Supaboy (portable SNES clone)

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
Jagasian

Supaboy (portable SNES clone)

Post by Jagasian » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:13 pm

I just got my Supaboy. I've had a FC-16 Go for almost a year now. The Supaboy has some advantages compared to the FC-16 Go:
  • 1. The Supaboy has two SNES controller ports, so you can hook up real SNES peripherials.

2. The Supaboy is compatible with games like Super Mario RPG.

3. The D-pad and buttons have a better feel on the Supaboy. Button placement is a bit better. The FC-16 Go places the reset button right between the start and select buttons, which can lead to accidental resets.
I've only had the Supaboy for a few hours, so I've only tested a few games. Super Mario RPG (which works on my Supaboy but does not work on my FC-16) and several games including Super Mario Kart (running off of a SNES PowerPak flash cart).

Jagasian

Post by Jagasian » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:51 pm

I tested a few more games on my Supaboy, which are not playable on my FC-16 Go. I tested the games using my SNES PowerPak, since most of my SNES carts are in storage. Faceball 2000 is not playable on the FC-16 Go, but it plays perfectly on my Supaboy. Any idea as to why the FC-16 Go is incompatible? Faceball 2000 loads on the FC-16 Go, the initial credits screen displays, you can select 1 or 2 players, but it only shows a black screen when loading into a level.

marvelus10

Post by marvelus10 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:22 pm

How is the sound on yours, I have read that people can here a noise on theirs like what was present on the prototypes.

3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:44 pm

How many expansion chips work with it, all of them? It sounds like the CPU is pretty good but I haven't seen a full mapper support list yet.

Jagasian

Post by Jagasian » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:53 am

Regarding the sound, I do notice a faint very high pitched hum. It is so high pitched that I can't always hear it and I only notice it when the game is not outputting any sound.

byuu

Post by byuu » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:35 pm

That's a fairly expensive emulator. A PSP is only $20 more and you can put all the games (and system emulators) you want on that.

> How many expansion chips work with it, all of them? It sounds like the CPU is pretty good but I haven't seen a full mapper support list yet.

An emulator that uses the actual cartridge does not need special chip or mapper support. That's handled by the cartridge. All it needs to do is properly interact with the cartridge pins. The other one probably had poor handling of the extra pins on certain special chip carts.

MottZilla

Post by MottZilla » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:36 pm

Emulator? Pretty sure we are talking about a SNES clone, not some kind of emulator. I know there are the Sega Genesis Firecore clones which are emulation, but I think all SNES stuff is cloned hardware.

byuu

Post by byuu » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:34 am

> Emulator? Pretty sure we are talking about a SNES clone, not some kind of emulator.

Eh, same end result. An attempt to duplicate the original hardware, inherent with many, many flaws as a result. Maybe you cut down on the latency a tiny bit, or maybe not, but that's about the only advantage.

kyuusaku

Post by kyuusaku » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:27 am

Assuming the chips are the same as those used by other clones, they are literal clones of the mask work. One advantage is that you get a better accuracy/power ratio than any software emulator today can offer. One disadvantage is that it's hideous and clunky compared to a mainstream handheld running a software emulator.

byuu

Post by byuu » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:18 pm

If they are clones, they clearly have serious flaws with their cloning process, as many of the chips seem to be unable to run lots of games, and have unique bugs in other games.

And so aside from power usage and perhaps a slight latency difference, the only other major thing is you get an uglier form factor with no ability to fix bugs post-production.

3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:49 pm

That's BS because so far no games are said to not work, although I doubt they're that good myself still, unless you have a list of games which don't work which is what I am after too. And plus I'd love to shove a cart into my PSP and see if it plays. ;) That's the only real advantage honestly.

tepples

Post by tepples » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:06 pm

byuu wrote:If they are clones, they clearly have serious flaws with their cloning process
Possibly because they're manufactured on different processes with different microns. That might change the timing just enough that the cartridge might not respond correctly, especially if a coprocessor wants more current. But then I know nothing about IC die-shrinks.

MottZilla

Post by MottZilla » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:55 pm

People may say clones are bad or whatever but unless you cite a specific example of a problem that can be verified then it's all just unverifiable talk.

As kyuusaku said, these are real "clones" not emulators. The NES clones are pretty accurate but various problems lead many to believe they are quite poor. Primarily the duty cycle's being swapped and the incorrect cartridge port wiring that leads to the belief that they don't work with MMC5 which they probably would if the cartridge port was wired properly. And audio and video quality of output could be related to the circuits the builders of particular clones used and not a fault in the chip cloning.

I've heard some SNES clones do infact work with SA-1 games. But I cannot provide any proof myself since I have no SNES clone and have no reason to buy one. But on Youtube I recall seeing a video showing someone running SM RPG on some clone.

3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:10 pm

I've heard people say SMRPG works on it perfectly, and also Star Fox I heard worked with it, but I'm interested in other chips like Capcoms expansion chips used in MMX2+ and also F1:ROCII's AI chip.

byuu

Post by byuu » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:01 pm

> And plus I'd love to shove a cart into my PSP and see if it plays. ;)

What is the advantage of using an actual cart? It's kind of a chore to drag around my complete US game collection with me when I'm on the go.
Not to mention just finding the cart I want to play. And then there's the size of each cart adding to what you have to hold while playing.

All of that can fit on a microSD card the size of my pinky nail. The ROM data is pretty much the only thing we can truly say we have bit-perfect copies of.

> People may say clones are bad or whatever but unless you cite a specific example of a problem that can be verified then it's all just unverifiable talk.

Going from what I've heard about many of these in the past. But yeah sorry, I'm not spending $80 on this to prove a point. So if you want to ignore what I'm saying, by all means, be my guest. It's your money.
Last edited by byuu on Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.