server migration schedule and status

Report broken links, improper HTML, or formatting issues here.

Moderator: Moderators

WhoaMan

server migration schedule and status

Post by WhoaMan »

With 2/3rds of the server being on my desk at work and the other third arriving tomorrow (Wednesday), I figure it is a good time to let everyone know what will be happening

08/31 - Hardware testing / burn-in
09/01 - initial configuration
09/02 - install server in rack alongside current server. forums and wiki will stay up and running on current server but hosted sites (such as Blargg's Home) may be down at times during the weekend
09/03-04 - the forums and wiki will be cloned over and tested. once tested, the old server will be locked and traffic transferred to the new server
09/05 - old server will be powered down and removed from the ISP

I will try and keep everyone updated during migration over the weekend
i dont have much to say
WhoaMan

Re: server migration schedule and status

Post by WhoaMan »

one of the server's two IP addresses have been disable in preparation for the new server going in the rack. I am heading to the ISP in a few minutes :)
i dont have much to say
WhoaMan

Post by WhoaMan »

server migration has been delayed until Wednesday... the ISP has been moving their support staff to a different location and the network admin is on vacation until then. :|

it was nice of them to update us on these changes... oi
i dont have much to say
WhoaMan

Post by WhoaMan »

We were able to get the new server in the rack :) migration to soon follow
i dont have much to say
WhoaMan

Post by WhoaMan »

Nesdev.com will be down for a while tonight starting around midnight MST for server migration.
i dont have much to say
WhoaMan

Post by WhoaMan »

forums are now back up, as is the nesdev.com index. currently working on the wiki
i dont have much to say
WhoaMan

Post by WhoaMan »

the wiki should now be good to go as well
i dont have much to say
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

The speed difference, even with HTTPS/SSL negotiation, is tremendous (on both forum and wiki). Woot.

However, the DH params for SSL need to be regenerated and higher security applied:

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze ... Results=on

"This server supports weak Diffie-Hellman (DH) key exchange parameters. Grade capped to B." Details:

* https://weakdh.org/
* https://weakdh.org/sysadmin.html

Assuming nginx (I checked the Server HTTP header):

Code: Select all

This can take a while on some systems (depends on CPU, etc.) so be patient:

openssl dhparam -out /etc/nginx/dhparam.pem 2048

nginx.conf (or whatever):

ssl_protocols TLSv1 TLSv1.1 TLSv1.2;
ssl_ciphers 'EECDH+AESGCM:EDH+AESGCM:AES256+EECDH:AES256+EDH';
ssl_prefer_server_ciphers on;
ssl_dhparam /etc/nginx/dhparam.pem;
The ciphers list I provided here differs from what you might see on the weakdh.org site. The list I provided comes directly from https://raymii.org/s/tutorials/Strong_S ... nginx.html for present-day nginx (I don't know what version you're using).

Hope this helps!
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

Since the migration I have to enter a captcha on every login. I like nes trivia but is there a reason behind it? Ssl migration? Cookie leftover?
mic_

Post by mic_ »

Since the migration I have to enter a captcha on every login
Same here. It doesn't help that the answers seem to be case sensitive, or that it isn't apparent how one should formulate the answer even if one knows the answer (is our princess "in another castle", or in "another castle"?).
tepples

Post by tepples »

I disagree with requiring a CAPTCHA on the first login attempt, not just sign-up or after multiple failures. This also means that the number of computers through which I participate will dwindle as their persistent cookies expire.

I can't even see whether I have the power to turn it off because when I try to log in to the Administration Control Panel on my first attempt to log in in the past 20 hours, I get "You exceeded the maximum allowed number of login attempts. In addition to your username and password you now also have to solve the CAPTCHA below." I will treat this failure as a demotion of my privileges here from administrator to global moderator for the period starting now and presumably ending when WhoaMan explains the reason for this policy change.
WhoaMan

Post by WhoaMan »

tepples wrote: I can't even see whether I have the power to turn it off because when I try to log in to the Administration Control Panel on my first attempt to log in in the past 20 hours, I get "You exceeded the maximum allowed number of login attempts. In addition to your username and password you now also have to solve the CAPTCHA below." I will treat this failure as a demotion of my privileges here from administrator to global moderator for the period starting now and presumably ending when WhoaMan explains the reason for this policy change.
None of the privileges have changed, seems to be a bug with the migration. I will look in to it and try to figure out what is happening.
i dont have much to say
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

WhoaMan wrote: None of the privileges have changed, seems to be a bug with the migration. I will look in to it and try to figure out what is happening.
Well good to know that it's know some kind of nes trivia bullying :lol:
WhoaMan

Post by WhoaMan »

it has to do with the proxy using the server's IP address so it appears as all users are logging in with the same IP
i dont have much to say
zzo38

Post by zzo38 »

I disagree with HTTPS-only
(Free Hero Mesh - FOSS puzzle game engine)