Reproductions...Does Nintendo / Sega care?

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
Tom

Re: Reproductions...Does Nintendo / Sega care?

Post by Tom » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:23 pm

Great Hierophant wrote:I would suggest that of the $30 asking price, he may make $20 in profit per copy sold. Say 1,000 copies are sold, he may make $20,000.00 for the game.
More like $7-8. And I would be suprised if he sold 1,000 copies.
-Tom

Great Hierophant

Post by Great Hierophant » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:56 pm

Hardly squeezing the fan base is it. He could make more money hawking newspapers on the street or turning tricks in Thailand.

strat

Post by strat » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:39 pm

This repro thing makes it sort of aggravating to see the high prices "rare" games go on ebay; it wouldn't be that hard to change a more common NES game into a bootleg copy of Little Samson.

strat

Post by strat » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:04 pm

I think it's pretty cut and dried: You create the content, you get to do what you like with it. I know there's a thread or two where Sivak asked about implementing ice, but come on now. The same could be said for 6502 tutorials and NES hardware docs.

In principle, I agree it wouldn't kill Sivak to share his technical knowledge. But most of what he knows has probably been covered here or somewhere like Nerdy Nights. Putting it together is a different beast from sharing a few algorithms.

tepples

Post by tepples » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:06 pm

Did you try writing Taito and asking when the company plans to bring it to Virtual Console?

blargg

Post by blargg » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:55 pm

strat wrote:In principle, I agree it wouldn't kill Sivak to share his technical knowledge. But most of what he knows has probably been covered here or somewhere like Nerdy Nights. Putting it together is a different beast from sharing a few algorithms.
From what I've seen, Battle Kid is mostly hard work designing a game, creating lots of levels to explore, and making it a buyable cartridge that's not a net loss to produce. That is, less NES-hardware-technical.