Charset conflicts

Found an issue with the phpBB system here at NESdev? Use this forum to report problems.

Moderator: Moderators

Quietust

Charset conflicts

Post by Quietust »

Whenever I attempt to fetch a document from the forum, Apache is specifying the character set to be ISO-8859-1, causing Mozilla and Firefox to IGNORE the charset defined in the document's <meta http-equiv...> tag. As a result, ALL forum languages are being displayed as ISO-8859-1 rather than the character sets they specify.
If I recall correctly, the problem is within PHP's configuration - it has a way to specify a default character set, whicih must be DISABLED in order for this to work properly.

[EDIT]
An alternate fix for this problem is as follows:
1. Open includes/page_header.php
2. At the end, locate the line `$template->pparse('overall_header');`
3. Before that line, insert `header ('Content-Type: text/html; charset=' . $lang['ENCODING']);`
4. Open admin/page_header.php
5. At the end, locate `$template->pparse('header');`
6. Before, insert `header ('Content-Type: text/html; charset=' . $lang['ENCODING']);`
Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.

Post by Guest »

It's early in the morning, so pardon me if I'm off my rocker. *still rubbing his eyes*

I don't think this kind-of change is possible; PHP is run as a CGI, not an Apache module.

Meaning, there's no way (I know of) to set default_charset to "" (to disable PHP sending the HTTP Charset: header, as mentioned here) outside of using "php_value" or "php_admin_value" inside of Apache via .htaccess or the httpd.conf.

I would think using ini_set() inside of PHP would come too late in the process (default HTTP headers already being sent at that point), but I really don't know just how much of a "pre"-parser PHP is, if you get my drift. Otherwise, I'd probably just use ini_set() inside of phpBB's extension.inc.
koitsu

Re: Charset conflicts

Post by koitsu »

Quietust wrote: An alternate fix for this problem is as follows:
1. Open includes/page_header.php
2. At the end, locate the line `$template->pparse('overall_header');`
3. Before that line, insert `header ('Content-Type: text/html; charset=' . $lang['ENCODING']);`
4. Open admin/page_header.php
5. At the end, locate `$template->pparse('header');`
6. Before, insert `header ('Content-Type: text/html; charset=' . $lang['ENCODING']);`
I've deployed this -- so far it looks legit.

There sure seems to be an awful lot of oversights in this forum software...
Quietust

Post by Quietust »

koitsu wrote:I've deployed this -- so far it looks legit.
And it looks good here, too. Firefox is finally displaying the Japanese language pack in UTF-8 like it's supposed to.
There sure seems to be an awful lot of oversights in this forum software...
The phpBB team actually knows about this problem already; they simply decided to defer fixing it until phpBB 2.2 (which is still pretty far from release).

Post by Guest »

Good deal. Also solved the Email issue, and tinkered with some of the style colours a bit... I'm really going to need tepples or someone else to go through those and figure out what looks good for the boards.

Of course, this is also just a "test run" -- if the back-end db gets horked or we break something in the process, it's not a big deal. Entirely different if and when the board gets moved or migrated... :)

Wiki stuff is coming along well (blargg dropped me an Email), I see!

Post by Guest »

That reply should've been from me, koitsu. Damn login things... ;D
Quietust

Post by Quietust »

Er, it looks like this problem has reappeared...

Post by Guest »

Sounds like my upgrade of MySQL 4.0.8 to 4.0.11 somehow "broke" the default table settings. I'll fix it after I take care of some stuff first.

Pretty weird that it'd break though. Very odd...

-- koitsu

Post by Guest »

That should be 4.1.8 to 4.1.11, sorry. God I'm going brain-dead...

Post by Guest »

Looks like its not related to MySQL this time, but rather the server headers.

I see a lot of the PHP scripts for the board here updated on May 7th (today) about 5 hours ago, so my guess is that memblers upgraded it or something along those lines.

The problem looks like the Content-Type being sent in the HTML is iso-8859-1 regardless of what the actual content is, so I'll have to go fix all of that up... Heh. :-)

Post by Guest »

Yep, found that some of the language/ files had been changed (particularly lang_english's stuff) back to iso-8859-1. I set it to utf-8. The other languages were not touched (still utf-8).

In addition, the include/ and admin/ php files mentioned in this thread had also been updated and lacked the set-lang-encoding code.

According to my peers, things are working now. View Source shows the right thing, so I believe its working okay.

Let me know. :-)

-- koi
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

Yep, I updated phpBB today by uploading the changed files. Sorry if I broke something, heheh. Maybe it's safer to use the patch, but I don't know how.

Post by Guest »

Memblers wrote:Yep, I updated phpBB today by uploading the changed files. Sorry if I broke something, heheh. Maybe it's safer to use the patch, but I don't know how.
Don't worry about it, man. :-) Q caught it, so it's all good.

Maybe I should write up some stupid little doc thing with some perl+sed crap which will recursively go through and fix all of it after an upgrade. *lazy zzzz*

-- koi

Thanks

Post by Guest »

Damn, i never thought of looking at it that way, thanks.
Quietust

Post by Quietust »

It's time to apply this fix again...

Dammit, Memblers, next time use the patch file!