Issue with "Mark forums read"

Report broken links, improper HTML, or formatting issues here.

Moderator: Moderators

DevEd

Issue with "Mark forums read"

Post by DevEd »

Just a minor issue with the "Mark forums read" feature: It only works until the next time you log in. I click the "Mark forums read" button, and it works fine. But when I come back the next day, all the forum icons are unread again. This even happens if there have been no new posts in those forums, which can get rather annoying. I would like to see this fixed, if possible.
You know, the DevSound guy.

There are two kinds of people in this world: those who are convinced there are two kinds of people in this world, and those who aren't. - Unknown
koitsu

Re: Issue with "Mark forums read"

Post by koitsu »

Please read all of what I've written before taking any action.

Can you do us a favour and go through the phpBB changelogs / release notes to see if this is an actual bug that has been fixed? This would save me a lot of time. The forum presently runs phpBB 3.0.10. The latest available is 3.0.13-PL1. It would also be worthwhile googling to see if others have had the problem (you could also google for "Mark topics read" -- the overall functionality is the same).

Otherwise, if this is similar to past bugs that have been reported (not this specific one, but others which are very similar in nature), the issue boils down to oddities with cookies or server-side sessions (we don't know which). The logging in/logging out situation -- ESPECIALLY if logging in from a different device, a different browser, or a different IP address -- would explain how/why this is happening.
thefox

Re: Issue with "Mark forums read"

Post by thefox »

koitsu wrote:Otherwise, if this is similar to past bugs that have been reported (not this specific one, but others which are very similar in nature)
For the record, this problem hasn't happened for me in a long time now.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi