Submapper info in each mapper's article

Discussion about the site's wikis, including bugs/issues encountered.

Moderator: Moderators

NewRisingSun

Submapper info in each mapper's article

Post by NewRisingSun »

I find it awkward that all approved submappers are listed on a single entry and not on the corresponding mapper's entry. I think that a particular mapper's entry should list all information pertaining to it, including submappers, excluding only ASIC information shared among several mappers.
rainwarrior

Re: Submapper info in each mapper's article

Post by rainwarrior »

Yes, submappers should be mentioned at least in each relevant mapper article. Probably some of them just haven't been updated yet. Which ones are missing?
NewRisingSun

Post by NewRisingSun »

Almost of them. I'm not talking about the submapper page being linked to somewhere deep within the mapper entry, I'm saying that all the submapper info of mapper should be inside the mapper entry, and not on a submapper entry.

Also:
The suggested method to assign a mapper number is not to assign one unless you have at least either A. a hardware implementation or B. an emulator implementation and a sketch of hardware. (You should probably also have written at least part of the game too)
What the hell. One should have written a part of the game before adding a mapper description? I hope this was supposed to only apply to homebrew releases, although it doesn't say that, because otherwise it would be beyond ridiculous.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

That's supposed to mean that there should be a publicly-available thing for emulator authors to test against in order to allocate a mapper.

And, for novel homebrew mappers, it should be a reasonably close-to-finished product so that it's not a graveyard of incomplete projects.
NewRisingSun

Post by NewRisingSun »

That's nice, but not what the quoted sentence says, at all. What it says is that if I dump Asian cart BTL-SuperDuper8371-in-1 that I bought in Taiwan, I cannot assign a mapper number for it unless I have written one of the games on it myself.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

This is the nesdev forum. Of course we only initially thought about people allocating new mappers for homebrew.

I've edited the text in the wiki page.
NewRisingSun

Post by NewRisingSun »

Thanks. I'd still have more to say on this subject, but I suppose I'd better give it a rest for now, and continue documenting the VTxx and whatnot instead. ;)
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

I don't know how that sentence came about, but I'd put it more like:

Do not allocate mappers for future software. The wiki should be used only to document mappers that exist now, i.e. have a ROM you can run with it (and ideally a test ROM as well).

If you're planning a future release, you can do whatever you want privately, but it's not useful on the wiki until there's something we can actually run with that mapper.

I guess the description given was also sort of a "we don't like fantasy mappers that have nothing to do with hardware" concern, but personally I haven't ever seen anybody who has wanted to do that and also managed to produce a useful ROM, so I think it's a bit of a moot point if we just filter out the "future wishlist" allocations.