What happened to the Nesdev phpBB theme?!?!

Found an issue with the phpBB system here at NESdev? Use this forum to report problems.

Moderator: Moderators

tokumaru

What happened to the Nesdev phpBB theme?!?!

Post by tokumaru »

Why does Nesdev look like this?
nesdev.png
kuja killer

Re: What happened to the Nesdev phpBB theme?!?!

Post by kuja killer »

same here, i perfed my dark, black theme,
not this super bright white. :(
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

Probably the theme is nonfunctional after a PHPBB upgrade, until it is migrated to the new version's code.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Wow, what a shock I have this morning !
Will take some time to get used to this.
Near
Founder of higan project

Post by Near »

That's exactly right. I recently re-created my phpBB board, and the new phpBB isn't compatible with all the traditional themes. I was really partial to Hermes and Serenity, but they're all broken and not being updated now.

You can force the themes to install by editing the config files to state it's compatible anyway, but the board will have lots of small rendering errors as a result. If someone wants to meticulously go through and fix all the errors, it's doable, but not really worth the trouble. I think I'm pretty much done with phpBB myself. It's ancient software that has not kept up with the latest web trends.
Rahsennor

Post by Rahsennor »

WHO MOVED MY CHEESE!?

Now I can't find anything, 90% of the site is unreadable because it depends on 11 different scripts and remote fonts, I can't move my mouse without some popup obscuring what I'm trying to read, I can't block said popups because half the links I want to find are inside them - who designed this pile of crap? Nesdev of all places should know better.

I'm out. See you when we have an admin again.
Garth

Post by Garth »

I suppose you could turn the monitor brightness down if you think it's too bright. I do like that it's much, much easier to read now. The way it was before, I kind of had to highlight the quoted sections to be able to read them at all, with that dark grey against dark blue, or whatever it was.
http://WilsonMinesCo.com/ lots of 6502 resources
nocash

Post by nocash »

Mine looks as shown below, blue, pink, black, green... it looks as if the toxic gender pronoun discussion has actually derailed worse than predicted (or as if something else is under construction).
The Quick Links drop down menu appears automatically if java script is disabled in browser (or manually after clicking Quick Links if java script is enabled).
There are a lot of undefined characters appearing as rectangles (or "fl" for search), probably related to my old browser.
The post a reply page comes up with many blinking smilies and says "Smilies are ON" (despite of having them disabled everywhere in posting/display options).
The bold/italic/underline/quote/code/list/image/url/color buttons are also appearing as rectangles.
On the other hand bq/center/centre/rtl=/s/sub/sup/tt appear as text. Btw. is there a difference between center and centre?
Attachments
nesdev.gif
Last edited by nocash on Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
homepage - patreon - you can think of a bit as a bottle that is either half full or half empty
FitzRoy

Post by FitzRoy »

It's time consuming, but by finding a theme that's close to what you want, then inspecting elements in firefox or chrome, you can create a decent theme without all the ridiculous spacing and rounded corners and pastel colors. I do like how this theme doesn't span the screen 100%, though.

You'd think forum code would make use of <table> and you'd just have to edit some global attributes to affect the appearance of all cells, but it's not like that at all. Literally every cell type is essentially it's own element, and to make borders, cells are nested into other cells with padding. This allows maximum customization, but only if you really know what you're doing and have 50 hours to burn. It's why there are so few downloadable themes relative to the number of people using phpbb.

Also, their devs are hilarious. Avatars changed to right default in 2007. I've heard that the reason they did it was to give content focus over who's saying it. What does that even mean? Knowing who is speaking before it's spoken is integral to avoiding confusion in group conversation. That's why every chatroom, messenger or forum ever has put names before words. Yet somehow they find some SJW problem where no problem exists.
Last edited by FitzRoy on Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
8bitMicroGuy

Post by 8bitMicroGuy »

Looks very 2010-ish to me. I actually like it. Reminds me of the good old days of phpBB back when I used to host forums. I thought that a revival of nesdev.com has happened as there was one time recently during which it was down. I was glad that it is up when I opened it.
krzysiobal

Post by krzysiobal »

Totally ugly, even the avatars of post's authors are on the right side. What a mess.
And why the "Submit" button changed its place from left to right also.
Can find 98 more reasons that old scheme needs to be reverted back
Ice Man

Post by Ice Man »

The worst part of all is that I can't actually find an option to change to another theme at all.
Near
Founder of higan project

Post by Near »

FitzRoy wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:02 amLiterally every cell type is essentially it's own element, and to make borders, cells are nested into other cells with padding.
That's part of what I meant, yeah. A modern site would just be a few semantic tags and themed entirely with CSS. Writing a theme should only be a few dozen lines of code. But phpBB was written during a time when border-radius wasn't even a thing, and the software has never caught up to the new reality.

phpBB still doesn't support "nofollow" on URLs, and so a billion bots try to register every single day unless you manually customize your registration screen.

Also, the latest version of phpBB still doesn't support PHP 7.3, so you have to run an outdated PHP version just to use this software. And if you then want to use something modern like lychee, which requires PHP 7.3 or newer, well ... too bad.
Ice Man wrote:The worst part of all is that I can't actually find an option to change to another theme at all.
They're all incompatible. They broke every classic style. All of the new version themes are complete garbage.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

The new theme is definitely more mobile-friendly, but the big changes (e.g. member information on the right) are disorienting, and it looks generic as hell.
getafixx

Post by getafixx »

Yeah this is pretty terrible. It looks like the same bland "overhaul" that happened to NintendoAge when it was bought out.

I hope this is only temporary...?