Piracy policy?

Found an issue with the phpBB system here at NESdev? Use this forum to report problems.

Moderator: Moderators

tepples

Piracy policy?

Post by tepples »

The Wii Virtual Console service will allow owners of Nintendo's forthcoming Wii video game console to purchase (or rent?) restrictions-managed copies of classic video games. This will put a lot of out-of-print NES and Famicom games back into print and give publishers of those games more solid grounds to attack sites carrying pirated ROM files.

Dwedit has criticized this board's stance on links to sites containing ROMs, calling it even looser than that of Pocket Heaven. Is this something that we should be concerned about if we don't want publishers to attack Memblers and Parodius Networking, especially with Wii Virtual Console on the horizon? Is it time to set a solid policy for this board?
dXtr

Post by dXtr »

I can agree that there is lots of talk of rom when it comes to emulation development here.. but I don't see what the issue about talking about a rom is.. I can understand the issue if some one would link to a site containing the roms, but that's not something I've seen here.

edit:

Dwedit > I would really like you to point out all this amount of links to copyrighted roms that you're talking about.. and if you do that maybe the mods could do something about it ;)

(and just so none has to digg it up, yes I know I linked to some game copier bios:es in a snes thread.. but I also said I (or the mods) would remove them if the mods didn't think it was ok)
Sorry for misspellings, I'm from Sweden ^^
tepples

Post by tepples »

dXtr wrote:I can understand the issue if some one would link to a site containing the roms, but that's not something I've seen here.
I have seen a ROM link.
dXtr

Post by dXtr »

and as you seem to be a mod around here.. what do you do? :P

(yes I know this discussion is just about that, what you mods should do when something like this gets posted.)

my original post was more of:
"but that's not something I've seen *to much of* here."

but for some reason I can't recall right now I removed the part between the * chars.

I only got a little upset b\c Dwedit made it sound like this was rom-pirates paradise in his post.
Sorry for misspellings, I'm from Sweden ^^