QUOTE buttons in reply page

Found an issue with the phpBB system here at NESdev? Use this forum to report problems.

Moderator: Moderators

tokumaru

QUOTE buttons in reply page

Post by tokumaru »

The messages displayed in the topic review area all have QUOTE buttons, but they don't do anything (their href attribute is "#").
lidnariq

Re: QUOTE buttons in reply page

Post by lidnariq »

They require javascript. Select the text you want to quote with the mouse, and click the button.

For example, I can quote you like:
tokumaru wrote:they don't do anything
tokumaru wrote:but
tokumaru wrote:display
tokumaru wrote:messages
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

Time to change the caption text on the button to read "quote selected text"?
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
blargg

Post by blargg »

It quotes the entire post if nothing is selected. The problem is that it gives no indication that it requires Javascript, even though the same button in normal thread view works fine without Javascript.
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

Browsing/using the web without Javascript = hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

That's all I have to say on the matter.
blargg

Post by blargg »

What about browsing with Noscript on a site that almost all works, and not realizing that there was one obscure feature that needed Javascript?
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

I always have JavaScript on, but at first I was opening the links in a new tab, and in that case, obviously nothing happened. Then I tried randomly clicking the quote buttons, but didn't bother checking the text box at the top, so I was under the impression that nothing happened. I have to admit this is not very intuitive.
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

tokumaru wrote:I always have JavaScript on, but at first I was opening the links in a new tab, and in that case, obviously nothing happened. Then I tried randomly clicking the quote buttons, but didn't bother checking the text box at the top, so I was under the impression that nothing happened. I have to admit this is not very intuitive.
testing... it worked. :)
blargg

Post by blargg »

tokumaru wrote:I always have JavaScript on, but at first I was opening the links in a new tab, and in that case, obviously nothing happened.
Ahhh, because you thought it would act like normal quote buttons, starting a new reply with all the text quoted, which you were then going to copy from the new tab, then close it and paste into your post-in-progress.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

blargg wrote:Ahhh, because you thought it would act like normal quote buttons, starting a new reply with all the text quoted, which you were then going to copy from the new tab, then close it and paste into your post-in-progress.
Hehe exactly! =)