It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Forum rules

Related:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: SNES PowerPak
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:48 pm 

lidnariq wrote:
Ramsis wrote:
The main enhancement of my SNES PowerPak firmware, however (i.e., horizontal hi-res), can never be achieved on the NES anyway, so there really isn't much point in working on it at all IMHO. :|
The corresponding upgrade for the NES would be using a proportional font.

Last time I looked at this, it looked like that wouldn't even require a full firmware upgrade, just replacing a few of the individual modules (?.MAP) ... although reflashing the actual bootloader would be an obvious way to polish it up.

The modules are fairly small though (1 KB), so can't do a whole lot within them. Could also put the replacement menu in part of the 512 KB PRG SRAM (and optionally upload a new FPGA config as well). Some juggling would have to be done to actually load the games though (unless the new menu hands over control to the old system just before the game is to be loaded, which would be a good idea for compatibility reasons as well).

While reflashing the bootloader would make things easier, I think it would be a major barrier for people to update.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:12 pm 

thefox wrote:
The modules are fairly small though (1 KB), so can't do a whole lot within them.
Aw, man, why does CardLoadModule have to only use the 1KiB from $0400 through $07FF?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:53 pm 

Ramsis wrote:
The main enhancement of my SNES PowerPak firmware, however (i.e., horizontal hi-res), can never be achieved on the NES anyway

Antialiased 4x8 pixel text can though, provided you're on a mapper that supports 16K of CHR RAM like mapper 96 (Oeka Kids).

If the NES had a power-on self-test

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:07 am 

Code is now on GitHub.

Feel free to download the latest build #11314. If you're already running v3.00 build #11310, simply copy UPDATE.ROM to your /POWERPAK folder (overwriting the existing file), go to the settings menu, and select "Check for firmware update". Otherwise, i.e. if you're still running v1.0X or v2.0X (non-beta), proceed as described in How To Use.txt. :-)

(See my GitHub profile for more)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:16 am 

The file browser is getting a major overhaul: All file browsing routines (there had been 4 of them by now) have been merged into a single subroutine. The stack is now used to keep track of directories visited, which will eventually allow me to implement convenient stuff like placing the cursor on the subdir that was visited last as soon as the user returns to the parent directory. :)

Please check out the latest build, available here: https://github.com/Ramsis-SNES/snes-powerpak-firmware-v3/blob/master/src/out/POWERPAK/UPDATE.ROM (just click on the "Raw" button to download the update ROM, put it in the /POWERPAK folder on your CF card (overwriting the existing file), then go to the PowerPak's settings menu, and select "Check for firmware update").

It would be great if as many people as possible could thoroughly test this build. Let me know if you encounter any irregularities (apart from a hidden /POWERPAK dir and an otherwise empty root directory -- this might cause problems in the theme and SRAM browser at the moment).

Thanks! :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:30 am 

I'm already on some version of the "Simba" firmware. (I can't check the exact version number for several hours.) Would I need to first install intermediate updates in order to test UPDATE.ROM?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:36 am 

Ramsis wrote:
if you're still running v1.0X or v2.0X (non-beta), proceed as described in How To Use.txt. :-)

How To Use.txt wrote:
Steps necessary:
1. Determine the current version of your firmware. You'll see the version number once you power up your SNES PowerPak. If it says, "Boot ROM v1.0X" (where X can be any number), then you have a version 1 firmware. If you spot the word "SIMBA" anywhere on the screen, then you have a version 2 firmware.
2. Copy the contents of <this release's archive root>/src/out/POWERPAK (sans the SAVES subfolder) to the POWERPAK directory on your CF card, replacing any existing file(s) (i.e., TOPLEVEL.BIT).
3. Browse to <your CF card root>/POWERPAK. Delete SI.MAP. Then, rename the SIvX.MAP file that matches your installed firmware number from step 1 (i.e., SIv1.MAP for a version 1 firmware, and SIv2.MAP for a version 2 firmware) to SI.MAP.
4. Power on your SNES PowerPak, and follow the on-screen instructions.
5. After the upgrade procedure has completed successfully, you can safely delete all *.TXT and *.MAP files from <your CF card root>/POWERPAK. :-)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:49 pm 

Thanks.

I copied SIv2.map to SI.MAP, ran the update, and now I'm on MUFASA! (Ooh, do it again) build 11310.

The use of red and blue buttons on the title screen of 11310 is kind of confusing, seeing as my controller is a U.S. one with purple A and B and lavender X and Y.

...and now I'm on 11325.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:57 am 

tepples wrote:
The use of red and blue buttons on the title screen of 11310 is kind of confusing, seeing as my controller is a U.S. one with purple A and B and lavender X and Y.

Don't forget that you can switch to a different theme with US-colored buttons at any time. :-)

tepples wrote:
...and now I'm on 11325.

Great! Feel free to report any oddities you might encounter (especially in the file browser).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:17 am 

News: When you return to a directory's parent directory, the cursor will automatically be placed on the subdirectory you left for convenience. :) Also, you can now flip through the "pages" of a directory indefinitely (i.e., no more forced "stop" at the beginning/end of the file listing).

Download:
https://github.com/Ramsis-SNES/snes-powerpak-firmware-v3/blob/master/src/out/POWERPAK/UPDATE.ROM

As always, just click on the "Raw" button to download the update ROM, put it in the /POWERPAK folder on your CF card (overwriting the existing file), then go to the PowerPak's settings menu and select "Check for firmware update". After reflashing is complete, please check out the new file browser, and don't hesitate to let me know if you encounter any issues. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:07 am 

Hi, I've installed your MUFASA firmware and it's awesome. But I've formatted the CF card and now always I get the error "Powerpak: File not found"

I backed up the CF to my hard drive, I copied the files back to the CF and keep getting the error.

Do you have any clue? Which files are necessary to copy to the CF?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:50 am 

Hi, solbad03!

Hm, that's odd. To start afresh (assuming you're already running v3.00), format your CF card with FAT32, create a folder named POWERPAK, then copy all of this stuff (except for the two SIvX.MAP files, which are only needed for the initial upgrade to v3.00) into it.

This is what your POWERPAK folder should contain for v3.00:
Code:
/SAVES
/THEMES
ERROR.LOG
LASTGAME.LOG
POWERPAK.CFG
TOPLEVEL.BIT
UPDATE.ROM

Hope that helps! :)

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:37 am 

I made a video that shows the upgrade procedure from v1.0X to the latest »MUFASA« build, and some of the new firmware's features. :-)

Link: https://youtu.be/4lJ6yjhI7zQ

Edit: And here's another video featuring not one but TWO SNES PowerPaks, and some hardware stuff. :3

Link: https://youtu.be/l7hEmTKA1Cc

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:00 am 

Ramsis wrote:
It would be great if as many people as possible could thoroughly test this build. Let me know if you encounter any irregularities

Hey, Ramsis. I just wanted to let you know that I've been using your current firmware for a while not and haven't had any issues yet. It's been working perfectly for me. Thanks again for this!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:52 pm 

Glad to hear that, Ziggy587. Thanks for the feedback! :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next