Inside the SNES...

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
dXtr

Inside the SNES...

Post by dXtr »

Hi... I just wanted to know in what SNES you could find this?
http://www.snesmusic.org/files/soundmod.jpg

I've open up two PAL SNES and one NTSC SNES... and none of them have that type of APU... =/
all of them have the chips directly on the mainboard and not in any special module that is connected through that black connector (marked 6).
Is it some old version of the SNES? like the first? Or can it only be found in the Super Famicom (thats the only one I havn't checked)?
Sorry for misspellings, I'm from Sweden ^^
dXtr

Post by dXtr »

Answered my own question:
http://alpha-ii.com/Info/snes-spdif.html

it seems like I'm 'lucky' enough to have one of the newer revisions >_<

edit:
So how do I know that it's one of the old versions that had the SHVC-SOUND boxes in it, when I'm out to buy a new SNES?
teaguecl

Post by teaguecl »

This really is off topic. I'm sure there are SNES savvy people reading this group, but for the rest of us this is just spam. If there is interest, maybe we could ask memblers to create a SNES forum?
Quietust

Post by Quietust »

teaguecl wrote:If there is interest, maybe we could ask memblers to create a SNES forum?
There already is one...
Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

teaguecl wrote:This really is off topic. I'm sure there are SNES savvy people reading this group, but for the rest of us this is just spam. If there is interest, maybe we could ask memblers to create a SNES forum?
That's right, but a lot of people did the same with the GBA and nobody seems to complain.
Useless, lumbering half-wits don't scare us.
dXtr

Post by dXtr »

well.. the problem is that I'm a bit confused.. whether I should post a question about snes hardware in the nes HARDWARE section or in the SNES part... b/c it IS hardware. But I'm sorry if I've posted this in the wrong part [sarcasm]And I'm sorry that you're eyes exploded b/c you had to witness the terrifying word SNES.[/sarcasm]

but if you felt so offended by this thread I hope that the moderators can move this to the SNES section. So that I get some relevant answers instead :)
teaguecl

Post by teaguecl »

Bregalad wrote:
teaguecl wrote:This really is off topic. I'm sure there are SNES savvy people reading this group, but for the rest of us this is just spam. If there is interest, maybe we could ask memblers to create a SNES forum?
That's right, but a lot of people did the same with the GBA and nobody seems to complain.
I agree, someone should have moved that conversation. But that doesn't make it any better for this post to be so blatantly in the wrong place. At least the GBA discussion grew out of a NES thread. This thread was clearly created in the wrong place. It could have been an accident, we all make mistakes. I only pointed it out so that people would put a little thought into where their posts go.
I don't read the SNES forum (as evidenced by the fact that I didn't know it existed) but I regularly read this one. If it starts getting dilluted with SNES/GBA etc. content I'm less likely to stay up to date with it. Never mind how unorganized and hard to search the forums become when posts are in the wrong forums.
I didn't mean to make a big deal out of this, just trying to save myself future headaches by preventing forum pollution.
dXtr

Post by dXtr »

So basiclly a moderator have to move this to the SNES part and everyone is happy? :)
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

dXtr wrote:So basiclly a moderator have to move this to the SNES part and everyone is happy? :)
Yeah, it's all cool.

I believe the first SNES's sold in the US have that seperate sound board, and later they used the single board design (before the later one that had a different case). I'm not sure how they did it in other regions.
dXtr

Post by dXtr »

ok. thanks. I really need to get ahold of one of those.. that's why I was asking. I hope they isn't to uncommon?
Great Hierophant

Post by Great Hierophant »

I had a used SNES once with the chips integrated into the PCB rather than on a separate board and it had a label just above the reset button stuck onto the casing. I forget what it said, but I think it is indicative of the remodel.