It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Forum rules

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:49 pm 

Bregalad wrote:
Well the real lyrics are in Latin.

Yes, Bells frogs is in Latin, and Morphine makes the holy known is in Finnish, and Dew isn't a German commercial for soda.

Quote:
The longest sample in FF7 is the "veni-veni-venias vene-noe frachias" one and takes arround 200kb recored with 16-bit PCM.

At what sample rate? I seem to remember that sample is about four seconds long, which would put it at 22 kHz, right? Big Bird's Hide and Speak got away with 8 kHz.

Stigma against double posting makes this topic hard to split.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:11 am 

It's still very impressive to see a pre-rendered 3D video on the SNES. This explain why this were possible. Just like the intro in the GBA's Kindom Hearts : Chain of Memories. I remember I was stunned when a friend showed me that video, I was sure the GBA weren't capable of 3D graphics before seeing that.

Yes the voices samples in FF7 were originally meant to be played at 22050 Hz (half of the PlayStaion's DSP sampling rate).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:44 am 

Bregalad wrote:
It's still very impressive to see a pre-rendered 3D video on the SNES. This explain why this were possible. Just like the intro in the GBA's Kindom Hearts : Chain of Memories. I remember I was stunned when a friend showed me that video, I was sure the GBA weren't capable of 3D graphics before seeing that.

KH uses the same codec as the Game Boy Advance Video carts. It's compressed: 45 minutes in 32 MB, or about 12 kilobytes per second including audio and 12 fps video.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:19 am 

Quote:
KH uses the same codec as the Game Boy Advance Video carts. It's compressed: 45 minutes in 32 MB, or about 12 kilobytes per second including audio and 12 fps video.

Damn, 45 minutes ... I'm so jealous of the GBA's processing power. Damn Nintendo for being so cheap with the S-CPU! We probably couldn't handle LZSS decompression at 12 frames per second.

12fps is pretty lousy, though. It must look like a slideshow at that rate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:25 am 

byuu wrote:
12fps is pretty lousy, though. It must look like a slideshow at that rate.

Plenty of animated series shown on Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network are drawn at 12fps. Do they look like slideshows?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:44 pm 

tepples wrote:
Plenty of animated series shown on Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network are drawn at 12fps. Do they look like slideshows?

They may be drawn at 12 fps but they are frame duplicated to 24 fps and telecined to 30 fps before broadcast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:07 pm 

shadowkn55 wrote:
They may be drawn at 12 fps but they are frame duplicated to 24 fps and telecined to 30 fps before broadcast.

Likewise, each frame of a Game Boy Video is shown five times on the GBA's 60 Hz display.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:13 pm 

Quote:

Honestly? Yes ... yes they do :/
Especially Adult Swim shows. But a lot of the new animation does. Not just the US stuff, either -- .hack//SLIDE, for instance.

Neat to know it really is only 12fps, though. But yeah I see your point, you do have quite a bit more tolerance in animation than in say, live action fighting, for instance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:14 pm 

If the stock Genesis can handle FMV - then the SNES can with some cheap tricks!

What about using the S-FX1 (MarioChip) to perform the grunt work for us and move the decompressed data to the tile ram?

Also; Its probably not THAT hard to build a PIO IDE Connector (Running in 16-bit no less) controller (something that sites between the cartridge and motherboard -- like a Game Genie; but with hardware registers that can control the CDROM)

Of Course you could just stick a powerful little ARM chip in there and just bit-bang all the video hardware while the CPU sleeps... ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:20 am 

PDP-13 wrote:
Of Course you could just stick a powerful little ARM chip in there and just bit-bang all the video hardware while the CPU sleeps... ;)

That would be Super Game Boy Advance. That would be cheating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:49 pm 

Quote:
Of Course you could just stick a powerful little ARM chip in there and just bit-bang all the video hardware while the CPU sleeps...

I'm curious how you're going to drive the same address/data bus that the sCPU is attached to without physically burning it out? Is sCPU address/data driver buffered?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:25 am 

tomaitheous wrote:
Quote:
Of Course you could just stick a powerful little ARM chip in there and just bit-bang all the video hardware while the CPU sleeps...

I'm curious how you're going to drive the same address/data bus that the sCPU is attached to without physically burning it out?

The ARM core would decode to an internal work RAM, and then the memory controller could field requests from the DMA unit. Look at any of the other coprocessors, such as the Super FX, SA-1, and SPC7110.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:47 am 

Out of curiosity, how much is the VDP, em, PPU data bandwidth in SNES anyway ? Doing FMV should not be any too serious task... unless compression is involved. I could do display around 10x 320x240 4bit BMP files per second on MD ( http://www.hot.ee/tmeeco/DWNLOADS/CAR.RAR ) without using DMA in 50Hz, in 60Hz the rate drops a little... Using DMA and tilemaps instead of bitmaps would yeld in a higher rate aswell. I've heard SNES has quite fast DMA... ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:42 am 

TmEE wrote:
Out of curiosity, how much is the VDP, em, PPU data bandwidth in SNES anyway ? Doing FMV should not be any too serious task... unless compression is involved. I could do display around 10x 320x240 4bit BMP files per second on MD ( http://www.hot.ee/tmeeco/DWNLOADS/CAR.RAR ) without using DMA in 50Hz, in 60Hz the rate drops a little... Using DMA and tilemaps instead of bitmaps would yeld in a higher rate aswell. I've heard SNES has quite fast DMA... ?

I can not give exact figures, but it should certainly be doable with 30fps, letterbox format or both.

On an unrelated sidenote, I've finally made it to Kotaku and many of the major gaming newspages with N-Warp Daisakusen, which in turn sparked the interest of various german print magazines. A couple of articles are in the works, people are constantly asking for interviews, I'm loving it!

It's obvious that the game has a very hard time on newspages like Kotaku, getting more or less directly compared to the recent big commercial games of today, but as the saying goes, "any publicity is good publicity". ;)

Like I said on http://gra.dforce3000.de, my primary concern is making people aware of the fact that SNES homebrew isn't dead yet.
I'm looking forward to what the future holds.