderated a great deal of messageboards whose policies are not nearly as black-and-white as this one's, and not one of them has received so much as a threat from copyright holders. Admins just need to use a mix of good judgment and common sense when deciding whether to remove links, taking into account both the reasoning behind the initial post and the content behind the link. What do you think a copyright holder is more likely to target: a fully-compiled ROM image of a popular commercial game, or crusty old source code from a defunct developer's backup disks? Which one would actually be usable in some way by the majority of users that download it? Which one still has the potential to bring in money, via VC/XBLA/retro game compilations?