HTTPS is broken

Report broken links, improper HTML, or formatting issues here.

Moderator: Moderators

koitsu

Re: HTTPS is broken

Post by koitsu »

tepples wrote:I've added a private custom profile field "Redirect to HTTPS" of type Boolean. How easy would it be to wire up automatic redirection if and only if this is checked?
What on earth are people trying to solve here? I really don't get it.

If the problem is with all the sites being forcably redirected from HTTP to HTTPS, then yes, I maintain that was a very bad choice (yes I was aware of it after the server upgrade, but obviously did not test everything -- I figured it was done for the forum and only the forum); I get the impression that was being done in nginx. There are an extremely large number of caveats/problems created by HTTP-to-HTTPS redirection, many of which aren't noticed until after-the-fact (these threads are proof).

"Migrating" from HTTP to HTTPS is something that can happen on a per-site basis, but as I've stated in the past, I disagree heavily with the "HTTPS everywhere" mentality.

The sites should've remained as they were originally -- HTTP -- and HTTPS added later so that it could be tested (and quirks/kinks/changes be worked out in advance for a full migration if needed/wanted).

What exactly are we trying to solve with moving all the sites to HTTPS? Are people *that* concerned about their forum and wiki credentials being compromised by mysterious intermediary forces? Because I'm completely sure that shady ISPs and compromised backbone providers are collecting all the L/Ps as to destroy everything related to nesdev. *blinks repeatedly*
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Post by JRoatch »

koitsu wrote:What exactly are we trying to solve with moving all the sites to HTTPS? Are people *that* concerned about their forum and wiki credentials being compromised by mysterious intermediary forces? Because I'm completely sure that shady ISPs and compromised backbone providers are collecting all the L/Ps as to destroy everything related to nesdev. *blinks repeatedly*
I'm sorry that I asked.
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

JRoatch wrote:
koitsu wrote:What exactly are we trying to solve with moving all the sites to HTTPS? Are people *that* concerned about their forum and wiki credentials being compromised by mysterious intermediary forces? Because I'm completely sure that shady ISPs and compromised backbone providers are collecting all the L/Ps as to destroy everything related to nesdev. *blinks repeatedly*
I'm sorry that I asked.
This was more a stern but friendly jab towards whoever decided to move everything over to HTTPS as part of the server migration (not sure if that was WhoaMan or tepples or who), not so much you. :-)

Migrating from HTTP to HTTPS should've been a separate thing done much later (after thorough discussion, esp. considering all the caveats and complications as a result -- it's not as easy as sticking everything under HTTPS and then HTTP 302ing to HTTPS).

In general though, I really beg people to be practical about HTTPS usage -- there are more downsides to it (IMO) than upsides. SSL truly isn't needed most of the time. What most end users are concerned with that justify SSL are 1) banking transactions, 2) PII (personally identifiable information), 3) L/Ps for sites they consider extremely important, and 4) "general information" that needs to be obscured in some way given plaintext transport (i.e. even using something like XOR "encryption" would be sufficient). #3 is tricky because the importance level varies per person.
tepples

Post by tepples »

koitsu wrote:In general though, I really beg people to be practical about HTTPS usage -- there are more downsides to it (IMO) than upsides. SSL truly isn't needed most of the time. What most end users are concerned with that justify SSL are 1) banking transactions, 2) PII (personally identifiable information), 3) L/Ps for sites they consider extremely important, and 4) "general information" that needs to be obscured in some way given plaintext transport (i.e. even using something like XOR "encryption" would be sufficient). #3 is tricky because the importance level varies per person.
For example, #3 might be more important to a user with moderator level or greater access to a system. For example, a site might force HTTPS for its Administrator Control Panel.

With the growing prevalence of ad blocking, I expect more sites to offer subscriptions. A site that debits the user's account for each article that the user views turns each page view into the equivalent of a "banking transaction[]". And a site that offers a monthly or annual subscription is likely to have terms of service that ban sharing credentials or a session with a nonsubscriber. Such a site would use HTTPS to prevent inadvertent sharing with others on the same Wi-Fi.

And sometimes the confidentiality aspect of TLS isn't as important as the integrity aspect. Sometimes you want to ensure that nobody has modified a piece of information on its way to you, such as to insert advertisements containing malicious scripts into a web page or to replace the executable that you are attempting to obtain with a trojan. For something like software downloads, would you prefer code signing to tamper-evident transport?

This is also why there are proposals to limit the Fullscreen API to a secure context, so that a site can't phish your banking credentials or PII by simulating the operating system and browser chrome and making you think you're on a site that you're not on.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

koitsu wrote:What most end users are concerned with that justify SSL are...
I prefer that sites that offer binary executables for download use HTTPS, so that I know I'm getting the file I expect. (I think there's at least a few of these on the forum.)
koitsu wrote:Because I'm completely sure that shady ISPs and compromised backbone providers are collecting all the L/Ps as to destroy everything related to nesdev.
I imagine that most MITM attacks are not targeted to a specific site, but are trying to capture anything that looks like a login in an automated way, replace exectuables, etc. It's also relatively easy to set up compromised "free wifi" in public places. So... IMO a "shady ISP" is a real and present danger, and the obscurity of NESDev is no protection against threat.

The biggest problem isn't really that someone stealing an NESDev login can use it to access NESDev.com, the problem is that it's a certainty that tons of NESDev users are using shared passwords. The point of Google's SEO demotion is to protect users from themselves, more than anything else. (I don't think we should be concerned with SEO for NESDev, but I do think protecting its users is worth considering.)

Actually the executables thing is why I feel a bit anxious about all the binaries hosted on my own website. I try to put them on github, etc. where I can, but a lot of my hobby stuff isn't applicable to that, and I don't want someone to get malware because they tried to download my game demo at a coffee shop. I wish my site had HTTPS for that reason.
Last edited by rainwarrior on Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

By the way, https://wiki.nesdev.com/ appears to redirect to http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/Nesdev_Wiki, which seems like a problem for users that are trying to use HTTPS.

There's probably a bunch of places on this site that hop from HTTPS to HTTP... I imagine this is a pain to do consistently if you're not just always redirecting to HTTPS.

Don't feel like I'm pushing for HTTPS here. I'd prefer to be using it, personally, but please just do whatever you think is best for the site. I was OK with it being HTTP in the past, and I'd be OK with that in the future too. (It's obviously an administration hassle.)
zzo38

Post by zzo38 »

tepples wrote:This is also why there are proposals to limit the Fullscreen API to a secure context, so that a site can't phish your banking credentials or PII by simulating the operating system and browser chrome and making you think you're on a site that you're not on.
Limiting fullscreen API to a secure context doesn't help so much (it does prevent unauthorized MITM, but that's all it helps with). Disabling it entirely (with fullscreen enabled only if user agree and activates it) is better.
rainwarrior wrote:I prefer that sites that offer binary executables for download use HTTPS, so that I know I'm getting the file I expect. (I think there's at least a few of these on the forum.)
That is sensible, and I generally only offer source codes on my own server (except if the binary is designed to run in a sandboxed VM anyways)
tepples wrote:I've added a private custom profile field "Redirect to HTTPS" of type Boolean. How easy would it be to wire up automatic redirection if and only if this is checked?
That might work, but I think the following is a better idea:
  • Make files available over both HTTP and HTTPS, with no redirect in either direction if no cookies are set to indicate to do so.
  • Next to the "login" link, also add a "secure login" link. When "secure login" is selected, cookies are set secure-only, except for the redirect cookie. Logout clears all of these cookies, and cancels the redirect even if you login again insecurely.
  • For wiki, to do the similar thing too.
I don't know if either your or my idea are easier or more difficult to implement.
(Free Hero Mesh - FOSS puzzle game engine)
tepples

Post by tepples »

koitsu wrote:Let's Encrypt certs expire every 30 days (apparently this has been increased to 90). There are "hacks" (as in shitty shell scripts, and generally borderline ridiculous nonsense) to try and "automate" getting a new cert + putting it in place via this method, which is disappointing when compared to, say, an actual decent CA (ex. NameCheap, Gandi, etc.) which will send you an Email reminding you that your certs need to be renewed before their expiry.
LE also sends mail before the 90 days are up.
koitsu wrote:So, at NameCheap, that's either $9/year (if you had separate certs, one per hostname; PositiveSSL), or $30/year (one cert for both hostnames, one as CommonName the other as a subjectAltName; PositiveSSL Multi-Domain).
For what it's worth, after StartSSL's new owners severely mismanaged it, I recently switched pineight.com's certificate to Namecheap and paid $15 for 3 years.
tepples

Post by tepples »

An Apache rule for redirecting only modern browsers to HTTPS, suggested by ndiddy on gbdev Discord

Code: Select all

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP:Upgrade-Insecure-Requests} =1
RewriteRule ^ https://%{SERVER_NAME}%{REQUEST_URI} [END,NE,R=permanent]
ndiddy

Post by ndiddy »

tepples wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:45 pm An Apache rule for redirecting only modern browsers to HTTPS, suggested by ndiddy on gbdev Discord

Code: Select all

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP:Upgrade-Insecure-Requests} =1
RewriteRule ^ https://%{SERVER_NAME}%{REQUEST_URI} [END,NE,R=permanent]
As clarification, this is aimed at people like me running static personal webpages, and it's mainly so browsers don't bitch at you for going to a non-https page. It looks like the trend will eventually lead to requiring HTTPS and blocking insecure HTTP sites entirely so it's mostly for future-proofing for that eventuality while retaining compatibility with old browsers. It's not a good idea to do this for websites that accept user credentials, etc and it can be trivially defeated by an attacker because HTTP headers are transmitted in plaintext so all the attacker would have to do is remove the "Upgrade-Insecure-Requests" header.
tepples

Post by tepples »

As for why I shared this rule:

The information security scene has of late been shaming website operators for not automatically redirecting all HTTP hits to HTTPS and shaming website operators for not turning away users of web browsers that support only TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1. This has made it impossible for users of old computers to browse many popular websites even in read-only mode, as web browsers have tended to drop Windows 98 support before adding TLS 1.2.

The dogma:
  • Don't make a website HTTP-only because an eavesdropper on the same network can intercept users' passwords.
  • Don't accept passwords through HTTPS and then redirect to HTTP because an eavesdropper on the same network can intercept users' session cookies using tools such as Firesheep.
  • Don't offer even the logged-out, read-only view through HTTP because a man in the middle can inject advertisements or other malicious code, as Xfinity by Comcast has been caught doing. This can cause your website to develop a reputation for spreading infection that it doesn't deserve. Instead, redirect all HTTP hits to HTTPS and use HSTS to make the browser automatically redirect type-in traffic to HTTPS on the same website in the future.
  • Don't offer SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, or TLS 1.1 because a man in the middle can exploit serious flaws that have been discovered with these protocol versions.
Recently I asked on Slashdot about HTTPS on old OSes, and the replies were to the effect:
  1. Are you serious? (My question was moderated "Funny".)
  2. Website operators pandering to unsupported operating systems are leaving their users' personal information and their websites' reputation "at risk in order to pander to one [ableist slur]."
  3. Users of Windows 98 should switch to some Linux or FreeBSD distribution that still supports old hardware and access websites that way.
cyberpunkrocker on Slashdot had this to say about Chrome dropping support for pre-SSE3 x86-64 CPUs: "Anyone running Windows on these 'ancient' CPU's (Personally, I consider an 'ancient CPU' being something like 6502 or Z80) and connecting it to internet is an utter, complete [ableist slur]." Shoutouts to NESdev and SMS Power, I guess, while maintaining a division between computing devices as targets for offline development and devices as daily drivers.

As for HTTPS-only mode: HTTPS requires a fully qualified domain name or some other way of establishing certificate trust. Once HTTPS-only mode becomes common, who pays for the domain name and DNS hosting for the router, printer, network attached storage (NAS) box, or other appliances on a home LAN that expose a web server for administration? It's not a given that the device's manufacturer is willing to pay, and this is even less of a given after a product's 12-month warranty expires.
Individualised

Post by Individualised »

It's broken again, site certificate expired yesterday. Can't use the site without getting the same nagging message every time I load a new page.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Individualised wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:08 pmcertificate expired yesterday
Thirteen minutes ago. (Which might be yesterday, depending on your time zone.) I was about to post about it myself. Maybe someone missed the "it's time to renew your certificate" email...
Individualised

Post by Individualised »

Joe wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:13 pm
Individualised wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:08 pmcertificate expired yesterday
Thirteen minutes ago. (Which might be yesterday, depending on your time zone.) I was about to post about it myself. Maybe someone missed the "it's time to renew your certificate" email...
Safari told me it expired yesterday but I checked and it's lying. So, yes, it expired today at 12:59 AM.

EDIT: And I guess it just auto-renewed? That was quick.
brizzo
Site Admin

Post by brizzo »

It has now been fixed, not sure what went wrong. We use AutoSSL and reviewing the logs from yesterday the daily script acknowledged it was about to expire but for some reason did not issue a request for a new one...