The absolute worst technical doccument on this website

Report broken links, improper HTML, or formatting issues here.

Moderator: Moderators

Bregalad

The absolute worst technical doccument on this website

Post by Bregalad »

http://nesdev.com/mapper6.txt

I remember 12 years ago (already !) when I was a high-scool teenager trying to get into development and I barely spoke the *very basics* of the english language, and trying to make sense of the documents on this site. It was very hard at the beginning, but I realize it was also because some of the documents sucked. This one in particular still makes absolutely zero sense to me, even though I am now fluent in English and I am used to reading technical documentation in English everyday.
Last edited by Bregalad on Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
tepples

Re: The absolute worst technical doccument on this website

Post by tepples »

I don't think FanWen Yang was especially fluent in English either.

Fortunately, you can ignore iNES mapper 6 and most of the rest of Front Fareast's mappers. As far as I'm aware, all the games for them are mapper hacks of cart games.
koitsu

Re: The absolute worst technical doccument on this website

Post by koitsu »

FanWen happened to be one of the original pioneers of first-generation mapper documents. I used to talk to him regularly. He was from Taiwan (Mandarin was his primary tongue, English secondary).

I think it's good to have that document around solely for archival purposes. It may not be "useful" in comparison to what is currently available (formatting, explanations, etc.) but it's a piece of history.

Welcome to one of the reasons I did both my SNES and NES docs -- because there was a lot of "blah" in existing documentation, where nothing was very clear (or was formatted very badly).