It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:35 am
Posts: 85
Right on cue...


Celius wrote:
Yeah, I've actually noticed that the front page has been dead since 2005. I agree it would be nice to see a front page that was constantly updated, maybe with people's demos uploaded so we wouldn't have to start new topics for all of our demos/games. I'm totally up for an improved front page, no matter how it comes about.

That's the thing; if I can get people interested in posting "Community digest" messages (updates on the state of things), I'll be glad to start up a frontpage for nindev.rustedlogic.net. More than glad to; I already have a system I use myself for things.


Quote:
And you're right about the wasting time part that's annoying. Though you can usually tell if something's spam. If you see one spam post from a member, you can be sure that all posts by them are spam.

But, most spammers only post 1-2 messages. There are new accounts all the time; for example, this user just posted 2 messages today. It's always somebody new, so trying to remember who the spambots are is futile.


Quote:
Oh, and the funny thing is, I was messing around with NESDev trying to figure out basic stuff for about 6 months. I was well aware of the front page, but I had no idea this forum existed until I randomly ran into it!
That's what I mean -- I would've never noticed if I hadn't been linked here by somebody else because I never knew about it. There's literally nothing but "P.S., the forums are open" on the front page.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:38 pm
Posts: 2303
Location: Fukuoka, Japan
Xkeeper wrote:
Well, I finally got a bit tired of it: NinDev.

And unlike here, there will actually be somebody paying attention to the place. (Hate to be a jerk, but seriously, it feels like nothing ever gets done here.)

I'm willing to do whatever it takes to accomodate the community here, though. The good news is that the other two forums I'm running off of this code have had no spambots whatsoever.

Oh, one nice plus over phpBBs: Threads don't all instantly mark themselves read if you leave the board for more than 15 minutes.

(Oh, right -- if you guys have any ideas for other forums, let me know so I can add them asap)


I see that your intention are good but if we do this, we may split the current community.

Basically what you're saying is the current administration doesn't do it job or doesn't have the proper rights to do it. Isn't it the time to add more fresh admins that would update the main page and take care of the message board to fix the spam issue?

Can we find a way to add people to do the job and add all the interesting ideas that you propose or right now nobody is listening? If this is the case then we would have no choice to move somewhere else.

By the way, does the content of this message board can be imported to the bbs you're using?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:35 pm
Posts: 4191
Acmlmboard is completely custom software, there's no off-the-shelf importer for PHPBB.

_________________
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:35 am
Posts: 85
Dwedit wrote:
Acmlmboard is completely custom software, there's no off-the-shelf importer for PHPBB.
I could likely write one, but it wouldn't occur without some loss of data. Probably nothing major, but definitely some.

And yheah, it's completely custom; that's one big reason it's entirely spambot-proof (none of them work with it), among others.

Quote:
I see that your intention are good but if we do this, we may split the current community.

Basically what you're saying is the current administration doesn't do it job or doesn't have the proper rights to do it. Isn't it the time to add more fresh admins that would update the main page and take care of the message board to fix the spam issue?

This issue has been here for a long time. I swear I've brought it up before, and even then Memblers seems to show up about once a year.

Even then, what little action is taken here seems to be wholly inefficient.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:35 pm
Posts: 4191
I see you're using the invisible textbox trick. I use it too, but not with the IP banning part yet. Works quite well at stopping most bots. But when the spambots that parse CSS come around, watch out for the zombie flood.

_________________
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:49 pm
Posts: 7720
Location: Chexbres, VD, Switzerland
Quote:
Between spam and jargon, I'm about ready to find a new NES development forum.

Agreed.
Quote:
Nothing here is getting done; the administrator shows up once in a great while, spambots are taking over the forum, the place is falling apart.

Well, it's true that since Quietust and Koetsu are gone, the Nesdev communauty has seriously decayed. Memblers is still here but is really not that much active, likely he's busy with something else in real life and we can't blame him for that.

About moving to a new forum, why not (we have already moved to this forum from another several years ago right after I came into NESdev), but will this really fix problems or will it add more problems ? If administrators and moderators are more active, will that incitate people to release more games or demoes for the NES ?

_________________
Life is complex: it has both real and imaginary components.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:11 am
Posts: 377
Location: Karlshamn (Sweden)
No offense but if we were to move I'd liked it to be hosted by someone who's been here for a while that I know can trust, again no offense.

Also just because acmlmboard (or what ever the software is called) is custom written doesn't make it secure. Just doing a google for acmlmboard proves my point 3rd result: "AcmlmBoard 1.A2 (pow) Remote SQL Injection Vulnerability".
I also tried visiting acmlm just for fun and received one 404 and one fatal error in a php script..

edit:
!! internet drama ahoy !!

now I also found this.. old but still
http://board.acmlm.org/thread.php?id=4911&o=0&p=20 wrote:
[small snippet]
When I wake up, I almost literally find the board in complete ruins; I can't even believe that I wasn't still dreaming. I'm told a summary of events, and we suppose there's no choice but to continue Acmlm's Board from here. We had reverted the board to the latest backup, from a few days before, obviously keeping Xkeeper banned. Acmlmboard is infamous for being a huge security hole (it was only lucky it hadn't had too many serious take-downs in its past), and Xkeeper likely knows many nooks and crannies of the damn thing.


Quote:
[more drama]
Sometime in July or August 2007, blackhole decided to start coding on the board. Bad idea. Xkeeper throws a shit-fest over there, much the same he did here, attempts to destroy it, and splits off yet another splinter-community board (named “Justus League 2”, or “JUL” for short)


yeah this sounds like a great idea..

Please correct me if any of this is wrong.. I've never been to acmlmboard before and never really heard of you either before, so I might have had this all wrong?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:35 am
Posts: 85
dXtr wrote:
No offense but if we were to move I'd liked it to be hosted by someone who's been here for a while that I know can trust, again no offense.

It's going to be co-run by BMF54123, who has been a NES ROM hacker for more than 7 years and has been a member of this forum for about two. I'm just doing the technical upkeep side of things.


Quote:
Also just because acmlmboard (or what ever the software is called) is custom written doesn't make it secure. Just doing a google for acmlmboard proves my point 3rd result: "AcmlmBoard 1.A2 (pow) Remote SQL Injection Vulnerability".
I also tried visiting acmlm just for fun and received one 404 and one fatal error in a php script..

That isn't even an Acmlmboard; it's a clone coded by somebody else that is in a gravely incomplete state. "acmlm.org" has nothing to do with Acmlm at all; the domain is registered to somebody else and he refuses to give it to Acmlm.

By the way, that vulnerability? Yeah, that's for a version of the board five years old. I've been fixing these vulnerabilites left and right, and I even have my own pet hacker (who loathes me) to constantly try exploits that I patch within a day or two as soon as I find it.


Quote:
edit:
!! internet drama ahoy !!

now I also found this.. old but still
http://board.acmlm.org/thread.php?id=4911&o=0&p=20 wrote:
[small snippet]
When I wake up, I almost literally find the board in complete ruins; I can't even believe that I wasn't still dreaming. I'm told a summary of events, and we suppose there's no choice but to continue Acmlm's Board from here. We had reverted the board to the latest backup, from a few days before, obviously keeping Xkeeper banned. Acmlmboard is infamous for being a huge security hole (it was only lucky it hadn't had too many serious take-downs in its past), and Xkeeper likely knows many nooks and crannies of the damn thing.


Quote:
[more drama]
Sometime in July or August 2007, blackhole decided to start coding on the board. Bad idea. Xkeeper throws a shit-fest over there, much the same he did here, attempts to destroy it, and splits off yet another splinter-community board (named “Justus League 2”, or “JUL” for short)


yeah this sounds like a great idea..

Actually, the reason for the splits are not being told correctly. By the way, fun fact: The users on that forum loathe me. Many other people detested them, I banned them from the board, and that's where they're all at now. Reading anything there comes with inherant bias, so learn that now.

Regardless, the reason for the splits, in order:
- The server admin on board.acmlm.org gave somebody else root access without telling me, who proceeded to "fix" bugs that didn't need fixing, breaking a ton of shit in the process
- blackhole89 disagreed with my style of administration, so instead of talking to me about it directly decided to stage a hostile takeover, aided by a former admin from 2002 (this happening in 2007, and he promptly left afterwards) and a few others. The fact that most of the community left with me to Jul should indicate something.


Quote:
Please correct me if any of this is wrong.. I've never been to acmlmboard before and never really heard of you either before, so I might have had this all wrong?
I've answered all of your points. All I can say is that you are finding pretty much the most incorrect information on the internet. If you have any other questions, direct them to me.


Last edited by Xkeeper on Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:52 am
Posts: 407
Oh, boy, here we go.

First: 1.A2 is an old, incomplete clone of the original code (the latest, most secure version is currently in use on Jul; disregard the date). Those security holes do not exist in the version Jul is running.

Second: I was there for every one of those drama storms, and suggest you take anything that board has to say with a grain of salt. It was far more complex than "Xkeeper threw a fit and blew up the board." The only people that post on that board anymore are the ones who were repeatedly banned for spamming and disruptive behavior (as a quick visit here proves), so obviously their view of past events is going to be a bit tainted.

[edit]
What Xkeeper said. :P

_________________
- BMF
RuSteD LOgIc


Last edited by BMF54123 on Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:52 pm
Posts: 393
Location: UT
Regardless, I am more swayed by this argument.
dXtr wrote:
No offense but if we were to move I'd liked it to be hosted by someone who's been here for a while that I know can trust, again no offense.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:35 am
Posts: 85
loopy wrote:
Regardless, I am more swayed by this argument.
dXtr wrote:
No offense but if we were to move I'd liked it to be hosted by someone who's been here for a while that I know can trust, again no offense.


Xkeeper wrote:
dXtr wrote:
No offense but if we were to move I'd liked it to be hosted by someone who's been here for a while that I know can trust, again no offense.

It's going to be co-run by BMF54123, who has been a NES ROM hacker for more than 7 years and has been a member of this forum for about two. I'm just doing the technical upkeep side of things.


I myself have been ROM hacking on and off for several years (first started in 2001, even), but not quite a member of this community. As I've already said, BMF has full access to this site in its entirety.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:15 pm
Posts: 399
Huh.

Well, I'm thinking what Banshaku said is the best thing. Memblers is obviously really busy, because he rarely comes online that often. To me, it would seem a better idea to see if he is comfortable enough to share FTP privileges with someone to the main site, and allow them to make updates to it, fix broken links, etc., as well as fix up the boards to guard against spambots.

Picking up and moving to an entirely different place just seems like a bad idea to me. There is so much info here, it's crazy!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:11 am
Posts: 377
Location: Karlshamn (Sweden)
XKeeper >
If what you say is true (and I have no reason to doubt) I'm sorry for sounding like I accused you for something.
I just got a bit surprised when the only I found on the first search result page was that kind of posts.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:35 am
Posts: 85
dXtr wrote:
XKeeper >
If what you say is true (and I have no reason to doubt) I'm sorry for sounding like I accused you for something.
I just got a bit surprised when the only I found on the first search result page was that kind of posts.
That's usually what happens with niche communities. :|

Also, re: multiple users updating the front site: I'm not sure Parodius's hosting services even allow that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:30 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:04 am
Posts: 3697
Location: Indianapolis
Xkeeper, I appreciate your solution to the problem. If phpBB is broken, there's no reason we should stuck with it. I've added a few mods and patches to it before, and usually that involved editing a lot of files manually and was generally a pain. I'd be glad to see it go, but I can't imagine that everyone really wants to move now.

We were using a different forum software for a long time. Hell, we had anonymous posts enabled for years without any notable problem. It was all nice and open, I think many people posted who wouldn't have otherwise, and the forum grew.

The main complaint with the old forum, was that no one could edit posts. So we moved to phpBB, the older forum is frozen but still up for reference. First post was 10/12/00, almost 8 years ago.
http://nesdev.com/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/showpost.pl?Board=nesdev&Number=1&page=43&view=collapsed&sb=5

If there's anyone who really wants to become a spam control expert for the site, by editing the forum software, just say so. If I can't get you ftp access, I could supply the needed files.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group