Clicking on links opens them in the same tab

Found an issue with the phpBB system here at NESdev? Use this forum to report problems.

Moderator: Moderators

krzysiobal

Clicking on links opens them in the same tab

Post by krzysiobal »

The one thing that annoys me in this forum is that when you click on any link in someone's post (even pointing to external website), it opens in the same tab, so when you decide to close the tab you've just opened, you are pissed off because you don't have the forum tab any longer in browser and you must go to history to bring it back. On most forums, clicking links in posts opens them in new tab.
thefox

Re: Clicking on links opens them in the same tab

Post by thefox »

In most browsers you can middle-click on a link to open it in a new tab.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

On my Android phone browser, I can touch and hold (a link) for a few seconds, and a menu of options pops up, the first is "open in a new tab"
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

It's a convention for some websites to open external links in a new tab, and internal links in the same tab.

I don't personally find it necessary (if I want a new tab, I ask the browser for it), but if you're someone who relies on this convention it becomes irritating when it isn't there.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

I normally assume that all links in any page will open on the same window/tab, so when I don't want that to happen I explicitly ask for a new tab (when on my PC, my favorite way to do this is to hold Ctrl while clicking the link). I personally prefer it this way, because I get to choose whether I want a new tab or not. I didn't check, but I don't think browsers have a "open in the same tab" option if the link's default behavior is to open a new one, so you're stuck with doing what the site wants you to do.