Third-level forums

Found an issue with the phpBB system here at NESdev? Use this forum to report problems.

Moderator: Moderators

koitsu

Re: Third-level forums

Post by koitsu »

rainwarrior wrote:The way things are structured here, though, puts posts themselves in very exclusive categories. You don't get to see "SNESdev" posts in the "Other retro dev" stream, they are effectively separate forums, and the tree structure is totally wasted, because the only thing that's really in a tree is the presentation of links between forums. The posts themselves are not functionally acting as if they had a hierarchy.
This too is my primary concern about/reservation with the "sub-board" stuff. I'm completely flexible about it (I too use the "View unread posts" feature), but it's not really a "sub-board" when it's implying a hierarchical layout (yet isn't). If the sub-boards were listed under a "category" and that category wasn't a forum/board itself, it would make much more logical sense.

One has to remember (speaking generally here, not at rainwarrior): the common usability of a forum as a whole is, IMO, more important than presenting an illusion of a hierarchical tree (what phpBB calls sub-boards). I believe a balance between the two can be achieved in some manner, I just don't know what to recommend that's within the confines/design of phpBB.

In short: the previous layout seemed good to me, but as I said, I'm flexible in this regard. :-)
darryl.revok

Post by darryl.revok »

I suppose I'm responsible for this. I thought it would be nice to have the compo stuff together. I had no idea it would create a stink.

I'm pretty excited to contribute to the compo and I'm just in favor of anything that increases accessibility of that. In theory, it would be neat, I think, if you could look at the previous compo posts, and browse them as a group. See what sort of talk was going on about Lawn Mower at the time. It's just a thought though and surely no big deal. It's easy to come up with pipe dreams especially when it's somebody else who would do the work.

Since I started this thing I almost feel obligated to throw in my two cents, although it's not much beyond what I've said. I'm in favor of promoting Homebrew, Newbie Help, and NESdev higher, but that reflects my personal opinion of wanting to see game development. I usually use view active topics almost exclusively. I'll occasionally look at an individual board. When I do, it's usually to see if something appealing slipped past without me noticing or enough people replying to bump it up. To that effect, I'd find that better separation would be more useful. I'll want to keep up with the Compo stuff once rules get posted and things progress and I post my progress thread. Right now there's not much, but I could see there being a couple of pages of threads on the topic by the time deadline hits, and then there will still be plenty to talk about. Maybe I'm being optimistic, but I think a positive attitude is good when it comes to wanting to get people involved in a group activity.

Really, I have no serious stake in the matter, and I wouldn't be hurt if nothing changed from how it was or is now. I just wanted to throw out the idea of a separate category for the compo with the rules stickied and things of that nature.

Now, to the topic of actually doing real forum maintenance, I have long wondered if there is a link to donate to NESdev for the time spent in maintaining this community? I know it's a labor of love but it is for us too, and I for one wouldn't mind chipping in a little here and there. I'm not talking about big bucks but I've used the forum enough that I feel like I should. Maybe some people already do this. I for one would support a donate link. Prominent enough for regular users to find it but not in your face enough to be obnoxious.
tepples

Post by tepples »

darryl.revok wrote:In theory, it would be neat, I think, if you could look at the previous compo posts, and browse them as a group. See what sort of talk was going on about Lawn Mower at the time. It's just a thought though and surely no big deal. It's easy to come up with pipe dreams especially when it's somebody else who would do the work.
I thought LAN Master was pipe dreams, not Lawn Mower :P
Drag

Post by Drag »

It looks like there's enough interest to consider unfolding SNESdev and GBdev out from Other. Perhaps consider making a new category for "other retro dev" and have snes/gb/other on the main page again? There doesn't appear to be any complaints for the other combinations.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

I often have trouble trying to figure out which existing category my post is most relevant to. Often times I'm doing something I think is relevant to all of "homebrew" and "music" and "nesdev" all at once, and I really don't know where it belongs, and I don't want to cross post, either. So... personally I already think we're overcategorized here.
Well I never understood the point of the "homebrew" forum, or in what way it is any different from the "NESDev" forum (the first sub-forum, not the forums as a whole). For me they are 1:1 the same thing.

But oh yeah, it's such a mess now that I guess the new status quo isn't that bad. It makes sense to have "SNESDev" and "GBDev" under "other retro dev", obviously. But still separate because they are more "popular".
thefox

Post by thefox »

Bregalad wrote:Well I never understood the point of the "homebrew" forum, or in what way it is any different from the "NESDev" forum (the first sub-forum, not the forums as a whole). For me they are 1:1 the same thing.
The "Homebrew Projects" is for, well, projects. You wouldn't post something like "how do I implement collision" in there. You would post "my new game project XYZ".
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

From a newcomer's perspective, having a compo subcategory would be at least neat, especially if older compo threads were moved there. My reasoning is that browsing the newbie help category from time to time as an anonymous lurker in a couple of years is what helped me build up the confidence to finally take the plunge get into all the documents produced by the community, pdf scans of 80s homebrew books, and so on.

I hope i can do an entry for the next compo. It may fail, but i'd sure like to try. Being able to conveniently have a scope of how the nes compo scene has evolved would certainly help, and be interesting, and may encourage more newcomers to join in and try to contribute.

That being said, though, it wouldn't help if the category turned out as backwater. Could there be a middle road to mitigate this? What if compo subforum threads were mirrored to be listed in nesdev when browsing that?
Near
Founder of higan project

Post by Near »

If you're like me, and can't distinguish between the "new posts" and "no new posts" icons for the third-level forums (becuase the icon is 12x9 and only 1/3rd of that gets a very slight color shift for the new posts version), then add this to your Adblock rules list:

Code: Select all

http://forums.nesdev.com/styles/subsilver2/imageset/icon_post_target.gif
That'll hide the icon when there's not new posts. So if you see the icon, you know there are new posts.
tepples

Post by tepples »

At this point I'm inclined to agree that the "No new posts" icon for third level forums isn't doing much good, and icon vs. no icon would do a better job of showing contrast. Any objections to removing the CSS rule for a.read:before that adds the icon?
Myask

Post by Myask »

Some difference greater than desaturated light red vs white on exactly the same outline might also help. Colorblindness makes them hard to tell apart…not that I use the front page of the forums, like, ever.