It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: wiki is down ?
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:59 pm 

Anyone notice the wiki is down ?

matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 5:03 pm 

I will send an email to Atarimike for this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:08 pm 

Sorry for the double post. Atarimike received my message and fixed the issue. The wiki is now back online.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:47 pm 

Oh yeah! Wiki is down again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:10 pm 

Good to see this is becoming a recurring thing. ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:03 am 

Yeah. It's the itch that doesn't want to go!... I asked Atarimike already. They changed a port on the firewall so we lost access to the server. Should be fixed tomorow. I'm happy that I have a local copy (kind of) of the site.

Maybe I should make one someday for everyone or just copy the site "without permission" on parodius since the new wiki idea doesn't seems to move forward anyway. It always fail when I check content. Murphy law I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:12 am 

If it were definitively OK to start adding information to wiki.nesdev.com, I could try to document what I know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:01 am 

tepples wrote:
If it were definitively OK to start adding information to wiki.nesdev.com, I could try to document what I know.

This is a good question. I think it will not be possible to make a "perfect" wiki from the start since we don't have the time and resource to do it. We all have our jobs and are busy after all. If we wait for perfect the format, the perfect design.. It will never happen. Nothing is perfect.

Since the original wiki is down a few time and the content doesn't have any real license, I think we should re-use most of the content and try to organize it at the same time, if time allows it. Already having the main sections copied to it would be already useful when the "main" server is failing. I asked to make a mirror but I never got an answer for that so the only way to make one will be to do it by hand.

If some people have some objection to copying then they can raise it but I would be surprised. The goal of this wiki is to have some resource for the community so as long as the content is available, people will be more than happy with it. Copying the content will just make sure that we have a backup of it. That's how I see it.

Any objection?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:36 pm 

Quote:
I think it will not be possible to make a "perfect" wiki from the start since we don't have the time and resource to do it. We all have our jobs and are busy after all. If we wait for perfect the format, the perfect design.. It will never happen. Nothing is perfect.

you're missing the point of a wiki if you're trying to make it perfect from the get go. the beauty of a wiki is that it's extremely simple to organize information. all you need is people to "brain dump" everything they know, then start organizing it.

i just launched an online classroom wiki for a college teacher.. if we waited until it was perfect, it would never have got off the ground! lol

BE BOLD! thats the wiki philosophy..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:15 pm 

frantik wrote:
BE BOLD! thats the wiki philosophy..

I will be bold then!... Bad joke, I know ;)

For now I just want to make an almost identical mirror so this would already help us when the main is down. Then I want to change the structure little by little.

I feel bad about copying the content and some people may say that I will fragment the wiki by doing so.. But I don't think that way. To make an analogy (a bad one but that's the only one that came to my mind), there may be many distribution of linux but it in the end, they're all *nix based OS and anybody can take the code and decide to make a better version if they feel like it. I want to make a new wiki but if you don't like it, I want to give the right to anybody to copy the content and make another one the way they like. This is one of my goal, no control on the content and you're free to do what you want with it.

It could create many fork but since the nes scene is quite niche, I don't expect that thousand wiki would emerge suddenly ;)

I will see if I can copy some content soon unless someonereally object to it but right now no voice have been heard so I will take it as a "go for it" sign.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:30 pm 

it takes a few weeks for anyone to notice the site is down.. i doubt anyone will notice/care if you mirror it :) almost all of the information on it is already in the public domain or is contained on many public domain documents so i can't imagine it being a "big deal"

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:36 pm 

FWIW, I'm with frantik on this one.

I think you guys are putting too much effort into prepping the ball for rolling vs. rolling it. The long-ass "register description" forum post made me cringe, even though I see the point in it.

Too much preparation planning and not enough content. :-) Wish I could contribute, but you guys know a hell of a lot more than I do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:23 pm 

frantik wrote:
it takes a few weeks for anyone to notice the site is down.. i doubt anyone will notice/care if you mirror it :)

Since I do a little bit of nes related programming everyday, I happen to visit the site a few times a week. So I notice it a little bit faster than everyone and end up sending a mail to Atarimike for doing the follow up. If I don't, the server doesn't come back online... Getting fed up by that. I almost became the admin of the wiki already :P bootgod db is down since 2 days ago but that's another case, maybe maintenance.

frantik wrote:
almost all of the information on it is already in the public domain or is contained on many public domain documents so i can't imagine it being a "big deal"

:)

That's what I thought too. Ok, I will start the "transfer" of the data as soon as I can then. Once the site is almost finish, I will make the announcement for the new mirror.

koitsu wrote:
FWIW, I'm with frantik on this one.

I think you guys are putting too much effort into prepping the ball for rolling vs. rolling it. The long-ass "register description" forum post made me cringe, even though I see the point in it.

Too much preparation planning and not enough content. :-) Wish I could contribute, but you guys know a hell of a lot more than I do.

I know. For now we should just focus on making the content available on a more stable server/network to reduce the downtime. Parodius server are quite stable so I guess the downtime will be close to none, which is a good thing.

Let's do the planning later then. I made 2 wiki for that reason anyway so for now I will focus on availability of content for wiki #1.

I still don't know that much about the nes except for a few quirk with the mmc3 and some pins/bank usages on vrc one but I hope I can contribute later in the tutorial section regarding how to take care of you assets when you make a game. I think this is something that maybe people wants to know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:19 pm 

I'm all for the "let's dump everything we know" idea. There is a great deal of information discovered since the most famous/detailed docs were written, and the current wiki is too vague when it comes to this kind of new information. I'm not very good at planning things, but I will contribute to as many sections as I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:22 pm 

Banshaku wrote:
I know. For now we should just focus on making the content available on a more stable server/network to reduce the downtime. Parodius server are quite stable so I guess the downtime will be close to none, which is a good thing.

The kicker is: when the servers aren't stable, I usually know why, and I try hard to provide verbose explanations as to why. The recent ordeal with the SQL server was... interesting, to say the least. I'm still working on purchasing hardware to get all of that dealt with on a more permanent basis.

Which reminds me, we're going to have some downtime tonight (kernel security holes to patch), but shouldn't be more than ~30 minutes at most.

EDIT: Said maintenance went without a hitch.