It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:55 pm 

Hi,
I used Ubuntu as a secondary OS for a while, but then it stopped working for no particular reason. I re-installed Kubuntu 10.10 (I took KDE for a change, I like to try different thing). However, this is a huge disapointment so far. A lot of thing that were working fine with Gnome are non-existant on KDE :

- I can't change menu.lst to get Windows on the top of the list, the old menu.lst is still here in the /boot/grub directory, and I can't find any new one. Does anyone know how to change the bootlist ?

- I can't find that cool tool where you type the name of a program, and that automatically download packages and install them.

- The default web browser (rekonq) sucks. I tried downloading Opera packages, but I can't even install them ! It just refuses to do anything with them.
The apt get-install command never works either.

So if nobody can help me I'll have to install my older Ubuntu version again, as KDE really REALLY sucks so far.

Last edited by Bregalad on Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:38 pm 

Bregalad wrote:
I re-installed Kubuntu 10.10 (I took KDE for a change, I like to try different thing). However, this is a huge disapointment so far. A lot of thing that were working fine with Gnome are non-existant on KDE :

- I can't change menu.lst to get Windows on the top of the list, the old menu.lst is still here in the /boot/grub directory, and I can't find any new one. Does anyone know how to change the bootlist ?

Did you follow the official instructions?

Quote:
- I can't find that cool tool where you type the name of a program, and that automatically download packages and install them.

Open a terminal and sudo apt-get install software-center

Quote:
The apt get-install command never works either.

"Never works" never helps. What error message do you get?

Quote:
So if nobody can help me I'll have to install my older Ubuntu version again, as KDE really REALLY sucks so far.

I've never used Kubuntu; I'm more a GNOME fan. Ubuntu 10.10 works for me, and it works for my boss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:27 am 

Quote:
Did you follow the official instructions?

(EDIT : Never mind I didn't see that the instruction were different from version 10.10.)

Quote:
"Never works" never helps. What error message do you get?

Well for example I just tried exactly what you said :
apt get-install software-center

and I get something like that :

reading package...done
E : impossible to find package software-center
:cry:

Quote:
I'm more a GNOME fan.

Yeah I was much more satifacted when I tried gnome ! Maybe it's I who suck or something, but for the non-computer science PHD; gnome is better to use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:15 am 

Yeah for some TOTALLY unknown reason, the apt-get intall command started working now. I guess I had to do something so that it install itself or something weird in the like, now it works wonders. I'm happy I got linux working again.

Post subject: Sudo make me a sandwich
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:24 am 

A few possibilities:
  • Perhaps you were mistyping it ("apt get-install" or "apt-get intall" vs. the correct "apt-get install").
  • Perhaps you forgot to sudo, and apt-get couldn't access folders writable only by root.
  • If you haven't installed software in a while, you might need to update the list of available packages. To do that:
    sudo apt-get update
    Perhaps it started working again once the update manager automatically ran sudo apt-get update in the background to check for updated packages.