It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Rules discussion
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:22 pm 

It was inevitable. The board has rules now. Feel free to ask for clarifications or to suggest new rules based on specific annoying behaviors that you have seen.

Last edited by tepples on Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:33 pm 

Does the no piracy rule extend to disassemblies of SMB1?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:43 pm 

I would imagine that a commented disassembly of a commercial game program done in a scholarly tone might fall under fair use as a comment on the program, as long as nobody tries to sell copies of a mod of that program. Compare to Lions' Commentary on UNIX. But good luck getting the rom kiddies to produce such disassemblies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:01 pm 

Quote:
Do not advertise currency exchange or services related to a multiplayer role-playing or simulation game on a non-Nintendo platform.

This needs to be ironed out, I think. Spam is ok, as long as it's for a Nintendo platform? Why limit it to MMO services?

If you need to make this a rule, just have some general No Spamming / No Commercial Advertising rule.

I suppose exceptions should be made for things of obvious interest to the board, like retrousb.com coming out with a new NES product or whatever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:12 am 

loopy wrote:
Spam is ok, as long as it's for a Nintendo platform? Why limit it to MMO services?

It's not limited to massive games: the rule as it exists today covers Diablo and Starcraft too. But I wrote it this way because spam related to Windows-based online games is the pattern of abuse that has shown up over the past few weeks. As the pattern expands, the rules will expand with it.

Quote:
I suppose exceptions should be made for things of obvious interest to the board, like retrousb.com coming out with a new NES product or whatever.

Which is one reason for the Nintendo platform exception.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:47 pm 

tepples wrote:
loopy wrote:
Spam is ok, as long as it's for a Nintendo platform? Why limit it to MMO services?

It's not limited to massive games: the rule as it exists today covers Diablo and Starcraft too. But I wrote it this way because spam related to Windows-based online games is the pattern of abuse that has shown up over the past few weeks. As the pattern expands, the rules will expand with it.

Looks like you need to add a clause about chinese pottery and Kung Fu classes.

(edit)
Judging by our new members' www links, you might also want to consider preemptively banning ads for beauty products, korean software(?), and luxury watches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:42 am 

Well at least even the spammers are reading the rules. Updated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:54 am 

It's sad to make rules, but frequent use of non-censored bad language should be definitely be banned, along with posts containing very long lists of stuff irelevant to NESDev.

Also, just as posts that answer to a NESDev topic and switch to another topic are moved on a new thread, posts that answer NESDev topic with a topic with no relation at all (or just posts that make no sense and answers posts that make sense) should be moved to a garbage thread or something like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:00 pm 

Based on past experience with other boards I've moderated, I highly doubt there are actual people behind these accounts. Bots don't read rules; I'm pretty sure they're just automatically rotating their ads, perhaps partially in an attempt to avoid keyword filters and automatic bans.

How old is this version of phpBB, anyway? Recent versions are probably less susceptible to automated spam attacks. At the very least, I'm sure you can find modifications to the registration code that would block them at the first step (a CAPTCHA, perhaps?).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:23 pm 

How about a rule that allows a moderator to delete any members' replies to spammers, if the member's post has no on-topic content? Otherwise a spammer incites witty replies by members, moderator deletes spam, but members' posts are left behind in an unrelated technical thread. Thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:44 am 

How hard is it to just delete dangling, useless posts? Do you need a rule to do that too?

blargg wrote:
How about a rule that allows a moderator ...

I think rules are for guiding regular user behavior, not telling mods what they can or can't do.

A moderator who can't deal with situations on his own, relying on a book of codes to tell him what to do would be a ineffectual moderator indeed.

This is all just common sense net etiquitte anyway. If someone acts up, bop him on the head and carry on.

DAMN ALL THESE STUPID RULES, HOW LONG HAS THIS BOARD BEEN RUNNING? WHAT HAS CHANGED IN JUST ONE WEEK TO F*CK EVERYTHING UP?

Nothing, just trivial sh!t. In a week or two, it will blow over and be back to normal. Except for that new pile of rules and a moderator running around playing police man.

Oh crap. Now we need a rule about typing in caps.

Last edited by loopy on Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:12 am 

I agree that reply to spam should be deleted too. There's really no point in replying to spam anyways... It's not like the spammer is going to read it, or care. It's not like it could help a mod spot spam in a thread either, as they scan the forums all the time. So there really is no point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:38 am 

loopy wrote:
How hard is it to just delete dangling, superfluous posts? Do you need a rule to do that too?

blargg wrote:
How about a rule that allows a moderator ...

I think rules are for guiding regular user behavior, not telling mods what they can or can't do.

A moderator who can't deal with situations on his own, relying on a book of codes to tell him what to do would be a ineffectual moderator indeed.

This is all just common sense net etiquitte anyway. If someone acts up, bop him on the head and carry on.

DAMN ALL THESE STUPID RULES, HOW LONG HAS THIS BOARD BEEN RUNNING? WHAT HAS CHANGED IN JUST ONE WEEK TO F*CK EVERYTHING UP?

Nothing, just trivial sh!t. In a week or two, it will blow over and be back to normal. Except for that new pile of rules and a moderator running around playing police man.

Oh crap. Now we need a rule about typing in caps.

I feel what loopy is saying in this post. I mean, there hasn't ever been a need for rules around here, and I think there still isn't a need. Things should always be dealt with on a case-by-case basis on a forum like NESDev. For the most part, it's quiet around here. I think that's a REALLY good thing. People get more tight with each other, listen to each other, etc.... whatever, that's a different subject.

What I'm getting at is just because there has been some different posts on this board than what we're used to, doesn't mean we have to change things and add "rules" to it. This has always been a good spot where none of us had to worry about rules, only worry if our code was good enough or not ; )

I'd personally like to see the rules be gone, and do as what loopy said above, use common sense net etiquette when using moderation powers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:47 am 

My board allows guest posting, and it gets almost no spam.
How I pulled it off:
* Fake invisible textarea when making a post which spammers fill their text into
* Disallow guests and users with less than 3 posts from posting links

All that matters is that it's not a stock version of the message board software.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:06 am 

blargg: Added rule to clarify that mods may do the same things here that I've been doing on gbadev.org.

Dwedit wrote:
* Disallow guests and users with less than 3 posts from posting links

If a new user signs up on dwedit.org to report a bug in PocketNES, how does he cite the test case that he created to demonstrate the bug if he can't link or upload it?