It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:43 pm 

I started to search a little bit on the subject but couldn't find the answer that I'm looking for.

I know the wiki can have many theme mono is the default one. But what I would like to know is if it's possible to apply a specific theme to one section of the wiki only. Is it possible to do so?

The reason I would like to do that is for the nesdev main page. It would be interesting to apply the original color theme to that section.

If anybody knows about the subject, please let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:34 am 

Seems relevant:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:FAQ#How_do_I_edit_the_wiki.27s_CSS.3F

I'm not sure how to get this on a "per page" basis. Otherwise there might be a MediaWiki extension which you can install that gets you what you need; I've never really messed around with the Wiki software before. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:48 pm 

Thanks for taking the time to find the page. I checked it and I'm aware of those 2 option. If you edit the common.css trough the wiki, all pages are affected so this is not what I'm looking for unfortunately.

There seems to be an extension for this, I found one yesterday night very late here and here. So this mean is not a standard way of editing the content.

One thing you can do is to add CSS style to a specific tag like a div one. I tried it but the problem is that many other tag inside that content that comes from the wiki have their own style that you have to override and I think you cannot define it in that div that directly, I think. I need to check more about CSS editing since I didn't really do much myself.

The main reason for this is I want to restore the style of the nesdev webpage in the wiki to look almost like the original page colors. Some people may not like it but I want to keep the page identity to the most I can. After easily 10 years of being that way (I think or am I wrong?), you grew found of the page, like a game you want to play in an emulator after a while ;) I want to emulate the style of the page.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:28 pm 
Site Admin

Banshaku wrote:
The main reason for this is I want to restore the style of the nesdev webpage in the wiki to look almost like the original page colors. Some people may not like it but I want to keep the page identity to the most I can. After easily 10 years of being that way (I think or am I wrong?), you grew found of the page, like a game you want to play in an emulator after a while ;) I want to emulate the style of the page.

Yeah it was either in late '96 or mid '97 when I first put the html together, and had it up on Geocities. I had a separate NES ROM site on there too, where I'd post requested ROMs, heheh. :D (holy crap, it's archived.) Best thing on there was the 24hour.txt ROM warning I stole from a Usenet post.

So it must've been around '99 when koitsu offered the hosting and (sub)domain name. Actually I'm still a little curious, because I noticed there were sites that already linked to nesdev.com at the time, but I never saw exactly what was on there before I moved in. Check out the old ugly-ass color scheme, too. Blue links, horrible..

I appreciate you guys looking into adapting the wiki's color theme. It's be nice to have it continue with it's distinctive colors. That's one boring thing I've noticed about wikis, is they all look almost the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:20 pm 

With the plug-in I found, I will do my best to make it look like the original nesdev page. For now I cannot install it since my IP range is banned (asia) from home and it's a dynamic IP so I cannot ask Koitsu every time to add it.

I don't know yet if the plug-in will affect the complete page with side menu or just the content so I must test it first. You can see my current tests without the plugin with a CSS in a div here. Some people may not like it but you're still the owner after all and I understand the feeling to keep the identity of the page. I understood it from the beginning since I'm the same and tried right away to change the color ;)

I may not apply the style on the wiki directly since it may affect the readability of the content. I will try it but I already have a feeling that it may not be appropriate.

My first priority is to make the nesdev main page available on the wiki with it's original style so we can have a CMS to edit its content. After that, we can think about the wiki coloring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:09 am 

Rather than worrying so much about aesthetics, I would highly recommend spending that time updating the content and better breaking it down for ease-of-use. Right now, it's basically a massive wall of text and links. It's very sparsely organized and hard to digest. There are many links that don't merit front page billing, and must-reads are not highlighted.

Further, I can envision seeing the contents of the various documents broken down into the various theme-specific pages of the wiki with accompanying demos and utils, with individual index pages listing a given type of the original resources.

Let's organize some documentation, not focus on a background color.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:48 am 

Cheesemeister is right; see bike shed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:49 am 

Regarding the re-organizing, I'm totally aware that it must be done and agree with it. When the page was updated by Roth for the dead links a long time ago, I mentioned in a thread somewhere that we should sub divide the information by section in specific page since the page was too heavy.

Right now I cannot focus on that task since I don't have much time these days. My first goal was to make a prototype on how the page would look like in the wiki. The page content is moved and you helped me so I can consider that the first step is done. But it still needs to be approved by Memblers.

If you can focus on separating the content, I could focus on how to apply the actual color theme since Memblers seems fond of it (and so do I). It will require to be an admin to do that and this is what I am so I should focus on this task. This way, the process should go forward faster since our task will not overlap.

I will try to help separate in section in a later stage. For now I accomplished the first phase, make awareness of the possibility to put it on the wiki. Before, nobody proposed it and now the interest is there so things are going well don't you think? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:09 pm 

Banshaku wrote:
If you can focus on separating the content, I could focus on how to apply the actual color theme since Memblers seems fond of it (and so do I). It will require to be an admin to do that and this is what I am so I should focus on this task. This way, the process should go forward faster since our task will not overlap.

I will try to help separate in section in a later stage.

I've already said my piece, but let me just pose a few questions to you and I'll drop it.

1. You seem to indicate that the only reason to move to white text on a black background is because you and Memblers "like it." Is there any other reason?

2. What is more readable: black text on white, or white text on black?

3. What color scheme most mainstream websites use, and why?

4. Is your limited time better spent studying wiki colors or revising documentation?

5. Is changing the color scheme really worth the time?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:31 am 

Let put is simply: Who is the owner of the site? ----> Memblers. I think he has a right into it. The color scheme/logo as been there for a while and is part of the site identity. It's nothing to do about readability or things like that.

If he's fine with the normal wiki color and approve it then I don't need to research more on how to apply any CSS. The color scheme is for the nesdev page part only, not the wiki.

edit:

I will answer the question. I didn't want to answer first since it could be seen as flame but it shouldn't be seen that way.

1. Reason is mentioned above. Memblers is the owner so he has the right to take the final answer on what he likes or not. If he like the wiki standard color for the nesdev front page then let it be.

2. This can be subjective. Personnaly, I'm fine either way. Like some people prefer clear type and other people hate it like hell.

3. Nesdev is a very, very niche site so you shouldn't worry too much about that ;)

4. My time would be better spent on my own project ;) As long as it doesn't take me 2 month, I don't mind to spend a little bit of time to install 1 plug-in and make 1 CSS to overwrite the page content of the nesdev front page only if it helps Memblers. That site wouldn't exist in the first place if Memblers wasn't there.

5. Extension of #4. I don't mind to spend a little bit of time for helping Memblers. I don't want to spend too much time on it thought.

This is my only intention. If Memblers prefer a lime background with pink dot, even if doesn't make it readable then so be it. I may complain a little bit thought ;) But right now the color scheme is not that bad but I mentioned that I don't want to apply it to the main wiki content. The plug-in, if it does work properly in the first place, allow you to apply a CSS to a specific page only. If it doesn't work then I will drop it and Tell memblers "no can do", that's it.