Wiki

Discussion about the site's wikis, including bugs/issues encountered.

Moderator: Moderators

laughy

Wiki

Post by laughy »

Hey Q, I'm an avid user of the wiki, and I know you know that it's slow and goes down a lot: what is currently preventing us from moving it to another server? I would be more than happy to contribute mine if one is needed. Even having a backup to use when the wiki goes down would be nice to have.
Quietust

Post by Quietust »

Optimally, it will be moved onto this server once I can make the necessary arrangements with koitsu (which, given his inability to address the problem of the forum Search function being broken, will probably never happen).

Also, the downtime yesterday was entirely due to router problems - the server itself has been running solid for the past 2 weeks (which is odd, since all we did was swap the two DIMMs between their slots - beforehand, one of them was giving frequent errors in memtest86+).
Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
laughy

Post by laughy »

Quietust wrote:Optimally, it will be moved onto this server once I can make the necessary arrangements with koitsu (which, given his inability to address the problem of the forum Search function being broken, will probably never happen).

Also, the downtime yesterday was entirely due to router problems - the server itself has been running solid for the past 2 weeks (which is odd, since all we did was swap the two DIMMs between their slots - beforehand, one of them was giving frequent errors in memtest86+).
Since apparently you come to the conclusion it will never be moved to this server, what is wrong with hosting it on another, much faster and reliable one (possibly until that time)?
85cocoa

Post by 85cocoa »

laughy wrote:Since apparently you come to the conclusion it will never be moved to this server, what is wrong with hosting it on another, much faster and reliable one (possibly until that time)?
Something about the monetary cost, maybe?
Warning: I am not a serious developer (yet), but CS and EE really interest me.
I was -_pentium5.1_- until I screwed up. This is why I screwed up. ^_^
laughy

Post by laughy »

Which is why I offered mine for free...
85cocoa

Post by 85cocoa »

Oops, didn't read your post carefully enough... Even if money were no object, Quietust might be too busy to work on transferring the wiki to another server right now. Also, what evidence do you have to prove that your server is reliable?
laughy

Post by laughy »

It's a professional host...that's what they do
85cocoa

Post by 85cocoa »

laughy wrote:It's a professional host...that's what they do
Oops, sorry... What's the name of the hosting company?
Quietust, any opinions here?