login captcha not working

Found an issue with the phpBB system here at NESdev? Use this forum to report problems.

Moderator: Moderators

FrankWDoom

login captcha not working

Post by FrankWDoom »

so I'm trying to log myself in on another computer. I managed to lock myself out of my account. I have the password but now when try to log in i get:

first try, enter username and password
get error message "You exceeded the maximum allowed number of login attempts. In addition to your username and password you now also have to solve the CAPTCHA below." captcha box appears.

second try, enter username, password, and captcha answer
get same error message, captcha box disappears
koitsu

Re: login captcha not working

Post by koitsu »

Quite possibly it's a bug in phpBB's authentication model/bits, and may end up using cookies temporarily to store the answer to the captcha (for validation) but the password you enter is still incorrect. I don't see anything in phpBB 3.0.11's changelog (we run 3.0.10 right now) that indicates anything was fixed relating to any of those things.

I can assure you 100% the captcha questions/answers/model works just fine.

Since the time your account was created, you've posted from 5 different IP addresses. The last time you changed your password was in August 2012 (although this was also when the board was migrated to a new server, so that may not be entirely accurate).

The best I can do is to force an account reactivation, which requires you to check your Email and visit a link provided there + set a new password. Alternately I can set your password to something temporarily so you can fix all this yourself, or update your Email address for you + force a reactivation. Let me know, either here or via a PM.
FrankWDoom

Re: login captcha not working

Post by FrankWDoom »

I got back in. When I sent the request for a new password last time I think I overlooked the part about activating it. So I was trying to log in with a bad password, but I wasn't getting a message to that effect- only the one about the captcha.