Not receiving email notifications

Found an issue with the phpBB system here at NESdev? Use this forum to report problems.

Moderator: Moderators

jwdonal

Not receiving email notifications

Post by jwdonal »

I have not been receiving any email notifications of postings that have been made to topics that I am subscribed to for at least the last 36 hours or so. Is anyone else having this problem?

Lidnariq seems to also have this issue for PM messages as he mentioned here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=12789&start=15
WhoaMan

Re: Not receiving email notifications

Post by WhoaMan »

yes. i took down the SMTP server for a while
i dont have much to say
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

I had a report of a user not receiving the account activation email during the past few days.

I'm not sure if I can generate a test email to myself (I see the mass mailing option, I'm not wanting to dick around with that, though it can be set to apply to a certain group only). I tried sending myself a PM, but it probably won't work because it also didn't appear as an unread message (that made me lol a little).

edit: I can confirm that I was PM'd after posting that, and didn't receive an email.
feos

Post by feos »

Will all the notifications that are currently missing arrive all at once when it's fixed? Or they're eaten forever?
jwdonal

Post by jwdonal »

Also, what does "for a while" mean? A few weeks? A few months?
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

I've also noticed that I am no longer receiving e-mail notifications. Has this been permanently disabled?
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

I think the email server has been totally dead. I went ahead and tried to change it over to using a gmail account. Temporarily or whatever, I don't care, whatever works. Since there's not a simple way to generate a test email, I'll need someone to reply to this thread to see if it worked (I checked the notify me box).
freem

Post by freem »

posting by request per above post
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

That was fast. Good news, it worked.
Bavi_H

Post by Bavi_H »

Do the notifications come from the same e-mail address as before (info at nesdev dot com)? If it's a different e-mail address, I need to update my "safe" list.
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

Looks like I spoke too soon about it working, someone tried to register and instead of sending the email, gmail bounced it to it's own inbox with a "message temporarily rejected" message. When I signed into the account it gave me a "suspicious activity" warning and had me verify my phone #. Hopefully it'll get better now that I've verified that, but that remains to be seen. If this ends up not working, I can try moving it to a membler-industries.com email account.

If it still continues to not work as expected, let me know.
Do the notifications come from the same e-mail address as before (info at nesdev dot com)? If it's a different e-mail address, I need to update my "safe" list.
It still has that as the 'reply-to' address, but now it should be coming from nesdevforum at gmail dot com.
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

Looks like email has been down since Monday (the 19th). Logging in gave me the "suspicious activity" warning and a captcha, hopefully that will have cleared it up. I'll keep an eye on it, but let me know if you find that it's not working.
calima

Post by calima »

I didn't get an email notification for a PM today. It used to work a while back.

edit: seems it was just delayed by ~20min.