It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:52 pm 

would anyone know if its possible to make the forum message window larger ? my lcd is 1920 x 1200 and having to write a post in this tiny window seems silly while the remaining screen is unused.

maybe that wouldnt work for everyone; like if the window was not maximised or if i was on my laptop which is a tiny 1024 x 768.

i suppose if it could be done it would use that java stuff. ( i have no intension of enabling that, its only used for adds and pop up windows)

matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:10 pm 

Heh, and here I thought the purpose of a larger screen was to be able to have more open windows and tasks on screen at once. I usually write posts in a text editor, where I can save periodically rather than losing everything due to a browser refresh. As a bonus I get 6502/C syntax highlighting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:20 am 

The text input window size is defined by the web board's PHP code, which outputs the following HTML for the input:

Code:
<textarea name="message" rows="15" cols="35" wrap="virtual" style="width:450px" tabindex="3" class="post" onselect="storeCaret(this);" onclick="storeCaret(this);" onkeyup="storeCaret(this);"></textarea>

Note the style="width:450px" CSS there. The text input window is therefore 450px wide. It doesn't shrink or grow based on window resize either.

I do find it interesting that there's both a cols textarea attribute, and a CSS width attribute. I think the CSS attribute overrides, but I'm not sure. I'm damn certain the message input window is not limited to 35 characters. :-)

This could be changed, of course.

And no, it would not "require Java stuff". I don't know what gives you that impression. I find it a little weird that someone on a highly technical forum would talk about the size of HTML textarea sections as requiring Java. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:41 am 

A lot of people still confuse JavaScript (ECMAScript manipulating the HTML and CSS DOM) with "Java stuff" (a virtual machine maintained by Sun). And a "highly technical forum" can still have people who are experts in 6502 asm but novices in web development.