It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:10 am 

loppy and Roth, I agree fully. If this were my board, I would have kicked/banned/deleted any fuck-tards from the start. Rules broken? Just the one that says NO FUCKTARDS. But apparently the mods don't work that way, so I'm just trying to work with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:26 pm 

blargg wrote:
loppy and Roth, I agree fully. If this were my board, I would have kicked/banned/deleted any fuck-tards from the start. Rules broken? Just the one that says NO FUCKTARDS. But apparently the mods don't work that way, so I'm just trying to work with that.

The rule is already "Don't be a dick". But there's so much discussion about whether or not jargon has actually been a dick that I have trouble seeing the dickery itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:24 pm 

About the linking, someone could type something like this:

nesdev dot parodius dot com

and get away with not typing an actual link. I think it's not a bad idea for blocking spam.

Just a random thought, I don't know how well it would work out, you could put a notice/rule that says that a mod can ban any member/delete any posts at will. Though that might result in disaster if a different moderator were to come about, I think Tepples wouldn't abuse this power. Just a thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:33 pm 

Celius wrote:
you could put a notice/rule that says that a mod can ban any member/delete any posts at will.

I thought such powers were implicit and understood. Why is an extra rule necessary?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:35 pm 

loopy wrote:
Celius wrote:
a mod can ban any member/delete any posts at will.

I thought such powers were implicit and understood. Why is an extra rule necessary?

"For the avoidance of doubt", as one often sees in the terms of a contract. But then I guess "Don't be a dick" and "Your posts may disappear" cover that rule.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:46 pm 
Site Admin

The rules are un-instated, gone, obliterated. We never needed rules before. Though it was all wrote up well enough, we don't need it. The part of the forum with the rules are still there, just hidden.

Just saying "No Fucktards", sums it up best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:04 pm 

And there was much rejoicing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:47 pm 

Memblers wrote:
The rules are un-instated, gone, obliterated. We never needed rules before. Though it was all wrote up well enough, we don't need it. The part of the forum with the rules are still there, just hidden.

Just saying "No Fucktards", sums it up best.

Thank God.

Now how about appointing a mod/admin that is willing and able to apply this rule?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:55 am 

I take it "fucktard", "dick", "jerk" and the like are defined as "inconsiderate person" like on Meta. But then how do I determine which posts show inconsiderate behavior?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:07 am 

No offence, but you shouldn't be a mod if you can't figure that out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:45 am 

I try to figure it out as best I can, but I guess I might have disagreed with some people on whether or not jargon has been inconsiderate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:11 pm 

In my view, it's a question of whether any users regularly disrupt discussions in a similar way. Higher level than simple-to-define behavior. It's about the effect. The goal of most forums is to foster discussion on topics that interest most participants. Anything which skews it towards satisfying just a few participants must be dealt with. The obvious first approach is to talk to those doing the disruption so that they can see the effect and solve the problem on their own. Once that fails, more crude solutions are necessary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:38 am 

http://nesdev.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=4365

Were this any other messageboard, this idiot would have been banned more than a month ago.

Enough is enough. I've had it with this bullsh!t. tepples, you're a really smart guy, but that's also your biggest flaw as a moderator--you can't turn the logic off when the need arises. We shouldn't have to make detailed lists explaining why this guy should be banned when it's clear as day that he's insulting and irritating the hell out of everyone. If you can't figure out for yourself what kinds of behavior are acceptable here, or take appropriate action when lines are repeatedly crossed, perhaps you should hand the keys over to someone who can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:19 am 

I do agree with BMF54123 that this thread is going out of hand. I read all the messages of this board every day and it should have never went that far. It's obvious the owner of this thread only goal is to push the limit more and more and see "how far the rabbits holes goes". This thread is doing more harm than good.

Tepples, I do understand that you want to be impartial and in some way this is the right thing to do as a moderator, but because of this, it kind of stop you at the same time do your job properly.

If you do have an issue regarding if an user should be banned or not then what I would suggest you is to pick a few active members of the boards that are willing to give their opinion and to vote on the issue. This way, it will be a group consensus. So if most people opinion and vote are the same as yours you will be able to make a better decision.

Are people willing to do this? I don't mind to be a volunteer on this issue because I like this board and want to see more interesting discussion everyday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:38 am 

I do agree that people should vote on such matters. However the people vote should determine the moderator's course of action. If everyone here is all mad about a certain user insulting people and posting nothing productive, it is obvious that that user should be banned for the good of the board.