It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:57 am 

I see what you mean but never use these options. I always been against those form saving functionality for security reasons. So this mean it will be asked on every post. hmm... We should keep it in mind as one possible solution. It seems a little bit drastic but could work if it goes out of hand.

I'm no expert for phpbb but one option I saw in this thread is to have a note to admin on admin activation. But this imply that the admin must activate every account, which could be a chore. I don't mind to help for that part. Bots will not write that note and human spammers must write something that make sense to be able to be activated. Bot could at a later stage write something but since it's a script, it would need to be targeted at nesdev anyway so it should be easy to filter out.

I think this should reduce already a lot of spam but I don't know which version of phpbb we are using right now. The (C) on the front page seems to imply an older version. It may make it harder for normal users to register but I guess someone that really wants to talks about nes programming and that is not a spammer is able to write a simple text about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:30 am 

The whole concept of what I described **is** that it requires administrators to confirm/deny applications for an account with posting ability. All existing automated methods (CAPTCHAs, etc.) have been defeated.

Regarding phpBB version: the copyright logo, AFAIK, has nothing to do with the version. The site uses phpBB 2.0.21, while 2.0.23 happens to be the latest in the 2.0.x series.

I realise they're up to 3.x, but I'm certain migrating from one to the next is a pain. Not to mention, the phpBB installation here has custom modifications to make Unicode work for the non-English forums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:10 pm 

In that case, someone should suggest guidelines as to what to look for in a new user's introduction before granting privileges.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:15 am 

Koitsu:

I really don't know squat about phpBB so I based my judgment on the date of the page. If we could upgrade without too much hassle to 2.0.23, I guess it would be enough for now. This way, we could use the note to admin "plugin", if we can call it that way.

@Tepples:
I think there is no 100% fail safe way to make sure the person that will register is not a spammer. You have to use your own judgment based on the message for the note to admin. If it seems the intention of the user is nes oriented, we have to give them a chance. A bot will not post something that make sense. A human spammer, he will have to be creative a little bit.

Of course it's not 100% sure no spammer will try to post spam but still better than the current situation. Worst situation, if the spam degenerate after that, we can go with Koitsu suggestion. But for now I would still prefer a solution that is less drastic then this one, unless we have no choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:16 am 

We wouldn't even need a mod that allows notes to administrator. I'd prefer to make a single forum that any registered user can post in, called "Introductions". A coherent introduction would result in privileges. I'm ready to open a straw poll in another topic.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6