It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:41 am 

I'd like to see a new forum under NES / Famicom for Personal Projects. This would be a place for people to create threads devoted to their personal homebrew games, utilities or other projects. You'd post screenshots, YouTube links, progress updates and the like.

I like to follow other peoples' projects, but they tend to get lost in the mix in the main NESdev forum. Having them all in one place would make it easy to see what everyone is working on, and it could be another way to attract non-programmers to the forums (artists, musicians and fans). I know on the RHDN forums there are many people who don't rom hack, yet follow the projects forum because they just love games and want to talk about and play the (in RHDN's case) hacks. I think we could attract a similar type of audience for homebrews if we had a place that said "look - here's what people are working on" and invited them to join the discussion and offer feedback.

It would also clear up some clutter in the main NESdev forum. Programming and technical discussions in the NESdev forum. Show off your projects in the Personal Projects forum.

Compared to two years ago it feels to me like more and more people are getting into nesdev and starting game projects. New games are getting released on cart, the wiki is filling up with more programming articles and I'm seeing more and more NESdev-related videos showing up in my "suggested videos" sidebar on YouTube. I think it's time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:03 am 

This sounds like a great idea to me! There is the wiki but it doesn't give you that immediate feedback that somebody just made an update, for example.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:13 am 

I vote for this as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:19 am 

I suggested something similar some time ago here and here but it didn't generate any discussion.

Reminds me of another thing: the front page really could use a facelift. Not volunteering to do it though. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:36 am 

I agree. This will sure make this place more interesting for the rest of the internet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:44 am 

I think it's a good idea, roughly paralleling the "DS homebrew announcements" over on forum.gbadev.org.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:58 am 

I like this idea too. I thought that Atariage had a similar forum area, but I was mistaken. Nintendoage has something for homebrew discussion, but it has lots of other non-homebrew material in it (like how to clone a commercial ROM....)

"Forum -> The Brewery"
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/catego ... entercat=y

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:42 am 

clueless wrote:
I thought that Atariage had a similar forum area, but I was mistaken.

They do have a Homebrew Discussion area. It is used for all kinds of systems though, not only Atari ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:46 am 

Wow. I only looked under the "2600" forum header. I only signed up there a few days ago and have not spent much time looking around. Thanks for the info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:46 pm 

Well personally I'd rather keep the surprise about my projects as much as possible, and see people impressed when I eventually release it freely for the public.

If I really make videos and such, nobody will be impressed on the release. However it's a personal choice.

Also, I didn't release any project yet, and my biggest project's is fairly advanced but is going on slower and slower, if you ever studied an asymptotic function in mathematics, then you know what I'm talking about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:56 pm 

Bregalad wrote:
Well personally I'd rather keep the surprise about my projects as much as possible, and see people impressed when I eventually release it freely for the public.

If I really make videos and such, nobody will be impressed on the release. However it's a personal choice.

Also, I didn't release any project yet, and my biggest project's is fairly advanced but is going on slower and slower, if you ever studied an asymptotic function in mathematics, then you know what I'm talking about.

Are you in favor of, or opposed to, the creation of the requested forum topic?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:59 pm 

I would not post about my current project in the forum, (MAYBE future ones) but I would love to see what everyone else is working on.

Part of me likes the idea of coming out of nowhere and saying, "Here's a finished game.", but most people aren't like me, and they should have a place to show their progress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:38 pm 

Kasumi wrote:
I would not post about my current project in the forum, (MAYBE future ones) but I would love to see what everyone else is working on.

Part of me likes the idea of coming out of nowhere and saying, "Here's a finished game.", but most people aren't like me, and they should have a place to show their progress.

I know. I face the same dilemma. I'm itching with excitement over my current project. I'm debating if I want to enter it into the coding compo, or spend a bit more time polishing it and possibly attempt to sell it through retrousb.

I so very much want to "spill the beans" and post screen-shots and recruit a few private beta-testers... But I keep holding back as I'm unsure if doing so will spoil the compo (if it is even going to happen) or jeopardize my opportunity to sell through retorusb (and those options seem mutually exclusive anyway).

It is very exciting to keep my project a secret until the "very end", but I wonder if doing so will hurt my opportunity to make it the best that it could be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:38 am 

clueless wrote:
But I keep holding back as I'm unsure if doing so will spoil the compo (if it is even going to happen) or jeopardize my opportunity to sell through retorusb (and those options seem mutually exclusive anyway).

Sivak posted videos of Battle Kid and gave copies of parts of the game to beta testers before selling copies through retrousb. We had a topic about beta test security several months back.

EDIT: quoted the part to which I was replying

Last edited by tepples on Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:24 pm 

Quote:
Sivak posted videos of Battle Kid and gave copies of parts of the game to beta testers before selling copies through retrousb. We had a topic about beta test security several months back.

Why are you saying that ? It doesn't answer any of the pots in the topic apparently.
Quote:
Are you in favor of, or opposed to, the creation of the requested forum topic?

Neither ! If it is created I probably won't use it as I'd rather keep the surprise and that's all. I won't be pissed or anything if it is created though.