It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:03 am 

The Wiki is a good way to retrieve bunches of nes information. But, it has a little drawback : all articles are in english.

So, yes english is an international language and most of people understand english quite well :). However, it can be a brake to the non english n00b that wants to learn how nes works and other asm stuff.

So, I was just wondering creating nesdev wikis in all languages just like wikipedia does. What are your opinions about that: is it possible, is it hard to configure ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:19 am 

Information available in many languages is good, but most people can't learn from documentation alone, most need to ask questions and such, and it seems that there isn't an efficient way to get support in many languages other than english. The only good place I know to get support regarding the NES is here.

Here in Brazil it's pretty hard to find anyone interested in programming for such old consoles. Besides me, I've only met two other people interested in it, and they used the english docs just fine. So I feel like it would be a waste of my time to translate anything to portuguese. Also, I think english is the best language to talk about technical stuff, it's very straightforward, concise and versatile. There are certain words that just don't translate well, such as "engine", "stack", "array", "register", "scroll", and so on, and it's just silly to use the english words in the middle of sentences.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:28 am 

There's a small community of NES enthusiasts in germany, but they're mostly collectors, their site is more like the german equivalent of nintendoage.
I'm not sure if people would be any more interested in giving nesdev a try if there were german tutorials, but I do know it might help them understand more easily, since not everyone is an exceptionally good english speaker and technical documents can become quite frustrating to read.

Translating the entire wiki and nesdev documents might be a bit too ambitious, but maybe it's possible to have some sort of basic guidelines in multiple languages that explain how to get started and how to use the english documents that are available?

tokumaru wrote:
Also, I think english is the best language to talk about technical stuff, it's very straightforward, concise and versatile. There are certain words that just don't translate well, such as "engine", "stack", "array", "register", "scroll", and so on, and it's just silly to use the english words in the middle of sentences.

I agree. Any german programming book would just use the english terms and I don't think it's silly, probably because we've gotten used to it. However, some people here use english words even if they have a perfect german equivalent, that is where the real silliness begins, if you ask me.

Anyway, these words aren't self-explanatory, even english speakers cannot know what they mean (in a programming context) by just looking at them, they're just a bit more familiar since they originate from their own language. Thus, I don't see a problem using them in other languages, similarly to how scientists use latin or english terms.
(or at least when using them in german, can't really speak for any of the other languages, maybe some countries are more strict and using english words in their language is frowned upon?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:42 am 

Quote:
There are certain words that just don't translate well, such as "engine", "stack", "array", "register", "scroll", and so on, and it's just silly to use the english words in the middle of sentences.

Yeah most of those word translate fine in french exept "scroll" which is effectively untransltatable. A lot of other words which don't come in my head right now are completely untranslatable and this can be annoying.

The worst is when dealing with sound, words such as "pitch", "fine tune", "key on", "square wave", "white noise" etc... are completely untranstlatable, and if they are translated literaly this sound really ridiculous.

So IMO translating tutorials should be worth it if some people are interested, but translating tech doccuments is useless, even someone who barely knowns english can understand stuff about registers and stuff (I did it back when I was 14ish and started nesdev).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:27 pm 

Bregalad wrote:
Yeah most of those word translate fine in french exept "scroll" which is effectively untransltatable. A lot of other words which don't come in my head right now are completely untranslatable and this can be annoying.

Scrolling can easily be translated in french : "défilement". However, once you that to scroll means "faire défiler", you can use the english term for the rest of your doc :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:00 pm 

Rid wrote:
Scrolling can easily be translated in french : "défilement". However, once you that to scroll means "faire défiler", you can use the english term for the rest of your doc :)

Nice false friend there. In English, "defile" happens to mean pollute. Only an Atari 2600 fanboy would think that scrolling pollutes video games ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:23 pm 
Formerly ~J-@D!~

Bregalad wrote:
The worst is when dealing with sound, words such as "pitch", "fine tune", "key on", "square wave", "white noise" etc... are completely untranstlatable, and if they are translated literaly this sound really ridiculous.

What are you talking about???
white noise = bruit blanc
square wave = [url=http://fr.audiolexic.org/wiki/Onde_carr%E9e]onde carr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:53 pm 

It's not like the terms don't exist in other languages, but it seems they aren't as consolidated as in english. In portuguese at least, many of these terms have been translated in different ways depending on the author that wrote about the subject, and many times you can't be sure what exactly it means until you read more of the text where the terms are used.

In portuguese, scrolling is often translated as "rolagem", something like "rolling" in english, I just don't think it's as good as the original. For me the translated terms don't have the same weight as the english originals. I just can't read a book about programming in portuguese, there is always something off about them.

Another reason why it makes a lot of sense to study programming in english is that all programming languages (well, probably not all, but the serious ones) are based on the english language. At work, I've always named my variables in english, even though none of my co-workers did it. I though that IF statements and such with conditions written in portuguese looked really silly.