Clicking on NESDev forum puts mouse at Subscribe link

Found an issue with the phpBB system here at NESdev? Use this forum to report problems.

Moderator: Moderators

Dwedit

Clicking on NESDev forum puts mouse at Subscribe link

Post by Dwedit »

When I click on the link to the NESdev board, the mouse cursor happens to be exactly where the "Subscribe to this forum" link is. I can't tell you how many times I've accidentally triggered that feature.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
tepples

Re: Clicking on NESDev forum puts mouse at Subscribe link

Post by tepples »

Could not reproduce. It may depend on the monitor size and fonts installed on a particular device.

On the other hand, it might have something to do with having moderator privileges, which pushes some elements down on some pages. I can't test this without an unprivileged alt account, as anonymous visitors don't get the subscribe link. And I thought I gave up alt-itis back when alt.aol-sucks on Usenet was still a thing.
Attachments
Depends on fonts.gif
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Reproduced:
nesdev-subscribe-overlay.png
(I always use "View unread posts" so it doesn't trouble me)
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

tepples wrote:Could not reproduce. It may depend on the monitor size and fonts installed on a particular device.
You've overlooked the fact that you have a "Moderator Control Panel" row/line that shifts the vertical offset of everything down further than those who don't.

The "problem" is that the links are slightly overlayed atop one another. I honestly don't see how this at all unique to the nesdev forums; any link you click on the web is essentially subject to potentially causing unwanted behaviour due to a double-click (either by the user, by mouse button switches that are wearing down, or by badly-implemented button handling in the UI/OS (Windows is notorious for this, ex. double-clicking a filename in a File/Open dialog, where the application is coded so that it ends up passing the 2nd button click down into whatever app/window is underneath it. Winamp has this problem, and I know in the past foobar2k has too)).

That said, I do find the "Subscribe forum" and "Mark topics read" row/line sorta out of place (visually), but I really don't know of any place to put it that would be more convenient. Not sure if the phpBB themes/layouts let you change this, but maybe instead of:

Code: Select all

<tr class="nav">
  <td valign="middle">&nbsp;<a href="./viewforum.php?uid=3&f=2&watch=forum&start=0&hash=ff1544bd">Subscribe forum</a></td>
  <td align="right" valign="middle"><a href="./viewforum.php?hash=ecc97b91&f=2&mark=topics">Mark topics read</a>&nbsp;</td>
</tr>
Use the "Foo | Bar | Blat" method, all right-aligned, e.g.:

Code: Select all

<tr class="nav">
  <td align="right" valign="middle">
    <a href="./viewforum.php?uid=3&f=2&watch=forum&start=0&hash=ff1544bd">Subscribe forum</a> |
    <a href="./viewforum.php?hash=ecc97b91&f=2&mark=topics">Mark topics read</a>&nbsp;
  </td>
</tr>
Just my $0.02.
zzo38

Post by zzo38 »

Use Stylish extension to delete that link then, if you don't intend to use it.
(Free Hero Mesh - FOSS puzzle game engine)
Drag

Post by Drag »

Why not make Dwedit a mod? That will fix it. :P