Advertising commercial NES projects

Found an issue with the phpBB system here at NESdev? Use this forum to report problems.

Moderator: Moderators

Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

[Split from here]

Commercial advertisements are not allowed on parodius.
Moderators should lock this thread and remove all commercial ads in it please, including the original video which was a commercial all along and tricked us into thinking it was NES-related.
Useless, lumbering half-wits don't scare us.
Xkeeper

Post by Xkeeper »

Bregalad wrote:Commercial advertisements are not allowed on parodius.
Moderators should lock this thread and remove all commercial ads in it please, including the original video which was a commercial all along and tricked us into thinking it was NES-related.
Then wouldn't this have to go? Not that I'm complaining or anything, since that's even more of a blatant advertisement than this thread.
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

No offense....but it seems like you're just bugged out he wont distribute it freely.
UncleSporky

Post by UncleSporky »

Xkeeper wrote:
Then wouldn't this have to go? Not that I'm complaining or anything, since that's even more of a blatant advertisement than this thread.
And even that is not an advertisement per se. It's an achievement post; look what he accomplished, that's pretty cool, he posted it because some people were interested in news on how his game was going. He didn't say "*NEW* FOR SALE BRAND NEW NES GAME NEVER BEFORE SEEN ONLY $29.99 MAKES GREAT GIFTS FOR THE WIFE AND KIDS. ORDER NOW AND GET IT AUTOGRAPHED!"

This thread is even less of that.

We can get really, really picky with the rules too, but I don't think anyone wants to go there. No pirated software? There goes all source code discussion. Somebody could compile the SMB disassembly and play it illegally.

Bregalad you are generally a cool and helpful dude and I don't want to make you mad at me, because there are not a lot of regulars here and you guys are all very smart. But I don't think we should be calling for someone's posts to be removed because they are showing off a game they're working on. :?
tepples

Post by tepples »

Xkeeper wrote:
Then wouldn't this have to go?
As would any announcement that the PowerPak is back in stock.
Xkeeper

Post by Xkeeper »

tepples wrote:
Xkeeper wrote:
Then wouldn't this have to go?
As would any announcement that the PowerPak is back in stock.
I'm not sure that would fall under it... especially when you consider that the PowerPak is a very useful tool for development on the NES, whereas a commercial game, uh, isn't.
Celius

Post by Celius »

Information about a new homebrew NES game should be okay because it's relevant to this site, being NESdev and all. Also, it's really helpful to know when PowerPak is in stock. We should be able to talk about/show off new games we're making, because we all came here to make games and have other people play them. Probably no one will know about them unless we show them off here. So I think we should all just calm down and eat some fruit or something*.

*Quote from Mel Gibson in Signs.
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

Anyway lets not stray too far from the toopic. Otherwise the thread wil get closed.

Anyway Siv I have some ideas for the game. But it looks great so far.
Lord Nightmare

Post by Lord Nightmare »

Everyone, please don't be asses. Sivak is nice enough to share wip of games he later sells, and no they are not advertisements for games for sale (only information about games that MIGHT be available in the future).

LN
"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

It's true that it is kind of annoying to see it if you can't play it, but that's nothing new. How about Grand Theftendo, Neotoxin, maybe Time Conquest, if anyone remembers that one. Those, and certainly most NES homebrew projects have something in common - they never get finished and released properly. If releasing it on cart helps it get completed, then great.

When I took a reserve list for Garage Cart #1, I don't think I even mentioned it here. I knew noone here was making money doing NES development, so who'd have $35 to spend on that rather than any kind of dev tool? It turned out to be a really good deal for the original buyers, but that's besides the point.

Definitely it's not an ad, it's not for sale, it's not even done yet. It's certainly interesting though.
Sivak

Post by Sivak »

Er, wow. Okay, I'll just say a few things:

#1 - Yes, I do intend to put any and all games I make on real carts and actually sell them. This game is no exception. But in reality, I don't expect to make lots of money off this. Any little cash I can make is certainly nice.

#2 - This is hardly a commercial or ad. It just showed some stuff in the game. I want people to know what's being developed. There's a long way to go before the end of this.

#3 - I do very much hope to finish this. I don't have any reason not to.

#4 - The most important news: Progress continues! I'll be making a first boss battle soon.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Well, it's not because something is not yet in sale that this is not an ad. Anyway if you guys consider it isn't one, then fine.
For some reason I missed that one (maybe because of the thread's name), but if I read it back then I would probably have complained as well.

And yes it's really annoying to see people make money on what I take hours to do for free. And yes there is many unfinished projects but I can't complain as I haven't finished any of mines yet.
BMF54123

Post by BMF54123 »

Bregalad wrote:And yes it's really annoying to see people make money on what I take hours to do for free.
Nobody's forcing you to make games for free, you know.

(uh oh, my topic split senses are tingling)
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Well, I have been wanting to code video game since I'm 10 so yeah. And since I code video games I'd like someone to play them (else what's the point) so I make them for free.
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

Ok so do......And let sivak do his own thing. You cant always have what you want.